• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kojima Productions Studio Tour

Auctopus

It's not exclusive. BBC got in too and will be airing a half an hour interview with him including a guided tour around Tokyo.

Anecdotally, whenever we see a Sony face behind every first-party project, it's 99% of the time Shu Yoshida.

Which makes sense. He's president of first-party. His very job is portfolio management of first party investment. It doesn't matter if it's a Naughty Dog game or an XDev game.

But with Death Stranding/Kojima... Sony's face, the ones Kojima has meetings with... is Andrew House himself.

There is definitely the impression that this is a deal that is above even Shu's management of authority.

True.
It's a real prestige project.

Doubt we see A. House be so involved in a games development like this again for a long while.
Pretty cool to see.

AAMARMO

Banned
Two interesting little pieces about Kojima on BBC News this morning - short video included (not Death Stranding specific - just didn't think it deserved its own thread).

Hideo Kojima says games and films will merge together

Touring Tokyo with Kojima
Looks like Shinji Hirano is coming to!
DwX6UAb.png
228332-shinji-hirano.jpg

Kojima should try pitching high quality licensed game to his film director friend. Imagine high budget AAA Pacific Rim games or Mad Max games.

That'd be a dream come true. But for now, just concentrate on Death Stranding.

Kojima should try pitching high quality licensed game to his film director friend. Imagine high budget AAA Pacific Rim games or Mad Max games.

That'd be a dream come true. But for now, just concentrate on Death Stranding.

I'm sure has enough original ideas to last the rest of his career. A licensed game would be a waste.

Melchiah

-e3a2625-1485408084258.jpg

According to Kojima he was very inspired to set up the studio like Media Molecule, where it felt more like a club and a homey feel rather than most traditional studios.

Damn, that's a cool image, and the working conditions sound good as well.

His next few games better be Playstation console exclusive if Sony are paying for this, the grumpy skeptic in me is thinking this money could have kept some studios like Evolution alive for a bit more .

jett

D-Member
Well that's just crazy looking. Kojima sure ain't hoarding any money. :p Is Sony really paying for all of this?

And in movies and alcohol (For those not in the know Kojima drinks A LOT of alcohol)

Frankly it feels like Sony is giving Kojima anything he wants

zqlc.png

That's just a Magnificent Seven media package.

M.D

Kojima: Alright, so.. I'm gonna need about $50 million
Sony: That's not as bad as we thought! There you go bud
Kojima: ..To set up the studio
Sony: *Hello. You have reached Guerrilla Cambridge, please hold.*

Corpsepyre

Banned
Seeing the video, it's more apparent now that we shouldn't expect the game till 2020, or till when the PS5 hits. ATLEAST.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The fact that Kojima is a huge Mads Mikkelsen fanboy warms my heart.

orochi91

Kojima: Alright, so.. I'm gonna need about $50 million
Sony: That's not as bad as we thought! There you go bud
Kojima: ..To set up the studio
Sony: *Hello. You have reached Guerrilla Cambridge, please hold.*

+1

Blowing this much cash on a 3rd-party studio, while closing down your own 1st-party studios (evolution and guerrilla Cambridge), is so absurd. Assuming Sony is footing the bill for all this, of course.

The game ain't even exclusive, which makes it even harder to rationalize the resources being pumped into KP.

+1

Blowing this much cash on a 3rd-party studio, while closing down your own 1st-party studios (evolution and guerrilla Cambridge), is so absurd. Assuming Sony is footing the bill for all this, of course.

The game ain't even exclusive, which makes it even harder to rationalize the resources being pumped into KP.
Maybe it is exclusive now?

Elandyll

Banned
Did I miss any evidence out there about Sony funding the formation of his studio?
Just a lot of people assuming things :)

Obviously Sony and Kojima are close, but it would seem to me that the man would probably cherish his independance after the whole Konami ordeal, and having his studio directly co financed by Sony would go against that.

Imo the studio itself is financed by Kojima, some friends/ colleagues of his, and probably some loans (as well as possibly some un-related investors). The big Death Stranding project, and possibly some advances from Sony, probably helped secure said loans though.

A general relativity metric and Maxwell's equations. I like that.

Wow, my favorite quotation is even scrawled on their board. I AM EXCITE!

Neat! :) The juxtaposition of those equations with the passage from William Blake ("To See a World in a Grain of Sand...") would seem to support RagnarRox's suggestion from back in July, starting at 14m15s:
RagnarRox - The Story of Death Stranding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCQvFPll-oQ&t=855s
[14:15]...someone on Reddit found this VERY high resolution image on the servers of the Kojima Productions homepage that provides a much clearer picture of the engravings... two of them have scientific equations etched into them. The first equation describes the so-called Schwartzchild Radius... the other dog tag shows the so-called Dirac Equation, a breakthrough in particle physics by the British physicist Paul Dirac...[16:20]... what we can, and I think should, do is focus on what these topics add to the interpretation... I'm fairly convinced these equations bear a more metaphoric implication for the overall themes. Becuase what commonalities do these two equations share? What's their greatest common denominator? It's Relativity. Before Dirac, there had already been equations describing particles in quantum mechanics. The Schrodinger Equation for example. The achievement that Dirac brought to the table was that he was the first to take Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity into account... [17:03] ...His conclusions were an immediate result of Einstein's riveting discovery, whereas the Schwartzchild solution was directly based on Einstein's Theory of General Relativity... [20:32] ...the idea that... you are [in Blake's words] able to see a ‘heaven in a wild flower', you are... holding eternity in an hour... Blake's poem leads this premise that... to the conclusion that...

some of you are acting as if Kojima is the big winner of this deal while there isn't much in for Sony

This is obviously a long term partnership and investment. Maybe the first Game won't make much money due the high investment, but the second or the third one could very well do.
This is a investment in the next systemseller Franchise (and if we consider that Sony is taking a big risks with Studios like GG or Sony Bend, then this Kojima Partnership doesn't seem as such huge deal)

Also afaik Sony own the Death Stranding IP (they are funding the game, giving the Engine and the trailers are starting with -> Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents)

so even if the game comes out on PC, Sony is profiting from it aswell

some of you are acting as if Kojima is the big winner of this deal while there isn't much in for Sony

This is obviously a long term partnership and investment. Maybe the first Game won't make much money due the high investment, but the second or the third one could very well do.
This is a investment in the next systemseller Franchise (and if we consider that Sony is taking a big risks with Studios like GG or Sony Bend, then this Kojima Partnership doesn't seem as such huge deal)

Also afaik Sony own the Death Stranding IP (they are funding the game, giving the Engine and the trailers are starting with -> Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents)

so even if the game comes out on PC, Sony is profiting from it aswell
yeah, I believe Sony is publishing. Wonder if one day all of Sony's games will be PS/PC? Interesting...I'm not sure it really devalues consoles like it once did to have a lot of the platform's exclusives shared with the PC world.

Really, I look at it like PC = Android/Linux and Sony/MS/Nintendo are each different flavors of Apple where they control everything. Perhaps it may be smart to play both sides, MS seem to be inching that way.

BadWolf

Looks wonderful, great to see them end up in such an environment after the hell they went through with Konami.

Can't friggin wait to see more of Death Stranding.

Apathy

yeah, I believe Sony is publishing. Wonder if one day all of Sony's games will be PS/PC? Interesting...I'm not sure it really devalues consoles like it once did to have a lot of the platform's exclusives shared with the PC world.

Really, I look at it like PC = Android/Linux and Sony/MS/Nintendo are each different flavors of Apple where they control everything. Perhaps it may be smart to play both sides, MS seem to be inching that way.

Just because kojima wants it to be in PC and if Sony publishes it on the PC to retain rights and profits from it, doesnt mean they'll suddenly start tossing all their games on steam. I think sometimes we fall into these thoughts that if it happens once it means it will continue to happen. Look at everyone's gone to the rapture, even though Sony mobile published it on steam, it didn't make uc 4 suddenly be a PC release too.

+1

It's probably exclusive at this point, considering it's running on a Sony first party engine. If they invest in it, it's probably because they feel they can make a lot of money from it. If they close studios that's probably because they cost them money. That's how business generally works. Looking at the sales of Kojima's games, I can see why they want to invest in him.

Though I doubt Sony payed for all of this. It's not as if Kojima doesn't earned a small fortune due to MG.

kennyamr

They haven't even started making the game yet, have they?

Something tells me that this will be a cross platform with the PS5.

Kindekuma

Banned
They haven't even started making the game yet, have they?

Something tells me that this will be a cross platform with the PS5.

The game is already in full development, although it didn't start until a bit later into 2016 since they were still deciding on an engine. The game is said to come out before 2020, so maybe 2018 or 2019.

vpance

+1

I doubt it's that much money. Anything under $100 million is worth it to see what kind of batshit crazy game Kojima can think up.

Condolences to EVO and Cambridge, but if it's between them and something like Death Stranding I'm taking the latter.

Top Bottom