• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kojima Productions Studio Tour

Kindekuma

Banned
IGN got exclusive access to KojiPro's new office in Tokyo. Interesting look into the studio, Hideo, and the team behind Death Stranding.

Link to the article

According to Kojima he was very inspired to set up the studio like Media Molecule, where it felt more like a club and a homey feel rather than most traditional studios.

As for Kojima himself, he said that starting the studio a year ago was like building and launching a spaceship. He needed a crew that he knew and trusted to get them into orbit. Now that they're out in space, he wants people who can help take him to uncharted planets. They're bringing in folks from the games industry who come from outside of Japan, as well as people who come from completely different mediums like film and sculpture.

-e3a2625-1485408084258.jpg
-e3a3067-1485408084242.jpg
-e3a3036-1485408084244.jpg
-e3a3005-1485408084246.jpg

BBC LINK

Wow their studio is amazing!

It's incredible that Kojima said that Media Molecule's studio inspired him the most, I idolize MM, they're such lovely people and their studio is incredible! They also made my favorite game of all time, LittleBigPlanet!

I'm really looking forward to what Kojima and his awesome team makes!

Holy shit that office is insane.
The all white entrance hallway with Ludens probably does really make you feel like you're entering another world.

One of the cooler looking studios I've seen in a while.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The white hallway is fucking gigantic btw. For perspective, the small statue you see in the middle of it is 5ft tall.

orochi91

I sincerely hope Sony did not blow money on setting up this studio.

KP is not a 1st-party studio, they shouldn't be entitled to any WWS resources.

themoose5

Neo Member
Holy shit. Sony must be sweating right for giving him a blank check.

I think Sony knew what they were getting into when they gave Kojima that blank check and when his game does come out they'll make a killing. More than likely going to be well worth the investment up front.

When he said recruiting all I can picture is Kojima sneaking into other offices and tranquilizung candidates and fultoning them to KojiPro.

MGSV was such a great game.

_Ryo_

Pretty awesome and hiring people outside of gaming to help is awesome too. Yu Suzuki did the same thing with Shenmue by hiring a real life architect and a film director.

When he said recruiting all I can picture is Kojima sneaking into other offices and tranquilizung candidates and fultoning them to KojiPro.

MGSV was such a great game.

He's already brought over a number of key KojiPro staff

But it looks like that’s not all, either. Apparently, Kojima also has Masaki Saito and Jackie Tan, formerly game designers at Konami, working at his new studio. He’s also managed to get Yasuhiro Kawakami, cinematic artist at Konami, working at the new Kojima Productions. Chihoko Uchiyama, who was the senior character designer at Konami, has also been recruited by Kojima. And in what is probably Kojima’s biggest coup, he has Akio Sakamoto, the man who designed the core of the FOX Engine, working with him at the new Kojima Productions, too.

http://gamingbolt.com/death-strandi...ng-everyone-from-konami-to-kojima-productions

Man, that's awesome. I wonder how common in Japan is that type of studio style? The impression I've gotten is that it's mostly western studios that have that relaxed atmosphere.

Also, it looks like Kojima got a book author to be his editor. SO YA'LL WORRIED ABOUT THE STORY COMING OUT WEIRD, DON'T BE

big_z

Man, that's awesome. I wonder how common in Japan is that type of studio style? The impression I've gotten is that it's mostly western studios that have that relaxed atmosphere.

looks fairly Japanese to me. just because its new doesn't mean it wont have that grind atmosphere once people fill those desks. any studio can be relaxed, its how its run that matters.

not a huge fan of having the kitchen/eating area right where you work. its nice to get away from your immediate work area on breaks.

Top Bottom