• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Up to 8 account per Switch system; Region set by Account setting at creation.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I was reading this and found this little piece of info.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

Which means it COULD be possible to have an account go on say, the US eShop for NA games and one account set to Japan to access the Japanese eShop, similar to what can be done on PS4.

Toki767

That's good to see. Hopefully there aren't any catches. Like digital games bought with certain accounts are only playable on that account.

If that's how it sounds, that's great! Just wondering what hoops you'll have to jump through to sign up for a Japanese account. Hopefully it won't be more than just faking a Japanese address or something.

That's good to see. Hopefully there aren't any catches. Like digital games bought with certain accounts are only playable on that account.

Even if that *is* the case, it's a minor inconvenience to be able to purchase out of region games digitally.

Honestly if they roll back (or just clarify that we misunderstood) the incredibly stupid phone chat thing, then this will be great.

wildfire

Banned
Cool. There still aren't enough games that interest me through the next 6 months but making it easy to purchase games from other regions is helpful.

Please let this mean that they're doing what the PS4 does. Please, please don't lock the games from a given region to accounts from that region, let all accounts on the system use it. That is exactly what I was hoping for ;__;
ShockingAlberto suggested that it locks you to the country of the first account but he wasn't sure.
pls no

TreIII

I just hope I can still my American credit card to buy stuff on the Japanese eshop. One of the best things about having a JP Wii U and 3DS.

rtrbad

Banned

Looks like, from the UI leaks, that the user account can be changed on the fly in the home menu, so even that might not be that much of a problem?

vareon

My brother's going to Japan by end of March and I wonder should I buy there, since prices in our country is kind of crazy. I think I just have to wait and see how this works after launch. No guarantees in Nintendo's baby steps in region free.

komorebi

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Which means it COULD be possible to have an account go on say, the US eShop for NA games and one account set to Japan to access the Japanese eShop, similar to what can be done on PS4.

Holy shit does this mean I might be able to have access to hypothetical Japanese themes and not the two pieces of crap NoA puts up for sale? If so, yessss....

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I've been stuck with an Irish account since getting my 3DS, I hope this will finally let me escape that (I live in London).

coughlanio

My brother's going to Japan by end of March and I wonder should I buy there, since prices in our country is kind of crazy. I think I just have to wait and see how this works after launch. No guarantees in Nintendo's baby steps in region free.

Its very possibly the JP console might only support the Japanese language. Unlikely, but possible.

"We have nothing to announce at this time" encompasses, like, half of the interview. And most of the questions asked were pretty reasonable.

Well, hopefully you have something to announce before launch. I'm kind of expecting the worst when it comes to things like Virtual Console.

LordKano

I don't care that much about the region set but I'm glad I will be able to create multiple accounts just like the Wii U. It helps with my brothers as we like that everyone has its own account with its own game saves.

Megaton if it works that way with Pokémon too !

If that's how it sounds, that's great! Just wondering what hoops you'll have to jump through to sign up for a Japanese account. Hopefully it won't be more than just faking a Japanese address or something.

it's easy. I don't remember putting a Japanese address when I made one few years ago lol

Um...didn't the Wii U support up to 12 accounts?

Anyway, how do we know that they won't limit eShop access to regions like they currently do? Example, my American Wii U can be set to any country in North/South America, but you can't set the console region to a European or Asian country.

Theres a LOT of info in there.

Games won't save on the game card anymore (we win this time, Pokémon!), they're looking to add video recording to the share button in a future update, and there is a Mii creator but it's hidden in settings or profile.

You can change country/region from inside the Nintendo account settings itself*. I wonder how that comes into play here. Ideally it would mean you only need one account so more like Microsoft than Sony.

*-https://accounts.nintendo.com/profile/edit

Edit: I just noticed I might not be able to change which NNID I linked to My Nintendo Account...I linked the one I didn't make any purchases on...then again Nintendo have nothing to announce about those :p

Seik

Banned
A good news, That's refreshing!

Best news on the Switch so far, Nintendo were the last one lagging behind with that.

Oregano

That would be incredibly stupid. I doubt it.

this is great, means everyone can have multiple accounts and then take advantage of whichever sales they like!

Damn I hope not.

Damn I hope so.

Please let this mean that they're doing what the PS4 does. Please, please don't lock the games from a given region to accounts from that region, let all accounts on the system use it. That is exactly what I was hoping for ;__;

pls no

Just got to be careful not to take this as confirmation.

NoKisum

So theoretically, I can create a second account on the system for the JPN store in case I want to download any JPN exclusives?

I really hope this is the case. There's no reason whatsoever to abandon region-locking and then do something like the Vita when you can have 8 accounts on one system. But that'd also be typically Nintendo...

PSqueak

Banned
I hope it does mean i can set a JP account on the side to just Digitally download games, for when the inevitable SRW for the Switch comes out.

The bigger thing in that article (which doesn't seem like anyone else made a topic for yet) is that Mii Maker still exists and is in the System Settings Menu AND Miis have been updated to have more options. This means an Activity Log and other thus far missing features could be under the System Settings Menu too.

On-Topic, so does this mean you could have an NA account, JP account, and EU account to make sure you get access to all normally region locked Virtual Console games?

Sweet Jesus hallelujah! That settles it...I can safely buy my Switch here in Japan and use it to download American games. And still buy Japanese games physically.

Top Bottom