• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT : Trump prepares orders to slash UN funding and abrogate internaltional treaties

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing executive orders that would clear the way to drastically reduce the United States' role in the United Nations and other international organizations, as well as begin a process to review and potentially abrogate certain forms of multilateral treaties, officials said.

The first of the two draft orders, titled ”Auditing and Reducing U.S. Funding of International Organizations" and obtained by The New York Times, calls for terminating funding for any United Nations agency or other international body that meets any one of several criteria.

The order establishes a committee to recommend where those funding cuts should be made. It asks the committee to look specifically at United States funding for peacekeeping operations; the International Criminal Court; development aid to countries that ”oppose important United States policies"; and the United Nations Population Fund, which oversees maternal and reproductive health programs.

If President Trump signs the order and its provisions are carried out, the cuts could severely curtail the work of United Nations agencies, which rely on billions of dollars in annual United States contributions for missions that include caring for refugees.

The second executive order, ”Moratorium on New Multilateral Treaties," calls for a review of all current and pending treaties with more than one other nation. It asks for recommendations on which negotiations or treaties the United States should leave.

For example, the Paris climate agreement or other environmental treaties deal with trade issues but could potentially fall under this order.

An explanatory statement that accompanies the draft order mentions two United Nations treaties for review: the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/united-nations-trump-administration.html

Ratros

Is there an end to all these nonsense? It's only been 5 days, I thought as a mature democracy we had a countermeasure to control maniacs...

cDNA

The second executive order, “Moratorium on New Multilateral Treaties,” calls for a review of all current and pending treaties with more than one other nation. It asks for recommendations on which negotiations or treaties the United States should leave.

For example, the Paris climate agreement or other environmental treaties deal with trade issues but could potentially fall under this order.

An explanatory statement that accompanies the draft order mentions two United Nations treaties for review: the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Is not that the job of the Senate? To ratify International Treaties.

Oersted

White women, this is on you. You voted for a rapist.

Still, every single leader in every country will say; "USA is our friend, we must respect them".

No. That train has passed. America found that one guy that make people genuinely miss Bush. And literally noone missed Bush.

No, seriously, why the fuck do they hate people so much?

ETA: oh wait, US signed but never ratified CEDAW or CRC. ...so, what is this even about?

Con_Smith

Banned
How long until some smart ass comes saying this is a good thing or how they see nothing wrong.

How much more time do we have left to give this fucker a chance to shit on democracy, diplomacy, decorum and anything else that gave us the illusion of a super power?

JordanN

Banned
I'm literally running out of anti-Trump material. Haven't used this one yet.

giphy.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh for fuck sake, Trump's going full ham on ruining our country.....where the hell are all those people who said to give him a chance let alone the open supporters. They've been suspiciously absent in all of these "our fucking president is doing a lot of bad shit." threads all week. :mad:

What the fuck?

Russia must be giddy that this sentient tangerine is destroying US influence on the global stage.

He should be tried for all of this.

Dartastic

How the hell can he get away with so many executive orders so quickly? Like, these can't all be legal. Then again, he probably doesn't give a fuck.

I should stop looking at Off-Topic and start building my bunker.

I am trying to visit OT less, but I just can't ignore whats happening. While I am not from the US, stuff like this, environmental deregulations, calling for the EU to crumble etc. will affect us all.

5 days in and I do not believe the US (the world actually) can handle him for 4 years without getting away with some serious irreparable damage.

Too many people didn't vote for Hillary because she got paid for making speeches sometimes and had an email server.

Now the entire post-WW2 global liberal order is at risk of being destroyed by a rich fascist reality TV star.

I refuse to give up just yet. I know there are people out there who opposes Trump and the constitution doesn't give Trump this level of power.

elguero

Tens if not hundreds of thousands will die without US-funded UN peace keeping missions in places like the Central African Republic and Liberia

I feel like this paragraph is important since it specifies where funding will be cut

Those criteria include organizations that give full membership to the Palestinian Authority or Palestine Liberation Organization, or support programs that fund abortion or any activity that circumvents sanctions against Iran or North Korea. The draft order also calls for terminating funding for any organization that “is controlled or substantially influenced by any state that sponsors terrorism” or is blamed for the persecution of marginalized groups or any other systematic violation of human rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom