• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Two-Year Mystery Is Over: Glittermitten Grove is Frog Fractions 2

FelipeMGM

The article telling how they found out is amazing, def worth the click and read

http://kotaku.com/the-two-year-mystery-is-over-this-is-frog-fractions-2-1790505179

Frog Fractions 2 has been unearthed. A collective called the Game Detectives discovered the sequel to developer Jim Crawford’s viral, psychedelic browser game inside another Steam game after a two-year hunt.

Glittermitten Grove, released on Steam mid-December, contains Frog Fractions 2, sources report. Its description reads, “Just like the faeries in your garden, we love collecting berries for our prickleberry loaves and finding treasure with our special fribblesham fireworks. Come join us in our faerieland, full of strange adventure!”

Steam page of Glittermitten Grove

ss_dc843762a2dfdaa7c88f2c9c733a391d18632ab2.600x338.jpg

Also, looks like those sigils that were all over indie games for the past two years were indeed related to Frog Fractions 2

A humorously complex alternate reality game (ARG) lead up to Frog Fractions 2’s release. It involved 23 other indie games on Steam. Developers hid puzzle pieces inside those games as a part of Crawford’s ARG. The ARG soon bled into real life, at one point involving a letter from a “time traveler” found in a real-life library book in Berkeley, California. The most recent development before today’s release was the unlocking of a mystery box.

EDIT:

The funny thing about reporting a game as Frog Fractions 2 is that, whether it actually is or not, it's bound to see a spike in sales. Which is why I really hope they are certain about this one.

Gaspard

My friend is part of the ARG discord and told me this morning the game had been found (but didn't wanna tell me what it was :'( ), I was wondering when the leak would arrive.

Yay the mystery is over.

Wait, so the game isn't Frog Fractions 2 but Frog Fractions 2 is within the game?

It's the most Frog Fractions thing to have the reveal still be confusing

bounchfx

this is 20 bucks
it cannot be ff2
i do not believe

edit: oh god dammit I was certain I backed it on KS but I guess I didn't :(

Someone mentioned to me a few weeks back they were playing FF2 but I couldn't get any info out of them. This is cool to see tho.

not kidding. Person was well placed to do so and the timeline fits

Fdkn

The funny thing about reporting a game as Frog Fractions 2 is that, whether it actually is or not, it's bound to see a spike in sales. Which is why I really hope they are certain about this one.

this time is the real deal, I'm watching a friend play it

Cartman86

Banned
Sooo should I play that game? You don't have to spoil anything, but I would play if

A. it's just a stand alone game that isn't Frog Fractions but is still good.
B. Is really weird and basically has Frog Fractions 2 in it.

So, wait, is the glitter game something that spirals into insanity, or is it like it's own thing but FF2 is buried somewhere within it? £14.99 is a little above impulse buy for me right now so would like more information/opinions first :p

Krabboss

so um
Are there more secrets in the game then? Or is it just.. the game.
One of the play testers on Twitter is upset about the leak because it spoils the surprise. I would certainly hope there's more to it than the fact it's hidden in some 20 dollar game on Steam.

The article doesn't really explain the discovery very well. How did they find out it was Glittermitten Grove? When they got the Steam keys? When they turned the key in the physical box?

Considering it was a game published by Adult Swim that they didn't promote in any way, that should have been a giveaway. Oh well, they managed to keep it hidden for about a fortnight.

Considering how badly it sold in the meantime does illustrate the importance of advertising your Steam game outside of the Steam ecosystem.

Top Bottom