• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Square Enix's second Marvel game is Guardians of the Galaxy

arcticice

how would one make an Avengers game where we are not literally killing hundreds of enemies without much of a problem?

I am pretty sure Avengers game is going to turn out something like Lego Avengers

the sad thing about this is that this shit will be hugely successful, and they will continue throwing marvel games at eidos montreal.

i think the franchise is officially buried with this partnership. there's no way the marvel games won't be a success with how big the brand is at the moment.

hopefully square enix acquires another company to work on this stuff in the future or shifts more to crystal dynamics so we can get another deus ex one day.

edit: meant to post in deus ex thread lol. my bad. eh it's related anyways.

robotrock

Banned
Batman doesnt have any superpowers, so you have to engage in hand to hand combat and use his gadgets, but i dont see that happening with the Avenger.

You can one shot everyone
dumbass iron man stun gun that totally feels just like a gun. That's my bet

vivekTO

Question to all!
Is something based upon Comicbooks will never be considered a "NEW IP" with respect to gaming.

Tizoc

Batman doesnt have any superpowers, so you have to engage in hand to hand combat and use his gadgets, but i dont see that happening with the Avenger.

You can one shot everyone
This is 2017
Nobody gives a fuck about superpowers
Unless it is jojo....or one piece....or hunter x hunter
Fact of matter it is, it dosnt matter what powers they do or do not have, with enough creativity any action game be made based on a comic book character
And hey it aint like there werent ironman or avengers games before

Kouichi

YES

This is exactly the Marvel game I wanted out of Eidos Montreal. As much as I'm excited for the Telltale game, I've been hoping one of these deals would lead to be a more substantial GOTG game, and Eidos is definitely a great fit for that.

- imagine Knowhere and Xandar hub world,
- get side mission to locate ancient artifact or do some bounties.
- walk around in your space ship and customize them.
- some space flight shooter mission
- increase friendship with your teammate and get their personal story quest

the more I think about it, the more I want this game.

Neoxon

Whats the appeal of guardians anyways? lame old music and dad jokes?

Why does anyone want this?
FhTbKZ9.gif

arcticice

This is 2017
Nobody gives a fuck about superpowers
Unless it is jojo....or one piece....or hunter x hunter
Fact of matter it is, it dosnt matter what powers they do or do not have, with enough creativity any action game be made based on a comic book character
And hey it aint like there werent ironman or avengers games before

Iron Man is OP and so are the rest of the Avengers. Well... apart from the Black Widow and Hawkeye. As i said, the game would definitely be made, but i don't see it differing much from Lego Avengers game.

Neoxon

Dude why did you edit this? It had useful info man. I was gonna go read up on the 2008 guardians run to get excited for the new game, as the movie did nothing for me.
I missed a huge opportunity to use that Ms. Marvel gif.

That said, go read the 2008 run. It's straight-up fantastic, & was what brought me back to comics. I believe it was reprinted alongside the release of GotG Vol. 1 (since it was what inspired the movie).

CHC

Good news as long as it's fun. Please no dark "who am I" sob story thing a la Tomb Raider or Deus Ex, please. Just keep it light.

robotrock

Banned
Good news as long as it's fun. Please no dark "who am I" sob story thing a la Tomb Raider or Deus Ex, please. Just keep it light.
The Deus Ex "who am I" story was gonna go to some fucking places dude, which were hinted at in MD. The idea that the series won't continue is a crime.

That said, go read the 2008 run. It's straight-up fantastic, & was what brought me back to comics. I believe it was reprinted alongside the release of GotG Vol. 1 (since it was what inspired the movie).

As a first timer you might as well stick with Bendis' run so you know what your getting yourself into. That era of Guardians hardly exists now.

bunkitz

Don't care about Deus Ex, so I'm good with it being put on ice. Guardians is a weird choice, though, seeing as Marvel already has a Guardians game in the works. It's the perfect opportunity to make a game for another property. But hey, I'm game. The more AAA Marvel games, the better.

Although, to be fair, I'm not exactly going to be satisfied with an adventure game for Guardians of the Galaxy, so yeah. I guess this is great. Would've been preferable if Telltales simply chose a different franchise, I suppose.

Sure hope whatever it is won't end up being in first-person, though. I already prefer third-person games over first-person games in general, but more so when it's for a superhero franchise. I get the immersion factor with the first-person view, but I wanna see Spider-Man and Batman and whoever the hell else doing all the cool shit they'll be doing.

Curious, though, that so far, aside from Spider-Man, the games in development are all team-based. Infinite too, in a way, since it's going to be 2 vs. 2.

robotrock

Banned

As a first timer you might as well stick with Bendis' run so you know what your getting yourself into. That era of Guardians hardly exists now.
I'll check these out

That's bittersweet. I'm hyped for Guardians, but I'm kinda sad that it may come at the cost of Deus Ex.
This is the wrong way to think of it. Square Enix didn't pursue and 'get' the Marvel license because their franchises were doing well but this is just a bit better, they had a franchise that they considered to be failing so this seemed like the best decision.

Deux Ex Mankind Divided was one of my favourite games of last year but it heavily under-performed and its unlikely SE would have just made another one if they couldn't do something else.

Top Bottom