• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo series sells 46 million worldwide

ioi

Banned
2005/03/10 GRAN TURISMO 4 (Korea) 60
2005/03/09 GRAN TURISMO 4 (Europe) 4,400
2005/02/22 GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America) 2,410
2004/12/28 GRAN TURISMO 4 (SE Asia) 60
2004/12/28 GRAN TURISMO 4 (Japan) 1,130
2004/05/26 GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Europe) 410
2004/01/15 GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Korea) 50
2003/12/04 GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (SE Asia) 110
2003/12/04 GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Japan) 790
2002/07/25 GRAN TURISMO Concept 2002 TOKYO-GENEVA (SE Asia) 30
2002/07/17 GRAN TURISMO Concept 2002 TOKYO-GENEVA (Europe) 1,000
2002/05/16 GRAN TURISMO Concept 2002 TOKYO-SEOUL (Korea) 90
2002/01/01 GRAN TURISMO Concept 2001 TOKYO (SE Asia) 10
2002/01/01 GRAN TURISMO Concept 2001 TOKYO (Japan) 430
2001/12/13 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (SE Asia) 10
2001/07/20 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (Europe) 5,830
2001/07/10 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (North America) 7,110
2001/04/28 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (Japan) 1,890
2000/01/28 GRAN TURISMO 2 (Europe) 3,680
1999/12/23 GRAN TURISMO 2 (North America) 3,960
1999/12/11 GRAN TURISMO 2 (SE Asia) 20
1999/12/11 GRAN TURISMO 2 (Japan) 1,710
1998/05/12 GRAN TURISMO (North America) 3,990
1998/05/08 GRAN TURISMO (Europe) 4,300
1997/12/23 GRAN TURISMO (SE Asia) 10
1997/12/23 GRAN TURISMO (Japan) 2,550

*as of September 2006

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php

Branduil

I never saw the appeal, but I'm not really a racing fan.

Certainly one of Sony's safest bets as far as moneymakers go.

Grayman

i loves me some gran turismo. shouldn't tourist trophy be on the list? i've never been able to find data on it though.

ioi

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
damn

wonder how that compares to gta, sims, madden etc

Well you can get a rough idea on VG Charts although it doesn't contain games that have sold less than 1m so although all GT games are covered, not all Madden / Sims versions etc will be.

All are around 50m as a rough estimation

Zaptruder

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
GT is the Madden of Racing.

If only GT was the madden of racing, then at least us faithfuls would see something every year.

10 years, 4 iterations to date...

Here's hoping they fix the stuff broken about the series with the 5th one (online, damage, ferrari, AI and more cars on track, etc, etc).

J-Rzez

Great numbers for a great series that was a godsend to car lovers... And wow, you Euro's have awesome taste! :)

Can't wait to see what GT5 has in store for us...

Zaptruder said:
If only GT was the madden of racing, then at least us faithfuls would see something every year
i certainly wouldnt want GT franchise to become as cheap and baneful as the madden series has become......still would like online play in GT5 or HD or whatever they end up calling it

Grayman

frAntic_Frog said:
i certainly wouldnt want GT franchise to become as cheap and baneful as the madden series has become......still would like online play in GT5 or HD or whatever they end up calling it
GT5, GT HD has been downgraded to playstation store only and had the online GT4 microtransaction based mode removed. GT HD is like GT2000 and prologue. although 2000 was never available while prologue was in some territories. GTHD the demo will be on japanese playstation store in a week or so as a free demo with 2 tracks and 10 cars(quoting this from memory).

Zaptruder

Banned
Grayman said:
GT5, GT HD has been downgraded to playstation store only and had the online GT4 microtransaction based mode removed. GT HD is like GT2000 and prologue. although 2000 was never available while prologue was in some territories. GTHD the demo will be on japanese playstation store in a week or so as a free demo with 2 tracks and 10 cars(quoting this from memory).

GT5 is still on track as a standard game.

GTHD previously scheduled for Q2 2007 is now scrapped as a proper release and instead released on the PSN as a tech/progress demo of sorts.

Not sure if they're retaining the microtransaction nature of GTHD, but my guess is they're pulling what resources they put into GTHD (most of it would've been done as a matter of course for GT5 anyway, but the work that would've been needed for GTHD would've been polish, front end and that sort of jazz).

The primary benefit of GTHD in my view as a GT fan is that it gives them feedback on progress made thus far... at the very least, I was hoping they'll do an online demo so they can recieve sufficient testing/feedback on what they've done thus far.

Grayman

for microtransactions i think they'll still end up doing the "premium mode" booster pack later on with 10 more cars and 2 more tracks from GT5 along with some newer physics.

The online mode for GT4 with 700 cars for .50-.99 each and 50 tracks for 2.50-4 won't show up.

congrats GT. moving along nicely in the charts... just overtake sonic i think...

interesting to note, NA sales going down, but in europe is THE franchise to beat.

omg at almost 15 million GT3. besides getting a bit late in the lifespan of the PS2, GT4 might still end up selling 10 million or close

Zaptruder said:
Here's hoping they fix the stuff broken about the series with the 5th one (online, damage, ferrari, AI and more cars on track, etc, etc).
And the points system to unlock tracks and stop people using overpowered cars to win stuff in GT4 was irrelevant. I think GT2 Arcade and Forza had it right by grading your car's horsepower or power-to-weight ratio from C to S (I don't remember how Forza did it) and limiting you to those specific ranked races.

Kuroyume

Banned
I bought GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec at a Sony Store as soon as it went to the GH line. I've only played it a total of maybe 10-15 times, for 5 minutes tops each time.

It sucks.

I'd rather read a book or go to church. That's how much I hate it. It's easily the most boring game in the history of games. I don't get the appeal of this series, or sim racers in general (I guess).

Btw, I'm not a car enthusiast, so maybe that's a problem.

Amazing sales though...

Kuroyume said:
I bought GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec at a Sony Store as soon as it went to the GH line. I've only played it a total of maybe 10-15 times, for 5 minutes tops each time.

It sucks.

I'd rather read a book or go to church. That's how much I hate it. It's easily the most boring game in the history of games. I don't get the appeal of this series, or sim racers in general (I guess).

Amazing sales though...

Well I can see where people would love the game.

Not for me however

Ive loves me some burnout tho

Kuroyume said:

It sucks.

Amazing sales though...
Thanks!

I love that series. Many people downplay it as far as killer app status goes, but it's actually one of the biggest franchises, much bigger than HALO actually.

Pimpwerx

GT has been the most popular series not called GTA. That's globally, and even GT3 gave Vice City a run for its money. GT's strength is universal appeal. It will always have a fanbase, b/c there are millions of us gearheads out there.

Interesting suggestion on the classification system, but I think it's also unnecessary. I'm from the mindset that you give people options. The way it is now, you have special races that can only feature specific drivetrains, or makes and models, so you create parity that way. In GT3, at least, the game then tried to match you up with other cars close in horsepower. It always gave you the benefit of the doubt though. So I'd always try taking an underpowered car into certain events, to up the challenge. If they made it tougher than it is, it might turn some people off. There are already a large number of people that don't take the license tests seriously, and that (IMO) is the purest form of this game. Nothing but a time attack over a certain section of track. Pure, technical driving is the key, but a lot of people just blow through the tests to get it done, which leads me to believe that a lot of people don't really want the challenge. I know I'd only use overpowered cars when I just wanted to complete a lot of races. It's nice having the option of pulling out the ringer when you need quick cash, or a quick prize car. PEACE.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
evogc0sl.jpg

worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

ioi

Banned
The thing with GT compared to most game series is that it has sold consistently well through all incarnations (obviously Concept and Prologue excluded).

Europe definitely seems to love the game though, with GT4 selling more than the original two PS games (although less than Nintendogs !!)

Exypher

Nice bump.

Anyway, for some reason I always thought Gran Turismo 1 was way more fun than Gran Turismo 2. Anyone agree? I kinda lost interest in the series after GT2, used to love it though.

Wollan

GT2 had the same effect that GT4 had on me. 'More of the same'. (Though there was really a lot of additions) GT5 will be the next 'big' one for me.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
GT has been the most popular series not called GTA or Pokemon. That's globally
Fixed. And with GT4's plummet, we can now add NFS, Final Fantasy, Halo, The Sims, Half-Life, Animal Crossing, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and quite a few other titles to the list. It was nice while it lasted though. ;)

DEO3

After playing God knows how many hows of GT1 and GT2, I ended up buying my PS2 solely to play GT3. At the time I was one of the biggest GT fans out there. But after 10 years now of playing the same God damned game, I'm tired of it. Seriously, after 10 years where's the car damage? Where's the online? I've never played Forza, or owned an Xbox for that matter, but if Forza can do both of these things right out of the gate, why can't Gran Turismo? It's one of Sony's largest franchises for God's sake.

Animal

Banned
I used to think the same thing about GT4...that its nothing but last night's leftovers reheated.

Then i played it with the Logitech DFP wheel...completely different game. I was doing laps and laps and laps because it felt good to control the cars with a very realistic wheel.

It was a great feeling to get used to the wheel and actually feel how much faster you went into the corner this time relative to the last. I got the same feeling playing with the DFP as the one I get when I go karting with my buddies.

I just don't have the money to blow 200$ on a racing wheel for a ps2 game. if it was 100$, then I'd think about it.

Only with the DFP does this game really shine.

Haunted

ZombieSupaStar said:
damn

wonder how that compares to gta, sims, madden etc

Wikipedia said:
* Mario (193 million)
* Pokémon (155 million)
* Final Fantasy (68 million)
* The Sims (54 million)
* Madden NFL (51 million)
* Grand Theft Auto (50 million)

* Donkey Kong (48 million)
* The Legend of Zelda (47 million)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (44 million)
* Gran Turismo (44 million) - 46 million as ioi says?
* Lineage (43 million)
* Dragon Quest (41 million)
* Crash Bandicoot (34 million)
* James Bond (30 million)
* Tomb Raider (30 million)
* Resident Evil (31 million)
* Mega Man (26 million)
* Street Fighter (25 million)
* Command & Conquer (21 million)
* Mortal Kombat (20 million)
* Warcraft (19 million)
* Metal Gear (18.2 million)
* Rayman (17 Million)
* Spyro the Dragon (17 million)
* Winning Eleven (17 million)
* Diablo (17 million)
* Age of Empires (16 million)
* Half-Life (16 million)
* Halo series (14.7 million)

no idea how accurate/verifiable those are though...

Yoboman

GT4 was dissapointing. Unfortunately Forza was able to capitalise on the fact that PD weren't ready to truly advance the series until GT5. GT5 though, will be something to behold. PD will make you believers again

ram

Yoboman said:
GT4 was dissapointing. Unfortunately Forza was able to capitalise on the fact that PD weren't ready to truly advance the series until GT5.

lets compare sales numbers, should we? then we can see, which game could capitalise anything. :lol

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
GT4 was dissapointing. Unfortunately Forza was able to capitalise on the fact that PD weren't ready to truly advance the series until GT5. GT5 though, will be something to behold. PD will make you believers again
GT's major decline was America, where it sold significantly less than half what GT3 managed. Europe was steady and Japan only saw a minor decline (though it's never been too strong a market for GT anyway). I do think Forza did some damage here, but mostly with the hardcore sect... casuals were just getting tired of the formula.

Yoboman

jarrod said:
GT's major decline was America, where it sold significantly less than half what GT3 managed. Europe was steady and Japan only saw a minor decline (though it's never been too strong a market for GT anyway). I do think Forza did some damage here, but mostly with the hardcore sect... casuals were just getting tired of the formula.
I didn't mean in sales. GT4's were better than expected. GT3 road a lot of hype.

jarrod said:

You forget the 790k of GT4 Prologue sold in Japan prior to GT4's release. And 400+ in Europe.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
OH, how I love Gran Turismo! I bought just about all of them that was available to me. The demo that they sent out to people is what got me started on PSone

Top Bottom