• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Store not accepting my valid credit card anymore

Siegmeyer

Hey GAF

Tried to buy The Witness this morning in the sale, but I'm getting a mesage that my 'credit card information is not valid'. Card has another year until expiry, I've used it successfully many times and none of my details have changed since my last purchase in November so I'm stumped as to what the issue is. Tried deleting and re-adding the card, no joy, and the problem is there whether using the store through the PS4 or the web browser,

The message also includes the error code E-8200012C. Thought I'd post here in the hope someone else has had the same problem.

Also, what's the best way of contacting Sony support, e-mail or phone? Anyone know the number when calling from the UK?

Any help much appreciated.

drotahorror

The code can pop up on declined cards as well. I'd call your CC company and ask if the card is on hold or something and ask why you can't purchase from the store.

pahamrick

Hey GAF

Tried to buy The Witness this morning in the sale, but I'm getting a mesage that my 'credit card information is not valid'. Card has another year until expiry, I've used it successfully many times and none of my details have changed since my last purchase in November so I'm stumped as to what the issue is. Tried deleting and re-adding the card, no joy, and the problem is there whether using the store through the PS4 or the web browser,

The message also includes the error code E-8200012C. Thought I'd post here in the hope someone else has had the same problem.

Also, what's the best way of contacting Sony support, e-mail or phone? Anyone know the number when calling from the UK?

I've had that randomly happen 3 times over the last year, it usually fixes itself within a day or two. It's never been my card, its like PSN is having trouble with their payment processors.

Check the address, but only after 24 hours... They require the address to be stupidly insanely precise and for some weird reason my address seems to get reversed in their systems every year. And the reason I say wait 24 hours is because they have a dumb safety protocol in place that will lock you out for 24 hours but nowhere do they inform you of it.

This crap happens to me 2-4 times a year and it's always the address.

This happened to me in 2015. Nothing has changed and I hadn't made any adjustments to either my PSN account or my credit card, but it suddenly stopped working. I had two credit cards on my account and PayPal. Once the credit card tripped, it wouldn't accept PayPal either.

My credit cards never worked again. No matter which card I try or how long I wait or what information I confirm, it never works. Running it locks my PSN for 24 hours. I've had to switch to PayPal or PSN codes from Amazon.

PS customer service insisted it was my credit card. My credit card company, and all discernible evidence, says it's PSN. That was two years ago. Credit cards just don't work on my account anymore. Nobody can tell me why.

paulc316

Banned
Be careful, I got a similar error when I tried to do two transactions (ps+, failed first then tried again right after) yet they both ended up going through.

I haven't used my debit card on PSN since before the PS4 launched, but this past week a friend of mine also ran into this issue of PSN not accepting his valid debit card.

He removed his card info and re-added it, and it worked after that.

Then the next day it stopped working again.

I encouraged him to just use prepaid cards from Amazon since the code delivery is instant.

Donos

Hey GAF

There are two/three threads with ppl who have the same problem. Me too.

Searched google a whole evening and what i have found from other people, it suggested that your CC got flagged one time in the past and now you have to unflag it with Sony/your CC firm. Adding Paypal doesn't work either, it still gives you error. Removing and addig the CC doesn't help either.

In my case, my CC (DKB, germany) was one time at the credit limit and maybe this was the moment it got flagged.

Since i'm to lazy to sit half an hour in phone lines, i just use amazon PSN codes now.

lately the PS-Store just errors out on checkout. But buys the games anyways. Make sure to check your emails for the receipts and game library.

Fonds

Its not you its PSN.

I've had issues registering my card because of the address lines being faulty.

For some reason it wouldn't accept the addition to my house number.
I've been using iDeal as an alternative for ages now.

wouwie

Same here (Visa). It just stopped working at some point and it never worked since then (it doesn't consider my card as valid). It works in every other store/service i use (never had any problem at all). It's a mistery. I stopped caring and bought PSN cards instead.

virtualS

Happens to me on my perfectly valid Visa. Only online (web) and not when purchasing on an actual console.

There have been a number of times when ive filled my basket, its errored out and ive decided not to purchase anything.

Bad for business.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it helps but PSN seems to not allow you to use cards outside of the country of issue anymore. So if your IP doesn't match the location the card was issued it's declined. Happened to me earlier in the year at least and that was the explanation support gave me. Only service that I couldn't get to work overseas

Carn82

you're not alone OP.. my card suddenly stopped working in the webstore a few weeks ago. I get a Mastercard 'secure code' screen that shows that it's processing and then it just returns me to my checkout basket. Weird thing is, when I add funds to my PSN-account with my CC it works just fine..

Hjod

Banned
I have the same problem, I think it has something to do with your address, you need to be super specific, call your bank and see what address they have in their system, it needs to be exactly as they have it, even if it's in caps, same spacing and everything.

I couldn't be bothered so I buy PSN-cards online instead.

Dr.Tentacle

Same here.

I had used my card to buy games from PSN until last year. I contacted Sony (PlayStation Hong Kong) 6 months ago but I have never got any respond from them.

Funny thing is... my Paypal, which link to the same card, is working perfectly !

Siegmeyer

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't think the address not matching exactly can be the problem because I've made many purchases on this card in the past, and none of my details have changed since then.

I'm going to try calling Sony and my bank anyway, but it seems like using codes is the easiest way around this.

Is there anywhere you can buy codes for a specific amount? I'm thinking probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Kind of annoying I have to give them more money than I need to when it seems the fault is at their end.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
When my last card expired I found it impossible to add a new one to PSN, tried several cards on the web and on the PS4, errors every time, I got that same advice about the addresses not matching but they definitely did. I gave up and set up Paypal in the end.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Considering how often PSN comes in the news for compromises, that's not a bad thing OP.

Nheco

Xbox Live stopped accepting my primary card too, a Master Card. I contact MS, and they said that the issue was with the payment provider, I contact my card provider and they assure me that's everything ok. After a while I just added another card to my account and that's all.

Mariip

They want to sell you prepaid cards.
Last year i deleted my card from psn(because hacks) and when i tried to use it again it said my card wasn't valid anymore, that's when i noticed no card would work anymore... Called costumer service and they told me they can't fix this kind of error and that i should buy prepaid cards

I live in Brazil so i can't buy credits from amazon nor paypal here, i gotta spend R$100 to buy R$35 games now :|
But i've heard that mistake happens often in other countries too, it's just that we don't have good alternatives

I wouldn't register my creditcard again considering their refund policy, sony is just insane sometimes...

acidagfc

Hey OP, try adding credits to the account via Account Management page. You can use the same card that is linked to the account.

Apparently they recently enabled 3D Secure support and this page is asking for SMS code. So you can still add funds via that page, but cannot purchase directly via store page. Which is shit, but at least it can be worked around.

Might be something else, but worth checking.

Lima

Call your bank or credit card company. With how often PSN reports of accounts getting "hacked" surface some banks have blocked cards for use on PSN as a security measure. You have to call and say that you want to unlock it. For some you even have to call every time you want to make a purchase because they only unlock the card for 1 hour.

jvm

Gamasutra.
You tried and you failed. The lesson is, never try.

Seriously, use a prepaid card. 😀

Siegmeyer

Hey OP, try adding credits to the account via Account Management page. You can use the same card that is linked to the account.

Apparently they recently enabled 3D Secure support and this page is asking for SMS code. So you can still add funds via that page, but cannot purchase directly via store page. Which is shit, but at least it can be worked around.

Might be something else, but worth checking.

Well I spoke to Sony and I have to wait 24 hours before I try again, but I'll definitely give this a go tomorrow, thanks.

In the meantime I just bought a £15 code from Amazon and bought the game that way.

It's not you - it's PSN. Their infrastructure is trash.

As far as what way is best to contact them? Honestly, none of them. They have the worst customer service in the business. I have worked with them 3-4 times on different issues and they have been nothing if not completely unhelpful and extremely unprofessional. Often, if you are unhappy with an answer, they will just end chat and kick you back to the end of the queue. So either keep trying until it works because if you call them, they'll tell you to keep trying until it works (wait, wait, wait.) If you miss the sale, you're out of luck.

BadWolf

Started happening to me early this year out of the blue with paypal, has saved me a lot of money lol.

What seems to have worked for some people is buying through the PS4 instead of the online store via PC.

AlexBasch

It's even better when the damn thing asks you for the verification code in the back and feels like you're wrong just to make things more complicated.

Useless shit. I use prepaid cards as well because of that.

Same here ( France ).

Since march 2016 i had problems but now it's getting ridiculous since july.

It worked when i deleted my card info and put it all in UPPERCASE for some reason.
Calling the tech support didn't help.
When it's like this you can't even paypal throught it.

ShyMel

Along with address issues, if you have more than one CC linked to your account, checking out can be an issue too. In you have Card A as your default, but want to pay with Card B, you have to go and switch Card B to be the default. Otherwise, when it asks for the security code, it will be checking against Card A. It's a hassle that Sony needs to fix.

PSN is pretty anal about your billing address. It needs to be exactly the same down to the spacing and even if you were using capital or small letters. I would recommend logging in your bank account online and checking the address linked to your CC.

I would also highly recommend using Amazon to buy PSN voucher rather than using your CC directly. PSN is notorious for being hacked.

Top Bottom