• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 biohazard has shipped 2.5M copies

FelipeMGM

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/news/html/170127.html

Its in Japanese, so if anyone could get a full translation we all would appreciate

In their last earnings report Capcom said they expect to ship 4M copies by the end of this fiscal year (March 31st) so I guess this is a good start

EDIT

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that worldwide shipments of RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard (RESIDENT EVIL 7), the latest installment in the Resident Evil franchise, for PlayStation®4, Xbox One and Windows PC have surpassed 2.5 million units.

The Resident Evil franchise features survival horror games in which players utilize a variety of weapons and other items to escape terrifying situations. Cumulative sales of the games in the series now total 75 million units* since the first title debuted in 1996. Support from the passionate fan base across the globe even today, more than 20 years later, makes it Capcom's flagship game series. (*As of January 27, 2017)

RESIDENT EVIL 7 is the latest installment, and builds upon the series' roots of fear, exploration and tense atmosphere. The full game is also available to play via the included optional PlayStation®VR Mode for the PS4 version. In order to provide an overwhelming, deeply immersive horror experience, the game's system underwent a dramatic shift from its previous third-person camera to a new first-person perspective. Further, with the new RE ENGINE, a proprietary game engine developed in-house for this title, Capcom has pushed hardware specifications to their limits. As a result, the title garnered attention worldwide, with the demo version exceeding 7.15 million downloads—a record for the series—and the game selling more than 2.5 million units.

As part of Capcom's ongoing efforts to expand the Resident Evil brand beyond the category of games, the newest Hollywood film, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, recorded the film series' largest Japanese box-office opening yet after its December 23, 2016 release, and is slated to open worldwide starting today; additionally, the feature-length CG film RESIDENT EVIL: VENDETTA is scheduled for a May 2017 worldwide release.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

Spinky

heythatsprettygood.gif

Really glad it's doing well, haven't stopped thinking about the game since it released. Capcom should know they dun good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
9M4egnx.gif

Dystify

Basically these 3 facts:
  • 75mill games in the RE series have been sold as of Jan 27.
  • Demo version was downloaded 7.15 million times.
  • 2.5million units of RE7 sold so far.

Well deserved. The game is so, so good. It blows my mind that it was made by modern day Capcom, whose output has been terrible on consoles for a while.

Basically these 3 facts:
  • 75mill games in the RE series have been sold as of Jan 27.
  • Demo version was downloaded 7.15 million times.
  • 2.5million units of RE7 sold so far.

Damn when you combine the game sales with the movie revenue RE is one of the biggest and most successful videogames IPs ever.

SURGEdude

Usually I couldn't give a fuck how many copies a publisher ships. But RE7 seems to have some shortages so it's likely the number sold is fairly predictible based on copies shipped to retailer. Plus there's PC.

carlsojo

Game is an instant classic. The Bakers will probably go down as some of the best and most memorable video game villains ever.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
How many copies are they expecting RE7 to sell?

Congratulations to Capcom and I wish them continued success. Resident Evil is loved by the whole world and it is great of them to turn out another entry with critical and commercial acclaim.

hwy_61

Banned
Even though I'm a big pussy and can't play it, I'm really rooting for RE7.

I hope it sells a ton of copies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really curious what the budget for this one was. I'm thinking it could be a good deal smaller than 6's with multiple campaigns.

Yeah the game must be selling very very well. Even Best Buy is in short supply I believe. Some around me say pick up Feb 1st and others show less than 3 copies available for pick up now.

I havent even had a chance to play it yet but am excited to do so over the weekend!

Jawmuncher

You also have to factor in that RE6 burned people so bad and was such a terrible disappointment that people might be apprehensive about buying the sequel.

I guess. Was just saying that while it's not 4.5 million shipped. The number shipped plus digital sold is probably like 3 million at least.

bidguy

Banned
hopefully this shows them that a survival horror focus actually can sell copies

im so pumped for remake2 now

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They want it to sell 4m by the end of March. I think that's the only number they've made public.

Ah the ol' Fiscal period. I'm expecting it to get really close(3.8million) and still be considered a 'failure' to Capcom.

FingerBang

Briefly, what every paragraph means:

It has SHIPPED 7 (出荷) 2.5 million copies of RE7.

As January 27th (today, in Japan) it has sold 75 Million copies since 1996.

It says bla bla revolutionary using RE Engine, switching to first person.
The demo was downloaded worldwide 7.150.000 times.

Then it says how Bio Hazard Final was successful in December and the new CG movie (Bio Hazard Vendetta) is coming out in May worldwide. The point being, the series is not about games anymore.

Then it says they will continue to make excellent games, that overflow with originality and something like that.

Well guys, RE is back, let's hope Capcom does the same for the other big names. It seems like the dark years of the Japanese industry not being up to the west are ending! :)

EDIT: Sorry, missed the post with the English version.

FelipeMGM

I guess. Was just saying that while it's not 4.5 million shipped. The number shipped plus digital sold is probably like 3 million at least.

This 2.5M number prob includes digital sales already.

Its usually means digital sales + copies shipped to retailers

Top Bottom