• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake Becomes The Fastest Selling Title In The Resident Evil Franchise

GFJsBmsbgAA7GGQ.jpg%3Alarge

Other RE title sales milestones during the same period:
  • Resident Evil 2 - 5.8M
  • Resident Evil: Village - 5.7M
  • Resident Evil 7- 4.8M
  • Resident Evil 3 - 3.6M

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm not surprised. Strong marketing and learning from what worked in 2R and the big mistakes of 3R meant Capcom were in a good position with 4R despite the monumental task of remaking one of the best games of all time. You could guess that if they skipped 3R, 4R might have been as willing to cut big chunks out and make detrimental changes.

The original is still the king in my eyes, but I without a shadow of a doubt got my money's worth.

It's a shame Capcom have squandered some of that good will they've earned by breaking old games and their ridiculous "All mods are cheats" mentality.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
RE4R was GREAT……now if Capcom give us some love for Ace Attorney series and give us AA7 and Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 1&2 I will be very happily…..thank you very much.

Q3 Updates (millions of units)
Resident Evil 2 - 13.60 (up from 13.10), + 500K
Resident Evil Village - 9.40 (up from 8.70), + 700K
Resident Evil 3 - 8.45 (up from 8.05), + 400K
Resident Evil 4 - 6.50 (up from 5.45), +1.05M

There was no quarterly update for Resident Evil 7, it should be updated in Capcoms platinum sellers at a later date.

2aXUJOw.png

* Q4 remaining

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Jz7g.gif
I had the honor to play the 2016 PS4 edition and can confirm it really is the gift that keeps on giving. Some consider it capcoms greatest game ever.

Arachnid

Well deserved. Best RE game to date with only the original RE4 matching it (and RE2make coming close).

I hope this shows Capcom what people want. Give us more third person RE games in mainline. Also, bring back Leon. Dude hasn't been in a new game since 6.

ssringo

I hope this shows Capcom what people want. Give us more third person RE games in mainline. Also, bring back Leon. Dude hasn't been in a new game since 6.
Absolutely agree with the 3rd person but 50/50 on Leon. I love the guy but I kinda want my middle aged Jill game. She deserves better!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That option exists?! Thanks for the info.

Its part of the Winters Expansion. You can prob get it for 20 or less.

Sucked there were no trophies associated with finishing it in 3rd (and also, dont go in expecting the third person to be 1:1 with the same sort of quality as RE2, 3 and 4R. It feels more like a B grade mod than anything else.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Its part of the Winters Expansion. You can prob get it for 20 or less.

Sucked there were no trophies associated with finishing it in 3rd (and also, dont go in expecting the third person to be 1:1 with the same sort of quality as RE2, 3 and 4R. It feels more like a B grade mod than anything else.
I alredy got it for 30€ last year. But other games got priority so I forgot about it. One or 2 weeks ago I decided to play it and got stuck ar the beginning. First person make me sick and I replayed resident evil 2 instead. I will try Village soon, and third person will help me push beyond my bottleneck. Beyond that I will try to go back to first person but I will see how bad the option is.

Matsuchezz

The game is technically really good, but it is really in a league below than The last of Us2, i just played Re 4 Remake and then followed with The remaster and the difference is a great one.
And it's laughable when some say The last of us story is bad when the acting and the story in RE4 is fucking rubbish!
Anyways the game is great fun.
I played the original on the Cube and left me with the same feeling.

Last edited:

ssringo

And it's laughable when some say The last of us story is bad when the acting and the story in RE4 is fucking rubbish!
TLoU is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. Resident Evil...not so much. They're going for different things with their stories and how they're portrayed.

Also, I'll take any mainline RE over either TLoU. Yeah, even the ones people think are bad. Schlock is more fun than serious.

Matsuchezz

TLoU is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. Resident Evil...not so much. They're going for different things with their stories and how they're portrayed.

Also, I'll take any mainline RE over either TLoU. Yeah, even the ones people think are bad. Schlock is more fun than serious.
I think Resident Evil wanted to be like that, but Capcom is not capable enough to do it the way ND did it. Yes, they are different, but for example The order 1886 werewolves, felt more serious than RE8 regarding werewolves, in RE8 they are just there and i don't remember why, the thing about Re is that they are not good on the whys and hows, the plot is trash, the acting is subpar and the story is the same. Just the RE8 started to go after the supernatural, but the universe is grounded in reality at some extent with the umbrella corporation experiments.
I think RE games are so different because Japanese culture is so different, and it shows even on the motion capture sessions, Japanese people behavior is so different to western people, and they fail to really grasp how western people behave and talk.
RE4 is the best RE game, i have not played RE3 remake, but RE2 Remake it's really good too.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
And it will stay that way because no remake of RE5 or RE6 will ever sell just as good

kiphalfton

The game is technically really good, but it is really in a league below than The last of Us2, i just played Re 4 Remake and then followed with The remaster and the difference is a great one.

Don't think I've ever heard anybody use RE4 as the gold standard, when it comes to story telling, so not sure why you're comparing the two...

It's all relative.

Alan Wake

Amazing game. They took a great game and made it even better. My GOTY. Those remake kings.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Excuse me, the original RE4 is one of the most recited games of all time and its characters well know and loved. Just because it's not all serious and drama doesn't mean it's not good. It was funny and campy, that is all.
And no, it was not "so bad it's good". There are games with far worse writing all around and yet we don’t talk about or remember anything about them.

RE4 writing was genius.

Last edited:

Pelao

Well deserved.
The game is a masterpiece. I was never a fan of the original RE4 and I loved this remake, to the point where I was doing multiple runs per day.
That I can now also play it in VR makes it one of my favorite games of all time.

The Last of Us is like a mediocre hit cable TV Show like The Walking Dead while Resident Evil 4 (classic) is like a beloved B-Horror classic like Evil Dead 2. The remake is like a better produced made-for-TV version with its edge and a lot of its personality lost.

Last edited:

Diddy X

I'm yet to play it, I tried the demo and my PC could 't handle it properly at 4k :messenger_angry:, I can wait tho until I renew my PC in 1 or 2 years with the rtx5000 series, not like I don't have plenty of great games yet to be played.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Loved it. Played through it 5(?) times on launch to 100% it on Steam; then Separate Ways when it came out.

I played the OG on PS2 when it released and multiple times over the years, so my opinion is bulletproof when I say it's better-playing than the OG (which I'll always love).

Matsuchezz

The Last of Us is like a mediocre hit cable TV Show like The Walking Dead while Resident Evil 4 (classic) is like a beloved B-Horror classic like Evil Dead 2. The remake is like a better produced made-for-TV version with its edge and a lot of its personality lost.
ouch! I hit some sensitive nerves, Did you hurt yourself?

Shin-Ra

I think I put 4-5 hours into the Chainsaw demo alone.

+130hrs in the full game and Seperate Ways.

PSVR2 and PS5 Pro may yet add a few dozen more hours played.

Top Bottom