• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you watch / Have you returned to watching pro wrestling recently?

I like a lot of guys my age watched pro wrestling in the late 80's when 'Hulkamania' was running wild brother! all the way through to the 'New Generation' era of WWF around 1993 then bounced for a few years as it just seemed so out of touch with current trends, my age, my interests changing as I headed into puberty. I returned to it in the late 90's with the 'Attitude Era' headed by Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Mankind and Triple H. It had gone from 'say your prayers and eat your vitamins!' to 'I don't give a fuck, I'll beat your ass!', the typical late 90's edge of the time but boy was it great! There was much more violence, woman in bikini's, blood, factions and of course the famous 'Monday Night Wars' with WWF and WCW fighting over our attention on a weekly basis.

I fell off in a major way around 2006 when WWF changed their name to WWE, they became a publicly traded company, they changed TV networks which was way more strict (TV-PG instead of TV-14) and Vince's wife, Linda ran for office. This is when the theme of 'hustle, loyalty and respect' became the new slogan of the now WWE and John Cena ascended to become in many ways the new Hulk Hogan starting a near 20 year run at the top of the industry. It however felt like a massive regression to me along with a lot of the Attitude Era / WCW&NWO / ECW guys all retiring around the same time. I moved on to UFC as my third major interest behind videogames and soccer instead of pro wrestling. Funnily enough it was pro wrestler Brock Lesner who became UFC Heavyweight Champion not long after I started watching and it was a great 10 year run for me and MMA. Silva, GSP, Lesnar, Jones, Rousey, McGregor and Khabib. I loved it.

Where is this going? well if you're still with me, thanks. Last summer I got randomly recommended a short of a wrestler being almost killed by what looked like a botched 'pedigree'. It was a match between Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay (both New Japan Pro Wrestling stars who were fighting at AEW Supercard 'Forbidden Door' (where pro wrestlers from different promotions like AEW, New Japan, AAA and TNA could face each other in fantasy matches). With that clip lingering in my mind and some more research into AEW and what it was about I was hooked again and I have really enjoyed AEW, New Japan, Impact and clips now and again from TNT Sports on my youtube of WWE for the past year.

With the success of AEW (considering their age), The Rock recently returning to WWE and his planned match at Wrestlemania along with Vince retiring and handing the booking sheet to HHH have you returned recently or in the past few years or have you remained a lapsed fan who still enjoys watching Attitude Era clips on Youtube shorts / TikTok?

It seems like pro wrestling is currently in another boom period similar to the Hogan period of the 80's and the Attitude Era of the late 90's with AEW returning to Wembley Stadium this August and WWE brining it's first 'premium event' ever to Scotland in June 2024 is going to be even better than 2023!

I was never that big into wrestling, even though I was prime age for the Attitude Era.

Having said that, I've been following the WWE closer than ever with this latest boom, as you called it. It's been great! I'm bought in on Cody/Roman/Seth/The Rock drama. Tiffany Stratton is the shit and fun to watch with her acrobatics and being relatively new. CM Punk calling out Drew McIntyre on being "The Chosen One" ("Who gave you that name, Drew?" LMAO). Them being able to swear again.

I'm hyped for Wrestlemania!

I was never that big into wrestling, even though I was prime age for the Attitude Era.

Having said that, I've been following the WWE closer than ever with this latest boom, as you called it. It's been great! I'm bought in on Cody/Roman/Seth/The Rock drama. Tiffany Stratton is the shit and fun to watch with her acrobatics and being relatively new. CM Punk calling out Drew McIntyre on being "The Chosen One" ("Who gave you that name, Drew?" LMAO). Them being able to swear again.

I'm hyped for Wrestlemania!
I actually saw a clip of Tiffany's NXT match the other day and was blown away. It's the first time I've seen a female wrestler and been floored by how good they're. A shame she seems to have knee problems but let's hope she gets a bit of luck in terms of injury as it looks like she could keep up with the best on the roster. I must admit and I'm going to sound like a real sod here but I fast forward most womans matches when I watch AEW because they seem to wrestle in slow motion or it's a botch fest. if they could all wrestler like Miss Stratton I'd watch all female matches. Maybe I'm just misinformed and WWE have all the good female talent!

I actually saw a clip of Tiffany's NXT match the other day and was blown away. It's the first time I've seen a female wrestler and been floored by how good they're. A shame she seems to have knee problems but let's hope she gets a bit of luck in terms of injury as it looks like she could keep up with the best on the roster. I must admit and I'm going to sound like a real sod here but I fast forward most womans matches when I watch AEW because they seem to wrestle in slow motion or it's a botch fest. if they could all wrestler like Miss Stratton I'd watch all female matches. Maybe I'm just misinformed and WWE have all the good female talent!
I don't think you're alone in not being as invested in women's matches. It is what it is: you can't force people to watch something they're not interested in.

BUT! I watched Elimination Chamber: Perth from this year and with sincerity, the women's Elimination Chamber was my favorite match of the night. Naomi, Tiffany Stratton, Liv Morgan, Raquel Rodriguez, Bianca Belair, and Becky Lynch. They did so much to keep it varied, moving, and interesting. It was like a half-hour choreographed battle-dance. That was the first time I saw Tiffany and I thought she was some long-time well-established wrestler given she was in a big event like that, how polished she was, and the moves she was pulling off. Nope! She debuted in 2021 but only officially signed on the main roster at Smackdown this year. She made a fan of me.

The men's Elimination Chamber probably meant more to the fans that had been following all the guys' storylines, but to me, it was more drama-focused and less entertaining spectacle. Lots of downtime and selling the pain.

Kacho

I don’t actively watch the television but I tune in from time to time. Watched Royal Rumble. Will watch Wrestlemania this weekend. Went to an AEW show recently which was fun. Wrestling is slowly becoming interesting again.

WoJ

I've been a wrestling fan my whole life, but ironically missed most of the Attitude Era due to the fact my family didn't have cable growing up. The Ruthless Aggression era through about 2010 is peak wrestling to me. It mixed some of the edge of the Attitude Era with a better in ring product.

I have very mixed feelings about the current product.

To start, I detest Roman Reigns and entire Anoai family (except the Rock). Theyre all fucking boring as shit. I guess Jey Uso isn't too bad, but he will end up back with his brother sooner than later and eventually be an afterthought.

But back to Roman Reigns. Fuck that guy. Reigns is a total failure as a face of the company for the past decade. Dude was booed out of the building for years on end, managed to get the Rock booed out of the building in 2015. They tried over and over for years to coronate Reigns as the next face of the company and every time they tried it failed because the guy just isn't that good. Then they put the brakes on his push and tried to rehabilitate him, hid him with Shield reunions to try and get him over, only to re-push him again, to be rejected again. Rinse and repeat. This literally went on for 6 years. He only got baby face heat when he got cancer. I've never seem WWE push someone so hard at the expense of the entire roster. Say what you will about Cena, but Cena at least got over by himself as a baby face early in his career and that catapulted him up the card. He had some decent and memorable rivalries with guys like Edge, Orton, Jericho, Triple H, Batista and Punk who traded some victories with him. Reigns has no career defining rival, except maybe Brock, he's put no one over, and he has zero compelling memorable feuds (more on this later).

His current run started during empty arena pandemic shows and while I think him as champ from Summerslam 2020 to Wrestlemania 37 was actually pretty good it ran its course a long time ago. People point to "The Bloodline" as some sort of career defining story arc that Reigns orchestrated. To that I say "lol, okay." All Reigns has done during the Bloodline storyline is say "Acknowledge me" and sat in the back with a mean look on his face while Jey Uso, Paul Heyman and Sami Zayn propped that angle up and did all the work to get the crowd invested. It goes back to my point above about Reigns. The guy who is the face of your company isn't around, and isn't actually doing anything but is being propped up by smoke and mirrors with guys like Sami Zayn, Paul Heyman, and Jey Uso. You could replace Roman Reigns with a guy like Chad Gable and get similar results business wise because of the WWE brand and machine. Just book Gable as this former Olympian who is a beast because of his technical background.

All this to say, as a fan, it's hard for me to be truly invested I the product when WWE has spent ten years giving Dwayne's cousin the push of the millennium and kayfabe wise booked him as one of the best ever despite the fact his entire career is smoke and mirrors.

The rest of the product is okay. Triple H relies too much on long title reigns to drive things forward. Long title reigns have their place but when every reign is long or beyond a year it gets boring.

There are also too many vanilla midgets and charisma vacuums. Guys like Richochet, Finn Balor, Johnny Gargano, and Damian Priest (although he has improved) blow and just roll through mOvEZ for the sake of doing them. That style has its place but it's too prevalent nowadays.

I do think WWE has a solid main event picture behind Reigns. McIntyre, Rollins, Gunther, Randy Orton,Lashley, Rhodes, and Punk near the top with guys like LA Knight, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in that upper mid card spot with the ability to main event as needed.

Triple H is much better at booking cohesive stories that make sense and his shows flow better. But the sooner Roman Reigns loses and fucks off to Hollywood the better. Fuck that guy.

I don't follow AEW a ton. I like that their product has a grittier feel to it. But Tony Khan is a moron.

So I don't know. Wrestling is fine. I personally don't get the "boom" narrative, but hey whatever works.

intbal

I started out with Mid-South Wrestling in the early 80s. I didn't care as much for WWF, but I did see Wrestlemania III PPV. By that time, I was in 8th grade and lost interest in wrestling. And how do you beat Hulk slamming Andre? No place to go but down after that.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I recently watched a Smackdown episode and can't get onto it.
No one in my eyes has that "it" factor making me want to commit.

I was also a fan in the 80's and during the "Attitude" Era.

Also great memories attending local house shows in the 80's.
We had this Montreal/Quebec rivalry between Dino Bravo & Rick Martel 😆
The Rougeau bros. were also great to watch.
I'll always remember the Road Warriors (Legion of Doom) entrance into a smoke filled arena to Ozzy's "Iron Man" & the crowd going nuts 😁

I've been a wrestling fan my whole life, but ironically missed most of the Attitude Era due to the fact my family didn't have cable growing up. The Ruthless Aggression era through about 2010 is peak wrestling to me. It mixed some of the edge of the Attitude Era with a better in ring product.

I have very mixed feelings about the current product.

To start, I detest Roman Reigns and entire Anoai family (except the Rock). Theyre all fucking boring as shit. I guess Jey Uso isn't too bad, but he will end up back with his brother sooner than later and eventually be an afterthought.

But back to Roman Reigns. Fuck that guy. Reigns is a total failure as a face of the company for the past decade. Dude was booed out of the building for years on end, managed to get the Rock booed out of the building in 2015. They tried over and over for years to coronate Reigns as the next face of the company and every time they tried it failed because the guy just isn't that good. Then they put the brakes on his push and tried to rehabilitate him, hid him with Shield reunions to try and get him over, only to re-push him again, to be rejected again. Rinse and repeat. This literally went on for 6 years. He only got baby face heat when he got cancer. I've never seem WWE push someone so hard at the expense of the entire roster. Say what you will about Cena, but Cena at least got over by himself as a baby face early in his career and that catapulted him up the card. He had some decent and memorable rivalries with guys like Edge, Orton, Jericho, Triple H, Batista and Punk who traded some victories with him. Reigns has no career defining rival, except maybe Brock, he's put no one over, and he has zero compelling memorable feuds (more on this later).

His current run started during empty arena pandemic shows and while I think him as champ from Summerslam 2020 to Wrestlemania 37 was actually pretty good it ran its course a long time ago. People point to "The Bloodline" as some sort of career defining story arc that Reigns orchestrated. To that I say "lol, okay." All Reigns has done during the Bloodline storyline is say "Acknowledge me" and sat in the back with a mean look on his face while Jey Uso, Paul Heyman and Sami Zayn propped that angle up and did all the work to get the crowd invested. It goes back to my point above about Reigns. The guy who is the face of your company isn't around, and isn't actually doing anything but is being propped up by smoke and mirrors with guys like Sami Zayn, Paul Heyman, and Jey Uso. You could replace Roman Reigns with a guy like Chad Gable and get similar results business wise because of the WWE brand and machine. Just book Gable as this former Olympian who is a beast because of his technical background.

All this to say, as a fan, it's hard for me to be truly invested I the product when WWE has spent ten years giving Dwayne's cousin the push of the millennium and kayfabe wise booked him as one of the best ever despite the fact his entire career is smoke and mirrors.

The rest of the product is okay. Triple H relies too much on long title reigns to drive things forward. Long title reigns have their place but when every reign is long or beyond a year it gets boring.

There are also too many vanilla midgets and charisma vacuums. Guys like Richochet, Finn Balor, Johnny Gargano, and Damian Priest (although he has improved) blow and just roll through mOvEZ for the sake of doing them. That style has its place but it's too prevalent nowadays.

I do think WWE has a solid main event picture behind Reigns. McIntyre, Rollins, Gunther, Randy Orton,Lashley, Rhodes, and Punk near the top with guys like LA Knight, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in that upper mid card spot with the ability to main event as needed.

Triple H is much better at booking cohesive stories that make sense and his shows flow better. But the sooner Roman Reigns loses and fucks off to Hollywood the better. Fuck that guy.

I don't follow AEW a ton. I like that their product has a grittier feel to it. But Tony Khan is a moron.

So I don't know. Wrestling is fine. I personally don't get the "boom" narrative, but hey whatever works.
I’m not a fan of Reigns either tbh. He’d be a good supporting act to a main champion in terms of chasing the belt along with a few others but he seems devoid of personality and I’ve never been impressed with what he does between the ropes. He’s not terrible but like you said I have no idea what he done to deserve the push of Hogan, Austin and Cena all combined into one. Maybe he has some shit on Vince no pun intended.

I used to fanboy for Heyman (and Brock) but the thing Heyman said about Bobby Heenan killed my admiration for him then the stuff about Brock (and Vince) came out…

For WWE in general and I know it’s a meme at this point but I cannot stand Michael Cole. He’s actually worse now than when he replaced JR in 2002 and he was already pretty bad then. Nowadays he sounds like a fucking pre programmed AI algorithm spouting pre planned lines. Truly awful. There’s something off puttingly ‘clean’ and sanitised about modern WWE. The crowd also seems piped in through the speakers at times because the pop doesn’t match the motionless, joyless peoples faces in the crowd lol. There’s some great wrestlers in it though especially AJ, Nakamura and Seth.

Tony Khan does seem like a nob in the few interviews I’ve seen of him. For AEW I tend to just watch Dynamite, Collision (which are about 85 mins each skipping the commercials and womans matches) and the PPV’s and not read anything online be it reviews or rumours. I seem to enjoy it far more because of that. It seems much more focused on wrestling also but then at times it feels like the matches don’t mean as much because of the lack of narrative behind them.

Overall the thought of sitting through a 3 hour live RAW actually makes me feel sick. I’m a mark though because I just bought the WWE Network to catch up on Royal Rumble and WrestleMania so…

Anyone including yourself anyone have a top 5 or 10 WWE matches I could catch up on while I have the Network? I haven’t watched a WWE PPV card outside of a few Mania’s since about 2008. Cheers.

Last edited:

WoJ

Anyone including yourself anyone have a top 5 or 10 WWE matches I could catch up on while I have the Network? I haven’t watched a WWE PPV card outside of a few Mania’s since about 2008. Cheers.

Off the top of my head....

• Punk vs. Cena - Money in the Bank 2011
  • HBK vs. Taker - both matches at Wrestlemania 25 and 26
  • Cena vs. Brock - Summerslam 2014 and their Extreme Rules 2012 match
  • Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels stuff in 2008 is great if you never watched it
  • Some people love Taker and Triple H at Wrestlemania 28. I've always thought it was fine, but nothing great
  • Wrestlemania 30 - but only Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan and then Daniel Bryan vs. Batista vs. Randy Orton.
  • The Shield and Evolution had a fun feud after WM 30 with a few good PPV matches that are worth checking out
  • Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover Brooklyn
  • 2020 Royal Rumble
  • I remember Samoa Joe and Brock had a pretty surprisingly great match in like 2018 or 2019 at a B-Level PPV
  • I'd say most Money in the Bank Ladder matches are worth checking out until the last maybe 4 or 5 years. They're still relatively good, but have become more over the top and predictable.

Also, you aren't wrong about Michael Cole. When newer fans call him the GOAT it makes my blood boil. JR and the King are the best of all time. And there's a number of others who are better than Cole. Hell, even Vince was better on play by play than Cole. Calling Cole an AI algorithm is about right. Pat McAfee was good during his first commentary run, but he has been God awful since he came back.

Off the top of my head....

• Punk vs. Cena - Money in the Bank 2011
  • HBK vs. Taker - both matches at Wrestlemania 25 and 26
  • Cena vs. Brock - Summerslam 2014 and their Extreme Rules 2012 match
  • Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels stuff in 2008 is great if you never watched it
  • Some people love Taker and Triple H at Wrestlemania 28. I've always thought it was fine, but nothing great
  • Wrestlemania 30 - but only Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan and then Daniel Bryan vs. Batista vs. Randy Orton.
  • The Shield and Evolution had a fun feud after WM 30 with a few good PPV matches that are worth checking out
  • Bayley vs. Sasha Banks - NXT Takeover Brooklyn
  • 2020 Royal Rumble
  • I remember Samoa Joe and Brock had a pretty surprisingly great match in like 2018 or 2019 at a B-Level PPV
  • I'd say most Money in the Bank Ladder matches are worth checking out until the last maybe 4 or 5 years. They're still relatively good, but have become more over the top and predictable.

Also, you aren't wrong about Michael Cole. When newer fans call him the GOAT it makes my blood boil. JR and the King are the best of all time. And there's a number of others who are better than Cole. Hell, even Vince was better on play by play than Cole. Calling Cole an AI algorithm is about right. Pat McAfee was good during his first commentary run, but he has been God awful since he came back.
Screenshotted the list of matches. I’ll check them out. Thanks a lot!

Michael Cole… GOAT… looooool. I’ve heard it all now rofl.

I’m not a fan of Reigns either tbh. He’d be a good supporting act to a main champion in terms of chasing the belt along with a few others but he seems devoid of personality and I’ve never been impressed with what he does between the ropes. He’s not terrible but like you said I have no idea what he done to deserve the push of Hogan, Austin and Cena all combined into one. Maybe he has some shit on Vince no pun intended.

I used to fanboy for Heyman (and Brock) but the thing Heyman said about Bobby Heenan killed my admiration for him then the stuff about Brock (and Vince) came out…

For WWE in general and I know it’s a meme at this point but I cannot stand Michael Cole. He’s actually worse now than when he replaced JR in 2002 and he was already pretty bad then. Nowadays he sounds like a fucking pre programmed AI algorithm spouting pre planned lines. Truly awful. There’s something off puttingly ‘clean’ and sanitised about modern WWE. The crowd also seems piped in through the speakers at times because the pop doesn’t match the motionless, joyless peoples faces in the crowd lol. There’s some great wrestlers in it though especially AJ, Nakamura and Seth.

Tony Khan does seem like a nob in the few interviews I’ve seen of him. For AEW I tend to just watch Dynamite, Collision (which are about 85 mins each skipping the commercials and womans matches) and the PPV’s and not read anything online be it reviews or rumours. I seem to enjoy it far more because of that. It seems much more focused on wrestling also but then at times it feels like the matches don’t mean as much because of the lack of narrative behind them.

Overall the thought of sitting through a 3 hour live RAW actually makes me feel sick. I’m a mark though because I just bought the WWE Network to catch up on Royal Rumble and WrestleMania so…

I really liked the women's eliminatiom chamber in Perth 2024. They were pulling off moves I haven't seen the men or anyone else do.

I never would have stopped if not for health stuff. I really liked AEW a few years ago and would still be watching if I was doing better. I'd watched every wwe ppv since the network launched up til that point too

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I started rewatching a few years ago, mostly for the women matches. On the face they're hot, but beyond that their matches are really high energy and fun.

T8SC

twerking-stacy-kiebler.gif

It had certain highlights back in the day ..

Last edited:

kunonabi

Nope. I watch occasional WWE clips but that's it. As long as the wwe stuff continues to be on peacock with all the older matches censored I'm just not that interested. AEW is trash and I stopped watching Japanese women's wrestling when they started letting me compete. I was watching NJPW since I like Okada but now he's out so eh.

I go off and on every few years.

I followed NJPW very closely for the past 7 years, but they haven't been doing a great job lately in a number of ways. They've especially been dropping the ball in building up their younger dojo talent, which they needed to prioritize considering Tony Khan is using the "Forbidden Door" partnership as a cover to poach all of their established talent. So I'm taking a break from them for a while.

Since January, I've really only been watching 80s/90s WWF on Peacock and keeping up with the Bloodline stuff in YouTube. I'll catch WrestleMania and see if it's enough to keep me interested.

I don't think you're alone in not being as invested in women's matches. It is what it is: you can't force people to watch something they're not interested in.

BUT! I watched Elimination Chamber: Perth from this year and with sincerity, the women's Elimination Chamber was my favorite match of the night. Naomi, Tiffany Stratton, Liv Morgan, Raquel Rodriguez, Bianca Belair, and Becky Lynch. They did so much to keep it varied, moving, and interesting. It was like a half-hour choreographed battle-dance. That was the first time I saw Tiffany and I thought she was some long-time well-established wrestler given she was in a big event like that, how polished she was, and the moves she was pulling off. Nope! She debuted in 2021 but only officially signed on the main roster at Smackdown this year. She made a fan of me.

The men's Elimination Chamber probably meant more to the fans that had been following all the guys' storylines, but to me, it was more drama-focused and less entertaining spectacle. Lots of downtime and selling the pain.
I shall give that woman’s EC match a go too. Sorry forgot to add it and tag you on my last post!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I grew up watching wrestling and going to events back when Bruno, Andre, and Ivan Putski were the big thing. I stopped watching after the Attitude era, but still kept reading about it. I enjoy Podcasts now from Dutch Mantel and Jim Cornette.

I think the entire pivot with the Rock and the whole Cody Rhodes thing and Roman Reigns actually has me watching Wrestlemania. Hell, it’s in my hometown this year and I know a few people that went/are going on night two.

The presentation is just wild.

And fuck…Rhea Ripley’s kinda hot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I watched wrestling during Hulk Hogan days. Somewhere in that 1985-1990 kind of era. I wasnt even a Hogan fan, but we'd all watch and love it when he did the predictable come back and leg drop. Loved Corporal Kirchner too, along with Killer Bees, British Bulldogs, and back then Leaping Lanny would so these crazy flips. At that time Andre The Giant was barely around and when he'd fight he could barely move and it looked stupid. All he could do were slow chops and bearhugs. So I missed his era when he could move around which was probably the 70s.

I loved the match Mr Wonderful drilled Hogan with a piledriver. lol

I remember a match with Honky Tonk Man. It might had been his first WWF match. He jumped off the turnbuckle in a final finish move (a flying hammer punch to the face of a guy lying on the ground), missed, hit his fist on the canvas and winced in pain, and then pinned the guy. He missed his punch. lol.

Great memories. For me, WWF was on Saturday and/or Sunday at noon or 1 pm in the afternoon on Fox29. Then they'd do these Saturday Night Main Events every once in a while right before SNL I think.

And Elizabeth was fucking a hot mama! Her, Markie Post on Night Court and Kelly Bundy were my fav hotties.

Hahaha. I searched it, and here's the Honky Tonk match he missed the punch.

Last edited:

dem

I loved it growing up…

I keep trying to give it a chance.. but it just seems to be lacking in characters and story.

Back in the day there were so many personalities that just had the crowd eating out of their hands. It was impressive.

Maybe that’s just because I’m old… but I’ve watched quite a bit of wrestlemania tonight.. and it’s been a snooze imo.

Last edited:
The Rock dropping an uncensored F-bomb was nice to hear. The Rock was selling like a pro, too. That's probably the face I'd make if I saw my teammate about to spear me.

I figured that was about how the Rock/Roman/Seth/Cody fight was going to go, but still got me bummed. Here's hoping Cody takes the W tonight

Edmund

Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania 19 is one of the GOATS.

And I think I had my first boner when I was a 10 year old kid when I saw Torrie Wilson. What a gorgeous lady she is.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Hahaha. I searched it, and here's the Honky Tonk match he missed the punch.

Back in the NWA days when the Road Warriors started wearing the spiked shoulder pads, there was a TV match against a couple jobbers. Upon coming to the ring Animal tries to leap over the top rope, except his foot doesn’t clear the rope and he falls into the ring. You can see him try and play it off as he immediately tries to jump up to his feet, and grab one of the jobbers, but his spikes tangle him up as he’s trying to stand so now he’s trying to untangle himself.

The entire thing happens in a span of seconds, but it had to be embarrassing as hell. If you listen closely you can hear the people in the front rows cracking up.

I’ve tried searching YouTube to see if there’s footage of it, but no luck.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I used to watch wrestling as a child. I would go this place called the Coliseum and watch old school wrestlers Junkyard Dog, King Kong Bundy, Hacksaw Duggan and Kamala the Ugandan Giant.

nush

Early 90's I was into it for a while, went to a Summerslam and some other event. Had my fill of it and moved onto other things.

Haven't watched wrestling in 20+ years in any real capacity. I would put it on the bar TV when I bartended because it was something you could have muted and watch and be entertained. The physicality of the "sport" is super impressive and it's interesting to see them show some impressive feats of strength or agility.

There's actually a WWE wrestler that goes to my gym and it's fun to hear her and her husband talk about some of the things they got to see and do.

MachRc

the rock spoiled the whole event on saturday's press conference by saying the people were going to get what they wanted..plus the surprises... I bet creative were cringing in the back

ManaByte

the rock spoiled the whole event on saturday's press conference by saying the people were going to get what they wanted..plus the surprises... I bet creative were cringing in the back

I think most people expected the outcome:
1. The tag team on Saturday stacked the odds against Cody to make his win on Sunday even bigger, while giving The Rock and Roman a main event win as was stipulated by his $30 million deal with the TKO board.
2. Roman is still on chemo and already mostly part time.
3. Dustin was at Wrestlemania in a suite.
4. Vince is gone.

AJUMP23

It’s fake, it’s choreographed. Why would you ever watch it? Just watch real sport instead.

Can you do a flying flip as off a ring rope and position yourself in a way to where you take the brunt of the fall and protect your fellow performer?

It is Drama and athletics. Soap opera with athletic skill.

Top Bottom