• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel self conscious about people that eat alone at restaurants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Say you're sitting at a table in a restaurant with your group, and there's a person eating by him/herself behind you at the next table.

Do you feel self conscious about them eavesdropping on your conversation?

The person has nobody to talk to so the assumption is that they are listening to the people near them. I'm not saying it's their fault or anything either. It's just natural that they would hear stuff if they're not busy focusing on something like a book.

I feel like I have to stop talking about personal stuff because that person is listening to every word of our chat. I have to try and pretend there's not some person behind me soaking in all the details about our lives that they have no business having access to.

I noticed this over the holidays when we were sitting at a table and this guy hung out by himself behind us for what seemed like hours and it kinda ruined things. I'm pretty sure he was done with his meal too.

Zombine

Banned
I don't talk like I am screaming so no I'm not particularly worried about people hearing my conversations.

entremet

I honestly don't even notice.

Solo diners aren't uncommon especially business travelers.

I usually sit at the bar if I'm dining solo, though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's a little paranoid don't you think? People are going to overhear your conversation anyway in a lot of crowded places like restaurants. That's kind of just something you have to accept in public places. People will overhear you in a packed elevator or a subway car or a bus or plane or tons of places. And just about all of them aren't going to care what you have to say.

Korey

That's a little paranoid don't you think? People are going to overhear your conversation anyway in a lot of crowded places like restaurants. That's kind of just something you have to accept in public places.

Not really. This isn't a problem with groups because everyone's engaged in their conversations it's hard to actually hear other groups of people talking.

So if the table next to me is a group of people then I'm not worried about them listening in (and it actually doesn't occur to me), unless they're like silent the entire time or something which would be weird.

HardRojo

Hey, I eat alone sometimes because I just felt like having a bite, I usually am on my phone texting, checking gaf and other stuff while eating, so I couldn't care less about some random people's conversation.

What I've learned, is that the people who eat alone, rarely do it because of sad reasons.

When I was sad and lonely, I never ate alone. When I started becoming happy, less anxious and had a lot of friends, I would eat alone if I needed to be somewhere and eat before.

Same with movies. If people can be alone in public, they really don't have anything sad to hide.

HStallion

Not really. This isn't a problem with groups because everyone's engaged in their conversations it's hard to actually hear other groups of people talking.

So if the table next to me is a group of people then I'm not worried about them listening in (and it actually doesn't occur to me), unless they're like silent the entire time or something which would be weird.

Yeah and have you ever road on a bus, train, airplane or any kind of transportation that packs you into a small space with tons of people for any extended amount of time? You can hear the person next to you easily and many people ride solo. Most people aren't that concerned about you and even if they do overhear your conversation they most likely don't care about it. You aren't that special.

Clockwork

No.

1) I doubt they give two shits about what you and your buddies are up to

2) You're in public. You can't have the expectation of a private convo while sitting in the restaurant

However, if they are catching wind of whatever you are talking about they are probably silently mocking you/laughing at you. I do it when I overhear most people. That's typically because they are already being loud or obnoxious though. I'm not trying to eavesdrop.

daviyoung

Banned
As soon as I notice them I stop the group conversation immediately and say "hey, look at that loner over there" and gesture to them. If they're egregiously ugly I even point.

Then our group has a hearty laugh at their expense during which some food may be thrown at them. We also make sure to kick their chair as we leave the restaurant.

Korey

Yeah and have you ever road on a bus, train, airplane or any kind of transportation that packs you into a small space with tons of people for any extended amount of time? You can hear the person next to you easily and many people ride solo. Most people aren't that concerned about you. You aren't the special.

To be fair, people aren't having conversations in planes though. Most people are silent. That's why it's not an issue there.

baxter-cain-baseketball-gif-disgust.gif

morikaze

Banned
These people should feel ashamed of themselves. It might sound extreme, but I think people who eat at restaurants alone should be openly shunned and perhaps even stoned.

StayDead

If your conversation is that private, then you should be doing it at home, not at a resturaunt for the whole world to hear.

Honestly, I eat alone (while not at resturaunts all that much as I don't have the money), but when I'm alone the last thing I want to do is waste my time eavesdropping on someone elses conversation.

dc89

As someone who has spent time away from home with work where I'm by myself a fair bit I can say when I'm eating alone I just browse my phone. I don't pay attention to any conversations going on around me.

HStallion

To be fair, people aren't having conversations in planes though. Most people are silent. That's why it's not an issue there.

That really has nothing to do with what I'm saying. You're focusing on the fact people give a shit about what you and your friends have to say in public. They aren't hanging on your every word.

:lol Get over yourself, you're not that important.

Also what the hell are you talking about in a group that it ruined everything even if someone did hear you? Sounds strange as hell.

Mivey

These people should feel ashamed of themselves. It might sound extreme, but I think people who eat at restaurants alone should be openly shunned and perhaps even stoned.
That's a bit severe. I think a fine and perhaps public service should be enough.

brawly

No. That's absurd. I don't spill my deepest secrets in restaurants and I don't see how any conversation is of any use to someone eavesdropping.

Are you paranoid, OP?

What I've learned, is that the people who eat alone, rarely do it because of sad reasons.

When I was sad and lonely, I never ate alone. When I started becoming happy, less anxious and had a lot of friends, I would eat alone if I needed to be somewhere and eat before.

Same with movies. If people can be alone in public, they really don't have anything sad to hide.

This is my experience also. There used to a guy at work who'd eat alone all the time, during lunch and we'd see him eating alone after work too. Decided to invite him to join us once and he said he no, he was enjoying his alone time before he went home to his teething twins.

Rad-

Lol what the hell? Even if they were listening to you, what does it matter? You don't know them.

... they aren't listening to you though.

I eat alone a lot because many times when I go to dinner break from work my break schedules don't go 1:1 with co-workers and I have to go alone to a restaurant. And I never listen to other people there (why would I? I don't give a shit about some strangers). I'm usually deep in my own thoughts and just focusing on the food.

Risible

I would hate for a stranger to hear me arguing with the management over whether or not I can get an egg on my burger.

That's a very narcissistic and self absorbed way of thinking. If you're not being loud and annoying, no one gives a damn what you're talking about in a restaurant. Furthermore, if the restaurant is busy enough, they can't hear you.

I eat alone at restaurants, and I don't give a shit.

Grow up OP.

sasimirobot

This might sound strange but I told me best friend that I went to a nice restaurant by myself and ordered 1 dish. He said that would be considered “pathetic" by most people. It was in Xi'an, China. So I guess set and setting might play a role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom