• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most insane detail you have seen in a game

nkarafo

Post the best thing that took time and effort for the developer to make, despite knowing that most people will probably never notice.

Here's an example:

In Metroid Prime, the different weapons are presented on the visor by different hand gesture icons. Apparently, Samus changes the weapons of her hand canon using different hand gestures.

Well, she does indeed. If you use the X-Ray visor and aim at a dark spot, not only you can see her hand inside the cannon, you can even see her move her fingers and doing different gestures as you change weapons.

image376.jpg

Good luck beating the above example.

You can fix a pipe leaking water in Luigi's Mansion by using the ice medal. It's a random pipe in a random room that no one cares about, but it's a nice detail I've found out.

Ganrob

Neo Member
in HL2 there was a can on the ground, and valve added physics + ability to pick stuff up so you can keep the streets clean. amazing attention to detail

eizarus

Banned
The one I really love is that Kojima hand designed every single desk in MGS individually rather than use a bunch of templates to complete the immersion.

In fact, this is an MGS thread. There are way too many things in the MGS games to list here.

mcz117chief

The one I really love is that Kojima hand designed every single desk in MGS individually rather than use a bunch of templates to complete the immersion.

In fact, this is an MGS thread. There are way too many things in the MGS games to list here.

Couldn't Snake catch cold in MGS?

@OP, Geralt's beard growing back after you shaved it clean.

A bunch of games have that, for example Deadly Premonition

Xion86

Ahh Metal Gear Solid 2 comes to mind so much, the ice which was mentioned before, the way glass broke when shot too (especially glasses behind the bar area).

I absolutely love attention to detail in games though, even just the little things.

creatchee

When I played Skyrim, I was on some quest and had to go talk to somebody in their home. On the way out, I was grabbing some items and accidentally STOLE a cup or something. Later on, I finished clearing a cave, weak as hell, overloaded with loot, and when I entered the overworld, three dudes accosted me and tried to kill me. I got the best of them and searched their bodies. There was a note from the lady whose cup I accidentally stole that basically put a hit out on me for taking her property. That wasn't nice.

So I went back to her town. I found any and everybody who had the same last name as her and I murdered them in the coldest of bloods. I collected each body and left them near her front door. Then I waited for her to find them. Unfortunately, she never noticed them, because she never left her house for whatever reason. So I snuck into her house late at night, murdered her husband or brother and threw him into the burning hearth. When she woke up, she looked at the hearth but didn't really react. I don't know if the AI glitched or she lost her mind, but after she saw it I just walked out confident in knowing that she knew that I ended her bloodline.

I liked Skyrim.

protonion

In MGS2 when going to the flooded cell, you can call Campbell for info on Emma.

Later after going underwater and getting out for some oxygen you get a forced call from Otacon.
He repeats some of the stuff the colonel told you. If you had made that first optional codec call, Raiden says "that's what the colonel told me" (or something like that).
I believe I'm the only person that got that. And I can't believe Kojima added one line of dialogue just for this.

bjork

When you poop in Dog's Life, the poop has physics and will roll down hills.

10-ish years before MGS5 did anything with poops

Melting candles in Shenmue

Modelled finger and eyelashes nails on PDZ

Quantum Break npcs with modelled eye lashes too, and even the smallest metal details on npc armor reflecting the environment.

DemWalls

Post the best thing that took time and effort for the developer to make, despite knowing that most people will probably never notice.

Here's an example:

In Metroid Prime, the different weapons are presented on the visor by different hand gesture icons. Apparently, Samus changes the weapons of her hand canon using different hand gestures.

Well, she does indeed. If you use the X-Ray visor and aim at a dark spot, not only you can see her hand inside the cannon, you can even see her move her fingers and doing different gestures as you change weapons.

Good luck beating the above example.

The same happens in TW3, when Geralt uses Signs. I'm sure many people don't never paid attention to it.

Regiruler

In Splatoon, the Great Zapfish is swimming in the lake at pirhana pit when there is only 45 seconds left in the match. Nobody will ever notice this because you have no reason to look in that direction.

Ignis's glasses having prescription comes to mind recently.
oZqYEwB.jpg

This is actually a well known issue with post processing and transparent alphas, it makes his lens look focused but really the blur is just not rendering where the glasses are overlapping, which you can see through because alpha transparency.

In this case it's a very good illusion and doesn't look wrong, which is nice, some examples of where it can be annoying is stuff like racing games with transparent windows.

Cepheus

Probably being able to pick up and launch anything with the Gravity Gun in Half-Life 2. If it's not part of the scenery you can interact with it.

CHC

Melting ice cubes in Metal Gear Solid 2

This is a pretty good choice just because of how completely uninvolved with the gameplay it is. Stuff like Geralt's beard growing in Witcher III, or the Metroid visor effects.... everyone who plays is going to see that, and most players will in some way take notice.

But like.... ice cubes. I would venture to say that less than 1% of players even shot that bucket of ice and probably even less stood around after to watch the ice melt. It's just so totally pointless, but that's what makes the game so special.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
ElyvpY.gif

I mean it's not out yet, but all the physics stuff in the new zelda, including lightning being attracted by metal and stuff..

alba

Little is the new Big
What am I looking at here? You posted a picture of a building close up and far away. I can think of several games that have buildings both close up and far away.

Gran Turismo, if you want to talk about insane details, it's basically full of them.

Top Bottom