• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers is Rock Paper Shotgun's Game of the Year

emalord

I dig them twice
1. It is actually an addictive game
2. it is a PC exclusive

Since most of the "best" stuff on PC is actually a console port with better graphics but wouldn't exist without the console market, they decided to highlight a true PC Game in spirit and gameplay

Bravo RPS

Devil Daggers is one of those games that looks absolutely fantastic, but I will never play it because I would absolutely suck at it.

Congrats, Devil Daggers.

I wanted this game but I missed the halloween sale and it hasn't been discounted since. I figure my backlog is too huge anyways but I wanted to pick up this game for a while now.

forms

...how?

It's obvious they should have picked some boring AAA game that plays like the last 2000 AAA games so their site would not get too "clickbaity". God help you if you're just looking to get a small game some exposure on a meaningless list.

Many of us like the game, still found that it perhaps just did not reach all the way to "game of the year". I hope it is ok for us to post our opinions even though we do not work at RPS. I like the game, I really do, but as you have already stated previously my opinion is not wanted.

dude

dude
Are people seriously calling RPS' judgement into question simply because they chose a game that is not triple-A with a crazy marketing machine behind it?
What the hell. I mean, we should hope Game of the Year is awarded based on quality and merit - not the size of the marketing budget or how big the OT was on NeoGAF.
Hopefully we'll see more publications choosing a more diverse set of games as GoTY rather than whatever big triple-A series got its installment that year.

Many of us like the game, still found that it perhaps just did not reach all the way to "game of the year". I hope it is ok for us to post our opinions even though we do not work at RPS. I like the game, I really do, but as you have already stated previously my opinion is not wanted.

It's OK to disagree with a GoTY choice. I do it pretty much yearly. But most of the people in this thread didn't even discuss the actual game and its qualities. It's all about whether the choice is edgy or whatever.

gelf

You can't win with these lists. Pick a major AAA and your just a shill pandering to an audience or a publisher. Pick something more niche and your an edgy hipster looking for clicks. It's pathetic to care so much about a GOTY.

I know I would hate Devil Daggers because I'm terrible at FPS but if they loved it then fair play to them it's thier GOTY.

KonradLaw

You can't win with these lists. Pick a major AAA and your just a shill pandering to an audience or a publisher. Pick something more niche and your an edgy hipster looking for clicks. It's pathetic to care so much about a GOTY.

Don't forget the third option: pick Dark Souls/Bloodborne type of game just to pander to elitists ;D

Browsing through this thread it's like there are only 2 options: niche indie title OR AAA+ critically acclaimed blockbuster.
I lean more smaller titles myself. I appreciate a game like DD exists and I agree that it excels at what it wants to be. Yet I don't think there's enough to the gameplay to be considered GOTY. I believe half of RPS editors feel the same way.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh. Okay. I don't know why I had a snarky reaction. I'm not saying anything negative about the game. In fact, it's good to see it not going to a snooze like Uncharted 4.
EDIT: I realize I misunderstood your post so here's a revised response:

Variety is good and expanding games we know of is good. I think too many use these list as a metric to validate their opinions on what they know rather than expand their scope to experience games others enjoyed and might be worth checking out this year.

It also should be mentioned Rock, Paper, Shotgun is a PC Gaming exclusive website, so Uncharted 4 wouldn't of shown up anyways.

Top Bottom