• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over designed long swords are common enough but what about over designed katanas?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I was looking through some old WoW screenshots I had when I noticed something kinda weird that I realized extended beyond just WoW. Western swords like the bastard sword, claymore, long sword, messer and even rapier all appear in video games in their basic forms at the start of the game but eventually spiral into out of control color carnivals by the end. The same however cannot really be said for eastern weapon designs, specifically katanas.

Let's use WoW through the end of TBC as an example.

You have your basic bastard sword at the starting levels:
53780-bastard-sword.jpg
By end game you've got something like this:

Mean while with WoW katana's all practically look like this
The most elaborate they get is the felsteel longblade

Though you could make the argument that the dragonscale encursted longblade is a katana inspired model which would make it he most elaborate katana design in the game as far as I know (even to date not just in the example time frame).

Skyrim has rather ornate and elaborate weapon designs for the high end one handed and two handed swords, but the highest quality katana's in that game all look like very basic katana's with either a red tint, black tint or gold tint to them.

Anyways this isn't really a problem specific to western designed games, Ninja Gaiden Sigma for example has the traditional dragon sword katana that ryu uses and when fully upgraded to the true dragon sword all it gets is a glowing gem at the hilt and an aura on the sword, meanwhile the dabilahro a massive two handed sword starts off as a basic looking buster sword type thing but at its max level basically looks like something devil farted out.

Devil May Cry also does this, with force edge being a basic looking two handed sword that has the final form of sparda, a hellish looking transforming blade and rebellion being this ornate looking skeletal themed sword meanwhile Yamato is just a basic katana with a distinct yellow strip on the sheath.

I would wager that the basic design of the katana is still considered to be exotic enough to warrant looking plain while still conveying a sense of rarity and strength I take it? While the traditional design of western swords in the realm of video games are often understood as being "basic" or "starter equipment".

Naturally there are games that circumvent this like dark souls but outside of a few weapons (namely the MLGS) dark souls doesn't really have too many weapons that are ridiculous looking anyways however the few that exist all seem to be based on a western design, even the quelaag fury sword acts like a falchion.

Really when I think of "ridiclous katana's" only three weapons come to mind, Sephiroths goddamn washing pole of a sword and Jetstream Sam's high frequency murasama, and the super silly quad beam katana from no more heroes.

So if you guys have some weird ass designs I've missed or flat out think that my observation is wrong and I should feel bad please share!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I can't believe I forgot monster hunter's longsword lmfao! Yeah those are absolute insanity with their designs. But to be fair nearly everything in monster hunter is over the top with its designs.

Xypher

I feel like greatswords are generally supposed to look "badass" and be used fiercely, while katanas are supposed to be sleek and precise weapons, so they wouldn't evoke the same kind of feeling if they would be completely over designed, while it fits with the general feel and aesthetic of greatswords.

PSqueak

Banned
I used to think Master Yi's Katana from League of legends was over designed until the Man at Arms episode where they revealed:

A) It's not actually a Katana
B) There are actual Real Swords with Rings like Master Yi's sword.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel like greatswords are generally supposed to look "badass" and be used fiercely, while katanas are supposed to be sleek and precise weapons, so they wouldn't evoke the same kind of feeling if they would be completely over designed, while it fits with the general feel and aesthetic of greatswords.

Yeah I considered this too, but in MMO's and most RPGs Katana's basically share the same function as any other 1 handed or 2 handed sword, they don't influence your class but rather just occupy your weapon slot and add damage modifier to your attacks.

So it's kind of weird that most big western RPGs feature crazy 2 handed swords but not crazy looking katanas.

Also another game that I just though of that actually keeps it's katana's pretty basic is sengoku basara.

Most of the katana models in that game have a slightly unique color scheme, guard design or sheathing position but they all look like katana's for the most part, and this is a game that also has some absolutely ridiculous character designs including a character that basically fights with food.

Wulfram

If you mess with a katana too much I'm not sure its a katana any more. Whereas "long sword" is fairly nonspecific.

Xypher

If you mess with a katana too much I'm not sure its a katana any more. Whereas "long sword" is fairly nonspecific.

This is what I think too, if you make it longer it becomes an Ōdachi, if you make it shorter it becomes a wakizashi, which both look like long / short katanas respectively. If you make the blade wider you have a "standard" long sword, so in terms of raw blade design, it needs to stay almost exactly the same in order to still be a katana, so the only options you have to give it a cooler design would be colors, the hilts and of course engravings, which would have to be really detailed because the blade is so thin.

Syril

The best example I know of is the Kakaru Kumo Naki in Monster Hunter Generations.

13534356_1555012614807490_1336559055_n.jpg

All the weapons made from the Mizutsune in that game look like they're designed to be used in ceremonies.

Dazza

Yep this, the definition of a katana is quite strict, from the type of metal and techniques used in manufacture, to the length and where the curvature starts

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Yeah I think this is the crux of the problem, disregarding the semantics of what actually defines something as being a katana if you mess with the shape too much it stops looking like one.

lazygecko

Whenever I transmog swords in WoW nowadays I hardly ever find myself picking anything from WotLK onwards. Swords don't even look like swords anymore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Serrakura is pretty fancy without venturing into WoW-esque spikes-and-demon-faces design.

Cosmetic_icon_Serrakura.png

Has a custom pink particle effect:
Serrakura_Omnislash.gif

Top Bottom