• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Don't Expect Another Deus Ex Game Anytime Soon, EM Working on New TR/GotG

NeoRaider

There won't be another big Deus Ex game in the foreseeable future.

Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus, Eurogamer understands.

This, despite Mankind Divided leaving the series with a number of hanging story threads. These plot points were intended to be resolved in a third game, which would also complete the trilogy of Deus Ex titles begun by predecessor Human Revolution.

Much of this remaining story was once intended for Mankind Divided, Eurogamer has heard, until the game grew too large in scope and had to be curtailed. (Even with this, Mankind Divided's development took five years). It's unclear if this untold story will now be left unresolved - or tied up in another medium, such as a graphic novel.

The bulk of Deux Ex studio Eidos Montreal is currently at work on the next Tomb Raider, the existence of which leaked online last November when someone left a "Shadows of the Tomb Raider" PowerPoint presentation open on the Montreal subway. There's no word yet on when this might launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Much of this remaining story was once intended for Mankind Divided, Eurogamer has heard, until the game grew too large in scope and had to be curtailed.

Pretty shocking really, considering how small in scale the game feels compared to Human Revolution. When I reflect back on my time with the game, it feels like 80% of it was spent in Prague.

i haven't beaten Mankind Divided, but this Prague hub level is amazing. In some ways I like this even more than Human Revolution. It feels more like the classic first game.

to hear that they are now going to waste their talent on marvel games and tomb raider is disappointing. i'd love another deus ex. i get that the disappointing sales will leave it on hiatus but I hope it's not for too long.

That's pretty tragic - the weakest point of Mankind Divided was that it felt like the first half of a much larger game.
Which for me was a pretty big turn-off.*

Prague sounded amazing, but to near the narrative really felt like a poorly realised middle chapter or even first chapter reset, was very unappealing.

*I also did not pick HR up at launch, I got the PC Directors Cut iirc.

Kinda expected this, but still, ouch.
SE sabotaged Mankind Divided with the shit they pulled, yet despite that it was still a great game.

Chumley

Banned
There it is.

Took 5 fucking years for MD and HR did well. I'm guessing it'll be at least 7 years for Deus Ex 5 now.

Sigh. I really loved MD too.

lcap

giphy.gif

Man, that's a bummer, kinda feared for it when they announced the Marvel thing.

I got really excited with the whole Deus Ex Universe but it looks like that's sinking down the drain. :/

Acosta

Tragic... with all the flaws, Mankind was pretty great and a exciting beginning for a big Deus Ex history.

They have invested all that money, time and talent in a IP and they are going to throw it out the window for licensed stuff...

"While we are still working on expanding the Deus Ex Universe, along with creating new content and updates for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, we're also devoting our talents towards working with Crystal Dynamics and Marvel on The Avengers project."

I wonder what their idea of "still working on" entails, but I do hope they won't abandon the franchise. It does seem kinda vague answer, and I'd expect a more firm denial if they were actually still developing a new DX title. I hate it when publishers buy IP rights to my favorite franchises, and then just hold them hostage when they can't actually make a good game out of it.

Ahiko

Neo Member
Oh man this sucks... Deus ex: HR is amongst my favorite games of all time. Mankind divided had a lackluster story, but was still an amazing game. Especially the side quests were top notch!

Shame, since I don't like the rebooted tomb raider at all. Hopefully their marvel game will be awesome.

Jonnax

Square Enix chasing that money.

I'd not be too angry except I paid full price for Mankind Divided that very clearly was sliced in two.

And again, it only takes an underwhelming and mismanaged sequel to put the entire franchise in limbo. Sigh...
Well, that does mean the chance of the third game being miles better was very slim anyway.

Nothing of value is lost imo. Here's hoping the inevitable reboot goes to a better developer.

But how many developers want to take an IP with that kind of pedigree burden?

Pretty sure Arkane would like to give it a go.

Karu

I grow tired of Marvel. Such a bummer other original videogame franchises have to suffer. If it is just tie-in shovelware it at least doesn't eat into other AAA-properties' budget.

But, and that's a huge but, since Mankind Divided didn't sell, the argument is certainly not on my side on this one.

Well, this is unfortunate.

Man, I remember Deus Ex Human Revolution being a really big deal when it first came out. It's pretty sad to see this series thrown back into limbo afterwards.

netBuff

I wonder what their idea of "still working on" entails, but I do hope they won't abandon the franchise. It does seem kinda vague answer, and I'd expect a more firm denial if they were actually still developing a new DX title. I hate it when publishers buy IP rights to my favorite franchises, and then just hold them hostage when they can't actually make a good game out of it.

There's still DLC due soon. This doesn't sound like they are working on a sequel.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Perhaps it'll do the series good, Deus Ex VR in another 5-6 years would be mind-blowing
More interesting is another Developer is working on a Tomb Raider game something that hasn't happened in nearly 2 decades

I grow tired of Marvel. Such a bummer other original videogame franchises have to suffer. If it is just tie-in shovelware it at least doesn't eat into other AAA-properties' budget.

But, and that's a huge but, since Mankind Divided didn't sell, the argument is certainly not on my side on this one.

Marvel wants their console/PC videogames to be big affairs just like their films. No more shovelware. Insomniac, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal...they are not playing around when choosing developers to work on their IPs now.

Movie tie-in shovelwares exist in mobile games. Marvel is doing AAA games that are it's own thing.

Kade

That's upsetting. Mankind Divided was great and I'd rather see another mainline Deus Ex game than a licensed Marvel game or Tomb Raider game.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Deus Ex and Tomb Raider sales flop tell that SE is a B-tier publisher now,
Both are pretty decent game but bomba

Square Enix chasing that money.

I'd not be too angry except I paid full price for Mankind Divided that very clearly was sliced in two.
Me too.

Suppose DX can now get add to the list of games with unfinished stories never to be completed along side Half Life and Megaman Legends.

Akai__

I can only blame Square Enix for the bullshit that Deus Ex had to endure.

Splitting the game into 2 parts, Augment your Pre-Order marketing, forcing devs to make a microtransaction mode that nobody is playing and spending a stupid amount of money for other marketing, thus requiring the game selling 4 million copies to break even.

Already saw it coming, after the Marvel reveal.

giapel

I really wanted to like the latest Deus Ex but it just wasn't a strong entry. I preferred Human Revolutions a lot more. in that sense, I'm not bothered if Deus Ex takes a big break.

Didn't they say Montreal was working on Hitman at one point too? Hard to take Square Enix's grand plans seriously after that fell through.

Top Bottom