• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts FY2017 Q2 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 55m (up 14,5%) Gaming revenue $3.595bn

4Tran

There's not a lot of posts because there's not a lot to discuss since numbers are hidden or obfuscated.

Same reason why NPD threads have really died off, even during the months that Xbox won. It's hard to have a discussion when all you can really do is speculate or guess what the actual gaming related numbers are.
Pretty much. All we know for sure is that gaming revenue is down overall and software revenue is up. Is this good news or bad news or middling news? Nobody can say for sure without more concrete numbers. I'd imagine though that they're not as high as Microsoft would like, but that's still speculation. What we can say for sure though is that, as Microsoft's profits are largely driven by other products and services, most investors aren't going to care much about Xbox one way or another.

Nzyme32

But Xbox play anywhere titles are not playable in surface, weird

I'm not using the Surface for much gaming related other than CRPGs on other services - my response is purely to his contention that Surface as a product is a lost cause - which I hugely doubt all things considered. For me it is primarily audio workstation, research journals and other work related stuff that often needs a lot of processing power - productivity I guess, but with the benefit of being pretty competent for processing power I need.

Gaming wise, lots of smaller things will work perfectly and some RTS / CRPGs but it's not a priority. Xbox games / play anywhere stuff so far is not going to happen since they are more intensive. Streaming is no issue. I've used Steam's in-home streaming for gaming or other services and stuff locally on my other PC when I got a bit lazy and its flawless, so I'm sure xbox streaming will be fine too, but it hardly has the same usefulness as a native game since the device isn't nearly used much at home vs travelling and working

When was the last time Microsoft sold a part of their business? I've always seen them as kind of a black hole where nothing escapes once past the event horizon.

9 months ago. the "feature phone" business
REDMOND, Wash. — May 18, 2016 — Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday announced it reached an agreement to sell the company's entry-level feature phone assets to FIH Mobile Ltd., a subsidiary of Hon Hai/Foxconn Technology Group, and HMD Global, Oy for $350 million. As part of the deal, FIH Mobile Ltd. will also acquire Microsoft Mobile Vietnam — the company's Hanoi, Vietnam, manufacturing facility.
Read more at https://news.microsoft.com/2016/05/...le-ltd-and-hmd-global-oy/#ZjUirBpqrEu3ZrSi.99

but you're right. beside that, they never sold anything major

You pull a large percentage of your numbers from your ass though. It's lots of guessing for the most part.
oh shut up that nonsense
ALL numbers are from official Q10 SEC fillings

MisterR

i posted a shit ton of numbers here in the topic
and also npd is providing even more information now, than before

majority of gaf tho, just care for unit sales numbers and nothing else or stuff they can use for console wars like platform splits. that is the reason, why these topics went quite.

You pull a large percentage of your numbers from your ass though. It's lots of guessing for the most part.

Elandyll

Banned
So are they selling the Xbox or not?
I know you are being facetious, but selling the brand will (probably) never happen.

Stopping the production of custom hardware though? Maybe. High costs in R&D for little return now that Win10 devices themselves are tied to Live.

As I have said before, I could see them just leasing the brand to a HTPC maker, tie further in Xbox as the gaming brand of Win10, make Live accounts mandatory for users of desktop or mobile devices ising Win10, and work on promoting/ furthering their own App store (UWA).

Top Bottom