• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts FY2017 Q2 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 55m (up 14,5%) Gaming revenue $3.595bn

Microsofts Fiscal Year 2017 Quarter 2 Earnings Results for the period 1st October - 31st December 2016

notable events, with impact on the Gaming segment performance:
- fist holiday season without Xbox 360 hardware sales
- product mix shift towards Xbox One S
- Gears of War 4 release for Xbox One and Windows 10

overall Company overview and Financial Highlights:

·        Revenue was $24.1 billion (up 1%) GAAP, and $26.1 billion (up 3%) non-GAAP
·        Operating income was $6.2 billion (up 3%) GAAP, and $8.2 billion (up 11%) non-GAAP
·        Net income was $5.2 billion (up 4%) GAAP, and $6.5 billion (up 12%) non-GAAP
·        Diluted earnings per share was $0.66 (up 6%) GAAP, and $0.83 (up 15%) non-GAAP

finished after hour trading - new All Time High
C3JT5evWYAA4BKH.jpg

More Personal Computing division and Gaming segment Financial Highlights and Investor Metrics:

BTW here is the More Personal Computing Revenue Breakdown

Total Revenue $11.823bn

Windows ~ $5.151bn (most inaccurate one)

Gaming 3.595bn

Devices ~1.697bn
Surface 1.321bn
Phone ~0.206bn
Other ~0.170bn

Bing ~1.652bn

Total Operating Income $2.499bn

C3IEuBeXAAAQMb2.jpg

C3IJ4yEWEAQBtRG.jpg:large

C3IF306W8AAdSNG.jpg

Xbox Live Monthly Active User growth chart (shamelessly stolen from Daniel Ahmad industry analyst at Niko Partners @ZhugeEx on Twitter)

Outlook and Conference Call talk:

Amy Hood, CFO
And in More Personal Computing, we expect revenue of $9.05 to $9.35 billion.
In Gaming, we expect normal post-holiday trends, with declines in hardware console volumes and pricing balanced by higher engagement, usage and transaction volume.
[...], and actually we continue to see the growth in the consumer services around the transactions that run through Xbox, that's also a good margin business for us that looks quite different than the hardware profile.

sources:
https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...?version=5021c9d2-a7b3-71aa-062f-2ade5be7896e
http://shareholder.api.edgar-online...ZlaeyHBgtr08_r&ID=11802442&PageBreakStyleID=2
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/824728148860403717

Welfare

55M Live members is big. Console volume still down is troubling though.

$1B from digital is also great.

Gestault

Seeing a hard number of $1 Billion in digital-only transactions isn't necessarily surprising, but it's crazy how...well, crazy that would have sounded ten years ago.

Console sales still down YoY is troubling though.

I figured this accounts for a lot of that:

- first holiday season without Xbox 360 hardware sales

The only numbers that are really relevant to One are the software revenue and the # of LIVE users, and even those are bumped up by Win10 players.

It would seem that opening up their games as true multiplatform releases with PC is helping the bottom line.

Not surprised at the digital boost. Im still all digital this gen. Big live numbers too.

MS is in good shape then? Obviously no where near the monster ps4, but good nonetheless seemingly?

TBiddy

Not surprised at the digital boost. Im still all digital this gen. Big live numbers too.

MS is in good shape then? Obviously no where near the monster ps4, but good nonetheless seemingly?

Absolutely in good shape. Could be better, of course, but I think they are happy with the numbers. 55 million monthly users is pretty damn good, even though it includes those who use the Xbox App in Windows 10 and the few dozen Windows Phone users out there (I miss my Lumia 920 :().

Sales down YoY is not surprising, considering the 360 was probably still selling well in some markets.

ethomaz

Banned
Hardware volume down was expected after Oct + Nov + Dec NPD.

The increase in MAU is lower than same period in 2015.

Arkam

So they are selling lest consoles at a lower price... but the attach rate is very healthy. That is not a bad place to be in. Attach rate is what will ultimately determine success.

ethomaz

Banned
So they are selling lest consoles at a lower price... but the attach rate is very healthy. That is not a bad place to be in. Attach rate is what will ultimately determine success.
Where I can find the attach rate info???

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Monthly active users 55m on a console with a 26m install base? Are they counting ANY device capable of accessing LIVE? If so, I'd like to see the numbers for active users on the XB1 alone.

shandy706

I have no idea what any of this really means for MS.

High fives, sitting quietly with no expression, and crying in defeat....to cover all angles.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The growth in Xbox Live users in the last two years is crazy. Always thought the numbers were higher during the Xbox 360 years but I guess it hovered around 20 million users.

ethomaz

Banned
Monthly active users 55m on a console with a 26m install base? Are they counting ANY device capable of accessing LIVE? If so, I'd like to see the numbers for active users on the XB1 alone.
Xbox One, Windows 10 and mobile platforms.

The growth in Xbox Live users in the last two years is crazy. Always thought the numbers were higher during the Xbox 360 years but I guess it hovered around 20 million users.
360 was alone in that metric.

shandy706

Nintendo 31st January. Sony 2nd february.

When is Apple's?

I just ordered a Macbook Pro.

I figure I might as well cover every angle. PS4/X1/PC(windows)/Macbook Pro/Vita/Switch (preordered).

Am I missing anything? I already have an NES Classic. Sega have anything coming out?

sirronoh

Is it people who 'pay' for the service or anyone who just happens to access or look at content through it?

Yeah the Xbox Live number is good but it does make you wonder how it's defined beyond just saying "Xbox One, Windows 10 and mobile platforms." And to be fair, every mega corporation has stats like this where data is nebulously defined to mask individual performance.

All-in-all though, I'd say that's a good quarter for the folks at Microsoft.

ethomaz

Banned
Is it people who 'pay' for the service or anyone who just happens to access or look at content through it? I've always suspected these numbers since MS focused heavily on them.
You need to pay Xbox Live on Windows 10 or mobile for what?

It is only active Live Users in the month... you don't need to be paid user.

Pif

Banned
I want to see the receipts on x360/x1/windows/smart devices Live users.

Also, are we back at not sharing concrete sales numbers?

Edit: Also, what is a MAU? Is a non-paying 8 year old that looks at streams part of that metric?

Boke1879

I want to see the receipts on x360/x1/windows/smart devices Live users.

Also, are we back at not sharing concrete sales numbers?

I highly doubt you'll see them do this for the remainder of the gen. With PS4 sales they'd probably rather not disclose those numbers in a statement.

NolbertoS

Only a matter of time now that they'll be out of the industry? Right?

I'd give them 2 years, based on Scorpio's deliverance. They are practically crossing teir fingers till their finger bone breaks that Scorpio starts eating into PS4 marketshare

Top Bottom