• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers is Rock Paper Shotgun's Game of the Year

Yeah. I can understand why someone might consider this their GOTY. Doom is mine, but this is becoming a close second already. It's just right up my alley.
If DOOM is the modern update of Doom, Devil Daggers is the minimalist distilled version of Doom, stripped away everthing but the core elements: you, weapons, an arena, hellish demons that require different tactics, and fast combat where you never stop moving

Ah, the classic "it can't be geniune, it must be clickbait/for attention/have an agenda" rationale..

There's a very real contingent of people that barely play games anymore (only read about them) and discount anything from a major publisher. I have 2-3 of them in my circle of friends and they are insufferable to talk shop with the amount of snide condescension thats flung your way if you don't strictly play the 'Dwarf Fortress of the week'.

The reason people are of fond of the Dreamcast era because there were risky/untested game concepts with actual budgets behind them.

It's a cool game, but I really want it to be fleshed out with a full campaign, or at the very least have a few more survival-style levels. It's hard to stick with it because the only level in the game is Final Destination.

If DOOM is the modern update of Doom, Devil Daggers is the minimalist distilled version of Doom, stripped away everthing but the core elements: you, weapons, an arena, hellish demons that require different tactics, and fast combat where you never stop moving

so what you're telling me is that this is one of those rare indie games that's a minimalist take on something that is way better

Nzyme32

I can easily respect them for the choice. Such a fun game, but the sound design and aesthetic is just beautiful. Really love it.

There's a very real contingent of people that barely play games anymore (only read about them) and discount anything from a major publisher. I have 2-3 of them in my circle of friends and they are insufferable to talk shop with the amount of snide condescension thats flung your way if you don't strictly play the 'Dwarf Fortress of the week'.

The reason people are of fond of the Dreamcast era because there were risky/untested game concepts with actual budgets behind them.
And from that you conclude this is a "contrarian pick to court attention of the 'AAA is garbage' crowd"? From that site that praised Titanfall 2, XCOM 2, Overwatch, Hitman, The Division, DOOM, Dishonored 2, Civilization, and Deus Ex all this month?

This game is impossible. I'm using a $5 mouse tho...

I just wish it had controller support, I could see myself enjoying it much more

Kevtones

Hmmm never heard of this game. It's PC only yeah?

Watching vids I can really appreciate its design sensibility and focused mayhem. It knows what it is and that's refreshing.

Or they were just 10 and had a dreamcast and nothing else to play.

I had not heard of this game. Doesn't look like my cup of tea but I'm glad it was highlighted.

Whenever someone starts complaining about what is or isn't game of the year, just remember dragon age inquisition and skyrim. Using the title to highlight a game is literally the only value you can get out of it because the actual awarding is absolutely meaningless.

RedSwirl

I guess my issue with Devil Daggers is that I like Doom and Quake because of the gunplay AND the level design. A lot of these modern Doom-likes just try to bring back the old-style gunplay which, while fun, doesn't complete the taste for me.

conman

I hate it when people like things.

But seriously, awesome choice. It's their willingness to say what they really think that keeps me reading RPS after so many other sites have ceased to interest me. Good on them, and good on Devil Daggers!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
For every guy who grows up and realizes there's no reason to care about this kind of subjective stuff, there's always two young territorial sprouts to take their place, and whine about how someone's personal opinion can be wrong.
Nah, thats true. I might have came off a little more mean spirited than intended.

epmode

Threads like this are always embarrassing. Come on, GAF.

While I own Devil Daggers, I always love seeing GOTY lists with stuff I'm unfamiliar with or games I didn't give a fair shake. It's a big industry.

owlbeak

This is an interesting choice! I haven't played the game, but I'll probably grab it to try it out after this.

I always like to see lesser-known games get recognition, especially with the review culture of late where anything less than an 8 is viewed as garbage. One thing I'd like to do next year is play more low-key titles like this. The game looks really fun, especially as a fan of Quake!

MazeHaze

Banned
This makes me wanna jump back in. Played an hour or so, but this game is fucking hard, I feel like I'll just get discouraged again.

Edit: dd is cool, but goty? It really seems like just a memorization thing. It's one level with dif waves, and brutal dificulty. Goty tho? Naw.

sanstesy

Such a hipster choice. I like the sentiment behind it and that it's a conversation starter. But let's be real? You feel that passionately about that game? Come on. It's a posture more than a legit pick.

I pick my nose everyday. Love doing it. Wouldn't call it my activity if the year though.

If I were the dev of the game I would literally retire reading this.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I hate it when people like things.

But seriously, awesome choice. It's their willingness to say what they really think that keeps me reading RPS after so many other sites have ceased to interest me. Good on them, and good on Devil Daggers!

Yeah, what incentive could a publication possibly have to make a contrarian pick to appear honest?

Yeah, what incentive could a publication possibly have to make a contrarian pick to appear honest?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I always find the conspiracy comments the oddest. It's either they liked the game and felt it worthy to be praised as such (much like the 400 posts in GAF's GOTY thread) or it was a purposefully contrarian pick to appear honest (to hoodwink those readers foolish enough to believe that this game could possibly be their GOTY pick)

Orayn

Okay let's just accuse everyone with an uncommon opinion of seeking attention. Nobody is sincere ever and only the most popular games can be honest choices for anything.

Okay let's just accuse everyone with an uncommon opinion of seeking attention. Nobody is sincere ever and only the most popular games can be honest choices for anything.

Only the most
substantive
games can be honest choices for anything.

You're right, thats why I offered up superhot as a better indie example....
Better by your definition and preferences. That doesn't mean it is a definitively better choice/example

By that definition, SuperHOT is a better choice than Inside too. All you do in Inside is jump, climb, grab, and pull things.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Only the most
substantive
games can be honest choices for anything.

Is Devil Daggers not substantive? Do people not score attack it? Is Geometry Wars not a valid game of the year for the year it came out? It looks to me, having just booted it up for the first time, that there's a pretty wide difference in skill between random players and the people on the top of the leaderboard. Complexity is not the same thing as substance and it's hard to imagine a game with a very high skill ceiling not having substance, even if the controls and content on display are simple.

Anyone here actually upset about a site's GOTY pick seriously needs to reevaluate some things. Even more astounding that people want to comment with what their personal GOTY is. Like does it matter at fuckin all? Why are we so obsessed with a popularity contest?

Corpekata

Banned
Dunno even what the people going for the "bu-bu-bu da clickbait" reasoning are even thinking about this.

Like, who's the people being baited by this? This is RPS, not IGN, they write a ton about indie games, and its very much in line with the tastes established by the site. Do you really think the "Gets really upset when an indie I haven't played is GOTY somewhere" market is lucrative for a site like RPS?

Hmmmm...

They're edgy.

...how?

Dunno even what the people going for the "bu-bu-bu da clickbait" reasoning are even thinking about this.

Like, who's the people being baited by this? This is RPS, not IGN, they write a ton about indie games, and its very much in line with the tastes established by the site. Do you really think the "Gets really upset when an indie I haven't played is GOTY somewhere" market is lucrative for a site like RPS?

It's obvious they should have picked some boring AAA game that plays like the last 2000 AAA games so their site would not get too "clickbaity". God help you if you're just looking to get a small game some exposure on a meaningless list.

In this atmosphere of "Content!!!!", I wonder how Tetris would have fared.

About as well as Bejeweled
it took off because it was a pack in for the first major portable

Anyway gotta get back to Wii Sports and Call of Duty, heard they're dropping dope zombie maps this week.

I've put a few hours into this and just can't quite get the flow for when the centipedes are out. I can do a few of those but end up always getting caught from behind. It's really addicting to see how far you can go.

Dumb reactions in this thread. People probably said the same thing about Gaf's choice of Bayonetta 2 in 2014 even though that was spot on just because it didn't win anywhere else or sell a lot of copies. People like what they like.

I feel like the more I understand the game the worse I get. Can't break 207 right now. Tried off an on all night and I always die at 192...

BigDes

A lot of people super mad that a site they apparently don't even go to named an indie game goty.

Not played Devil Daggers, might give it a look

Top Bottom