• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo series sells 46 million worldwide

Elios83

Can't wait for GT5.
The upcoming demo will be a nice Christmas gift by the way,I hope it's improved code over the TGS demo.

jarrod

Banned
Guns N' Poops said:
You forget the 790k of GT4 Prologue sold in Japan prior to GT4's release. And 400+ in Europe.
Erm, if anything I'd think the majority of those buyers were repeated in GT4's sales. Still doesn't change my point really though, as 0 Prologues sold in America and GT4 still sold a fraction what GT3 managed.

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
I didn't mean in sales. GT4's were better than expected. GT3 road a lot of hype.
Heh, nice pun in that last sentince. :lol

Yeah, GT3 had "next gen" shininess all over plus a nice bundle deal while PS2 demand was still exceeding supply... both definitely factors not going in GT4's favor. But frankly, I doubt GT4's sales exceeded anyone's expectations... it sold half what GT3 did. That sort of dropoff is never expected, and never good. I think something along the lines of GT2's drop from GT1 (GT2 facing similar obstacles) was more what everyone was anticipating... I think sales fully reflected GT4's critical reception, at least in America.

SUPREME1

Banned
Forza > Grand Tourismo

What do I care how many units it sells? It's not like we are all part of a profit sharing agreement or anything..

Give me the superior game and I'm good.

:D

Yoboman

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Heh, nice pun in that last sentince. :lol

Yeah, GT3 had "next gen" shininess all over plus a nice bundle deal while PS2 demand was still exceeding supply... both definitely factors not going in GT4's favor. But frankly, I doubt GT4's sales exceeded anyone's expectations... it sold half what GT3 did. That sort of dropoff is never expected, and never good. I think something along the lines of GT2's drop from GT1 (GT2 facing similar obstacles) was more what everyone was anticipating... I think sales fully reflected GT4's critical reception, at least in America.
It still came out the fifth best selling game of the generation though. I remember people here saying it wouldn't even match Halo 2. Clearly people under-estimate the series market success. Anyway, I hope for PS3's sake they can replicate GT3's success. They'd better get that hype train rolling though because even GT2000 had more hype at this point

Zaptruder

Banned
ImperialConquest said:
Forza > Grand Tourismo

What do I care how many units it sells? It's not like we are all part of a profit sharing agreement or anything..

The superior game is GT4 + DFP. Fair enough, it'll cost you 150-200 more than Forza, but the difference is worth much more than that.

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
It still came out the fifth best selling game of the generation though. I remember people here saying it wouldn't even match Halo 2. Clearly people under-estimate the series market success. Anyway, I hope for PS3's sake they can replicate GT3's success. They'd better get that hype train rolling though because even GT2000 had more hype at this point
Er... it didn't match Halo 2, it sold a good 2 million less. It's also not the 5th best selling game this gen, it's not even the 5th best selling PS2 game even actually.

GT4 did horribly in America, I don't think anyone was underestimating anything really. Europe's fine, Japan's sort of a non-issue but there's a serious problem for Gran Tuirismo in America.... PD needs to shake things up.

Yoboman

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Er... it didn't match Halo 2, it sold a good 2 million less. It's also not the 5th best selling game this gen, it's not even the 5th best selling PS2 game even actually.

GT4 did horribly in America, I don't think anyone was underestimating anything really. Europe's fine, Japan's sort of a non-issue but there's a serious problem for Gran Tuirismo in America.... PD needs to shake things up.
According to ioi's site it sold a good 1 million more. 2 and a half million is NOT "horrible" what are you smoking?

http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I'm not sure how anyone into this kind of game could call GT4 "more of the same." The vehicle and track lineups were upgraded significantly. There are numerous cars and courses (the Nurb, anyone?) that simply make the game. Then there's the noticeably improved physics and force feedback wheel support... I'm not getting the complaints.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
jarrod said:

Here's what hamstrung GT4...

1998/05/12 GRAN TURISMO (North America) 3,990
1999/12/23 GRAN TURISMO 2 (North America) 3,960
2001/07/10 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (North America) 7,110
2005/02/22 GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America) 2,410

The hiatus was waaaaaay too long for the more casual North American market.

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
According to ioi's site it sold a good 1 million more. 2 and a half million is NOT "horrible" what are you smoking?

http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php
Sorry, I was going off GT4's initial shipment figures (6.5m)... seems to have moved another million or so in the interim. His H2 figures are low though, it was past 8m over a year ago iirc...

And taken on it's own 2.5m is a great sales figure... but when your predecessor moving 7m+ is taken into account, that's an insane drop and definitely not a positive sign. It's actually almost proportional to the drop from SNES to N64, but still a little worse. :p

jarrod

Banned
mashoutposse said:

That was probably a factor too. Combine it with dropped promised features (online) and Forza causing a critical storm and you've got a recipe for disaster.

As an aside though, isn't 7m an awfully high figure for GT3? I thought I remembered NPD having it only around 5m or so?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
ELS-01X said:
Most boring franchise ever. Ew...

After 46 million units in sales, I think it's pretty well established that many disagree completely with you and that the series will live even without your involvement...

Animal

Banned
Everytime i get close to convincing myself to get a DFP, I tell myself that I have the real thing downstairs in the garage and the price of the wheel is several tanks of gaz.

mashoutposse: I still havn't forgotten your pics lol..im just so damn busy it keeps slipping my mind...i'll try to take some tonight when we drop her off for her boomerang install.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
LOL, thought you left me hanging with that one :D

And forget it bro, just get it over with and buy that DFP -- it adds soooooo much to the experience (not to mention that it's not GT4-exclusive, so you'll get lots of use out of it).

bud

ImperialConquest said:
Forza > Grand Tourismo

loltruckjesus.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jarrod said:
His H2 figures are low though, it was past 8m over a year ago iirc...

Actually, MS released a press statement that said they shipped like 7.4 million copies.

Flo_Evans

mashoutposse said:
I'm not sure how anyone into this kind of game could call GT4 "more of the same." The vehicle and track lineups were upgraded significantly. There are numerous cars and courses (the Nurb, anyone?) that simply make the game. Then there's the noticeably improved physics and force feedback wheel support... I'm not getting the complaints.

Most of the complaints are from people that hate sim racers (or drivers in this case) and are not car enthusists. Its ok if they hate it, its not for them.

oh and zaptruder there already was a GT4 online beta test in japan. I couldn't get in, so I have no idea how it went.

Grayman

Animal i'd wait on the DFP at this point in time. Logitech made the g25(or something like this) that is higher quality, has a clutch pedal, and h-shift. I'd wait to see if that BCs to a DFP for gt4, and you'd have to GT5 wheel for when it's out.

Flo_Evans said:
Most of the complaints are from people that hate sim racers (or drivers in this case) and are not car enthusists. Its ok if they hate it, its not for them.

oh and zaptruder there already was a GT4 online beta test in japan. I couldn't get in, so I have no idea how it went.
yeah, GT for what it does is very good.

mashoutposse said:

polyphony(and my parents) gave me the best birthday present ever. launch day with a DFP. The playstation was also starting to decline around then, a lot of people knew that just a few big games were left and next gen was coming.

ELS-01X

Banned
mashoutposse said:
After 46 million units in sales, I think it's pretty well established that many disagree completely with you and that the series will live even without your involvement...
Sadly...

I can't help but to believe these numbers are shipments.

The last NPD for US had GT3 at 3.8 million.... you mean to tell me that 3.3 million people in Canada bought it? Or tha tmany millions was from Walmart?

And it's REALLY a stretch to convince me that the games sold 5 million in Europe. I remember they tried to trick us EARRLY in it's Europe release when they said it sold 3 million in about a few weeks when it was really shipments.

Either way, good sales.

SUPREME1

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Fixed. :lol

Forza + Physics Engine + Damage + Online Play + Custom Soundtracks + Advanced A.I. >>> Greater Than >>> Grand Turismo 4's Pretty Bumper Car Game

NOW it's fixed.

:lol

Yo Gotti

Banned
ImperialConquest said:
Forza + Physics Engine + Damage + Online Play + Custom Soundtracks + Advanced A.I. >>> Greater Than >>> Grand Turismo 4's Pretty Bumper Car Game

NOW it's fixed.

RUN!!!

bud

ImperialConquest said:

NOW it's fixed.

You don't seem to understand that it's Gran Turismo and not Grand Tourismo

ioi

Banned
Halo figure is spot on

I do agree that without a massive success in Europe that the series is definitely on the decline... as are most of the big PS franchises.

RaijinFY

jarrod said:
That was probably a factor too. Combine it with dropped promised features (online) and Forza causing a critical storm and you've got a recipe for disaster.

As an aside though, isn't 7m an awfully high figure for GT3? I thought I remembered NPD having it only around 5m or so?

7m is most likely with bundles. It was ~4m on NPD.

After reading this thread, I'm kind of bummed that GT is pretty much the only truly huge franchise Sony have right now.

I honestly think it was pretty dumb of them to sell the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro rights to Universal. They could have been much bigger than they were on PS1.

ImperialConquest said:

NOW it's fixed.

Ehm the physics in GT4 certainly aren't flawless but Forza has some issues that kills the game instantly for many. Physics in Forza are anything but good. Especially the stupid tire physics that let you drift even an LMP car in corners.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mr. Pointy said:
After reading this thread, I'm kind of bummed that GT is pretty much the only truly huge franchise Sony have right now.

I honestly think it was pretty dumb of them to sell the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro rights to Universal. They could have been much bigger than they were on PS1.

Yeah GOW, R&C, MLB, Jak & Daxter, etc. are dead right? Sony has plenty of franchises. What are you talking about?

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah GOW, R&C, MLB, Jak & Daxter, etc. are dead right? Sony has plenty of franchises. What are you talking about?
None of Sony's PS2-era franchises exploded in popularity like Crash and GT did on the PS1.

The Crash Bandicoot franchise was the biggest thing Sony had back in the PS1 days. The combined sales of CB1, 2, 3, Kart and Bash are something near 30 million. The main games each sold ~7 million worldwide.

The multiplatform Universal games haven't sold near as much. The Wrath of Cortex on PS2 was pretty big, but it and subsequent games never Crash was synonymous with Sony back in the PS1 era and making the franchise multiplatform diluted its appeal.

Sony should have fought to keep the franchise for themselves. Even if Naughty Dog weren't going to make anymore PS2 Crash games, the PS2 fanbase would have continued to buy them in much larger numbers than they are now.

I've changed my mind about Spyro.

Haunted_One said:
no idea how accurate/verifiable those are though...

They can't be too accurate. EA's FIFA moves really big numbers around Europe and is nowhere to be seen in that list. And we're talking about how many, 13 yearly incarnations plus special editions for almost all the formats available? And Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer is way too low.

Haunted

Krant Dourizmo!
lololol

Seriously, how did this thread devolve into yet another Microsoft vs So... I mean, Forza vs GT debate? GAF truly boggles the mind.

Top Bottom