• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Up to 8 account per Switch system; Region set by Account setting at creation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, boy. I hope that means it will work like the other consoles and I can actually juggle accounts on a single system.

Pandy

Region being identified by account sounds like PS3/PS4 account type of system. Which is great! :D

Well, it's great if you're looking forward to endless 'Nintendo banned my account and took all my digital purchases away from me!' threads.

Delio

If this is true..

zrR5mhA.gif

lenovox1

Please let this mean that they're doing what the PS4 does. Please, please don't lock the games from a given region to accounts from that region, let all accounts on the system use it. That is exactly what I was hoping for ;__;

pls no

The user accounts live in the top left corner in the UI.

At worst, you're talking about a minor inconvenience.

Madao

i think i might do physical english game + japanese eshop account combo. games release a bit earlier over there and there's a chance of games only releasing in japanese and there's like zero games that release in US shop that don't in jp.

ideally, they'll use the NNIDs that exist from Wii U and it'll be just a matter of logging in with them once the Switch is out. i already have a japanese NNID ready.

18-Volt

ShockingAlberto suggested that it locks you to the country of the first account but he wasn't sure.

I think this isn't true because you can create a MyNintendo account without a system. And if you sign in on a Switch that already have an account from another country, it wouldn't let you do that. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Perfect. I feel better about buying it when Splatoon 2 drops.

Kotaku's blocked at work so I'll read it later but now I'm wondering if each account needs their own online subscription or if it is shared on the system. Though this won't be an issue if my American profile can play my downloaded JPN games. Of course I can't imagine any other multiplayer games I'd be willing to pay for outside of Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. If we get a TvC port somehow I would die.

Kaelan

Sad that a lot of these answers are "we have nothing to announce at this time" Like seriously? The console will be out in about 7 weeks.

There better be a direct in Feb... like come on..

Good news. Been wondering about this since I am already running two different region accounts. Will be nice to be able to buy off of either shop.

Oersted

dude said the oval switch controller was real

When I remember correctly he heard people at Nintendo were pissed at the "leak" and due to that he assumed its real.

Or he said people were pissed and due to that everyone assumed its real. Not sure.

I bet money they do something to fuck this up. Account setup must be done on your phone. Nintendo will confirm with your carrier what region youre in within 24 hours.

Madao

So with this and the cards being read only, does this mean 8 saves for pokemon? Megaton.

carts have always been read only. all past handheld carts such as 3DS carts came with internal save space separate from the rom chip that holds the game itself.

expect Pokemon to be 1 save per cart again.

The user accounts live in the top left corner in the UI.

At worst, you're talking about a minor inconvenience.
That excuse gets a big ¯|_(ツ)_|¯ from me. I like playing all my games on one centralized account so all my playtimes and achievos are in one place. Guess it doesn't matter though if one or both of those features are missing.

I'm glad to hear that they are considering adding support for old-gen controllers in a firmware update. Opens up the possibility for my Wii U Pro Controller and the GameCube controller adapter for Smash.

I wouldn't get excited yet. This is Nintendo. It's going to turn out that all the user accounts have to belong to the same region, or something. Until I see it actually work, I remain skeptical.

Madao

That excuse gets a big ¯|_(ツ)_|¯ from me. I like playing all my games on one centralized account so all my playtimes and achievos are in one place. Guess it doesn't matter though if one or both of those features are missing.

on wii U, they let you play games purchased from a different NNID. like: i have a canadian and a US NNID and all games purchased with the US one are playable with the canadian one.
granted, the accounts are all tied to the same machine and we don't know if they'll tie them again this time but at least it shows they have let people use games on different accounts than the account that purchased the game.

BahamutPT

Can you buy digital eShop cards on Amazon like you can for PSN?

Physical imports aren't really an option for me as I would end up paying some 50% of the order (game+shipping) costs to customs authorities, so that would be a option.

Can you buy digital eShop cards on Amazon like you can for PSN?

Physical imports aren't really an option for me as I would end up paying some 50% of the order (game+shipping) costs to customs authorities, so that would be a option.

for amazon us yes. heck, us eshop no longer block non-us credit/debit card to topup the wallet now

I wouldn't get excited yet. This is Nintendo. It's going to turn out that all the user accounts have to belong to the same region, or something. Until I see it actually work, I remain skeptical.

This is really an unwarranted attitude. Nintendo surprises the public with good news constantly. After every E3 there are always a ton of posts like "what the hell Nintendo, where was this game during your Direct?!"

Nintendo didn't announce that the Wii U didn't have friend codes until November 7, 11 days before the Wii U launched.

Say they have shitty messaging and don't give enough details, sure, but handwringing and assuming the worst is foolish.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Region set by account setting at creation" sure sounds a lot like "once it's locked in to a region, it's set to that region forever". Is it confirmed each account can be set to different regions?

Rodin

The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)
This sounds good, hopefully there aren't bad surprises about it.

Please have one.
Hey Nintendo, you can still take my idea about using stamps for achievements organized in an album with pages for each game. You don't even have to pay me, just do it.

We have nothing to announce at this time.
They sure said that a lot lol

Top Bottom