• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Square Enix's second Marvel game is Guardians of the Galaxy

GrizzNKev

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Back at Eidos Montreal, a small team is currently aiding Crystal Dynamics' Avengers project and, Eurogamer has heard, in the early stages of production on the second Marvel game based around Guardians of the Galaxy. This project will be lead by Eidos Montreal.

If true, I wonder if it'll be connected to the Telltale game in any way. Weird have two vastly different devs working on the same IP.

Tizoc

Would be lame if so, wondr why marvel is pushing guardians so much like this?
Still if the gameplay is good i'd get it

Neoxon

Color me hyped if this is true. And I doubt that Telltale's Guardians will be connected to Square-Enix's in terms of continuity. That'd be like asking if MvCI would be connected to the SE Avengers game.

That being said, I hope that Square-Enix stay as far away from the Bendis run as humanly possible (if this is true). I'll accept a mix of the 2008/DnA run as well as some movie stuff, but little-to-no Bendis. I'll wait for Duggan's run of Guardians to happen before I pass final judgement on that, though I was hoping that Loveness & Pérez would do GotG instead (I love their current run of Nova).

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Fuck this shit I want Deus Ex

tumblr_n18ao08Idv1s4juazo3_250.gif

bigol

Sorry to bring bad news

There won't be another big Deus Ex game in the foreseeable future.

Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus, Eurogamer understands.

Neoxon

Because the movie was a huge hit & Vol. 2 will only propel the franchise to greater heights if James Gunn & Co. deliver like they did last time. They're basically household names, now.

Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up.

So we are not getting a proper ending for Deus Ex anytime soon.

Very, very disappointing. :(

It's what happens when a AAA game underperforms unfortunately. If GotG sells 8 million copies we probably won't see DE return anytime soon.

If people don't flock to Prey, I could see trouble on the horizon for the immersive sim.

Mindwipe

Yes, I wonder why Marvel are pushing their billion dollar grossing franchise (and one that has better margins than Avengers due to lower paid actors) that will shortly become a two billion dollar grossing franchise.

Is there any talk on whether all of this (Telltale's GotG, the Square Enix games, and Sony's Spider-Man) are to be part of a "MVU" (Marvel Videogame Universe) or should we expect these all to be completely separate/self-contained?

robotrock

Banned
Is there any talk on whether all of this (Telltale's GotG, the Square Enix games, and Sony's Spider-Man) are to be part of a "MVU" (Marvel Videogame Universe) or should we expect these all to be completely separate/self-contained?
They are probably contained by publisher. Doubt think you'd see sonys spidey in the Square universe

GrizzNKev

Banned

It would be far too difficult to align different publishers under a single project or continuity - they're market competitors, and there isn't any kind of profit-sharing deal here. They're just working with IP licenses. However, it is possible that SE themselves could do an MVU starting with Avengers.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

TellTale & Sony's game are each their own thing.

Square's games are all in one big MGU:

Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come.

KORNdoggy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

If true, I wonder if it'll be connected to the Telltale game in any way. Weird have two vastly different devs working on the same IP.

think of it like the walking dead. that's been licensed to a few vastly different devs that have vastly different standards and gameplay. plus i'd imagine telltale have secured the comic license, not the movie one, much like the walking dead?

They are probably contained by publisher. Doubt think you'd see sonys spidey in the Square universe

That's what I expected, though I do wish a shared universe would be possible. Probably way too much of an undertaking with several different publishers licensing though. But I suppose Square's games will probably be linked, and I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale made more Marvel games that shared a universe with their GotG game, so we'll see some shared worlds if not "the one" I would hope for.

It would be far too difficult to align different publishers under a single project or continuity - they're market competitors, and there isn't any kind of profit-sharing deal here. They're just working with IP licenses. However, it is possible that SE themselves could do an MVU starting with Avengers.

If Marvel really wanted to be hands on and shape the general, overall narrative it would technically be possible, though herculean. But I think they're more concerned with quality than trying to do the MCU feat a second time but harder.

TellTale & Sony's game are each their own thing.

Square's games are all in one big MGU:

Gotcha.

Shredderi

Yeah even though DE:MD is a quality title, it's just too little too late. It doesn't have the graphical sheen to it that other big games have and it came too late after the previous game, losing relevancy. I'm saddened that we won't see other original IPs from these talented guys anytime soon. I'm just so disinterested in marvel properties as games. That doesn't mean people who want these games shouldn't have them, but it's a personal disappointment. Gonna day one Prey (if it's good) just to support the immersive sim genre since it has taken a bit of a hit recently with lacklustre sales of DH2 and MD.

Top Bottom