• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's stock falls by 30%

Fabieter

Monolithsoft was created when Square didn't want to do Xenogears 2 (or whatever it would be called; Xenogears is actually part 5).

No one uses microsoft store, so MS isn't getting money from that.

We had people saying the steam numbers are "low" because so many people are on pc gamepass. What is it? It seems it depends on what topic. Ms said that pc gamepass is growing significantly more than xbox gamepass. So yea saying ms is last place in console business while dismissing pc is shortsighted to excuse them buying up the industry.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m nearing the end of 16 this week and I find the game fantastic but with a good chunk of flaws. All things FF17 could easily fix.

There’s still so many ways they can approach how to make the franchise super relevant like it once was. Everyone has a theory . “Make it turn based again.” “Go back to FF12s Ivalice.” “Do this do that”

If I were them I’d invest in 3 new franchises but tell each team whoever makes the best game will get the chance to then do FF17 with their game as a base. Let them take creative risks on a smaller budget scale. Take a FF16 budget and split it 3 ways. This could lead to the spark being found.

I personally would like to see them make a FF where I can make my own lead character like in FF15s character creator. Then learn from games like BG3 on creative quests with weight to them. Throw in combat that melds something like sea of stars with FF7 remake, and for the love of god give us a hard mode from the jump. Give us visually changing gear like FF stranger of paradise. Lastly, learn that the game story, world, and lore cannot keep being dumped into books to read in game. Make it work straight up. Also, yes, people like to play as other characters from the team.

That’s just one set of ideas. I think a team like monolith with SE money would bring the franchise back to expectations for fans and the money guys .

Dream-Knife

Banned
We had people saying the steam numbers are "low" because so many people are on pc gamepass. What is it? It seems it depends on what topic. Ms said that pc gamepass is growing significantly more than xbox gamepass. So yea saying ms is last place in console business while dismissing pc is shortsighted to excuse them buying up the industry.
I don't know a single person who uses pc game pass, but who knows.

Things I worry about is MS taking over Steam, and Apple destroying the market with their digital concentration camp. Games being played on windows isn't really propelling microsoft to a monopoly.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Monolithsoft was created when Square didn't want to do Xenogears 2 (or whatever it would be called; Xenogears is actually part 5).
It's a bit more complicated then that. Xenogears originally was going to be FF7 and at the time they had 2 pitches. FF7 as we know it and Xenogears. Square wanted to fund FF more then Xenogears so Takahashi packed up shop went to Namco and we got Xenosaga, then after Xenosaga 3 the same thing basically happened and now we have Xenoblade.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's a bit more complicated then that. Xenogears originally was going to be FF7 and at the time they had 2 pitches. FF7 as we know it and Xenogears. Square wanted to fund FF more then Xenogears so Takahashi packed up shop went to Namco and we got Xenosaga, then after Xenosaga 3 the same thing basically happened and now we have Xenoblade.
No. Xenogears was proposed as either a sequel to Chrono Trigger or as FF7. It was viewed as too dark to be FF7, and the chrono trigger thing fell through (this is why Lucia is in the village). Xenogears released and square didn't want to go further, so they left to form Motholithsoft.

Xenosaga was supposed to be 6 games but it was cut to just 3. Sales were poor and Bamco ended up selling the company to Nintendo.

Xenoblade 1 wasn't supposed to be a Xeno game, it was named that in Takahashi's honor for his past work.

Xenoblade 2 is really the only modern Xeno game.

Klosshufvud

SE is so deluded and out of touch. They think the FF brand is gold and they think whatever they shit out will just be loved by the masses. The red flags for FF16 were there years before launch. It simply wasn't garnering any attention with the oldschool fans. In fact, in every interview, the producers were more interested in talking about how the game appeals to non-FF fans first and foremost. Underwhelming visual presentation, in combination with a story that didn't seem that intriguing in trailers in combination with seemingly spammy solo player gameplay just turned people off I guess. Can't blame them. Personally I lost interest when I saw the game was running 720p in performance mode.

Fabieter

I don't know a single person who uses pc game pass, but who knows.

Things I worry about is MS taking over Steam, and Apple destroying the market with their digital concentration camp. Games being played on windows isn't really propelling microsoft to a monopoly.

We have ms officially state that pc gamepass is growing faster than console numbers. We can't handpicked what we believe from phil and Co. If he isn't lying and why would he in this case than regulators should absolutely put pc into the mix somehow. It's stupid to just look into consoles in this case.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Even Krafton laughed when they saw SE sales expectations

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFVIII is damn hard dude what are you saying?

I beat like three times. Do you even beat the missions in that game?

Wat. FFVIII might be the easiest one lol I and besides I didnt even mention it. You can abise junctions and refinement. I agree FFXVI is waaaay too easy (along with many other flaws) but unfortunately that flaw is present in many FF games. I would recommend playing New Threat mod for FFVII, its glorious!

They really screwed themselves over, because they HAVE to finish it now that they started... And part 1 didnt sell as well as they had hoped.

Imagine if they got part 2 out but not part 3; the FF version of HL3.

Squeenix has been on extremely poor footing for a very, very long time. Well over a decade - probably closer to two.
Well, there is a real chance of not getting a part 3. Like, realistically, when P3 is supposed to launch? In 2028?

Kakax11

Banned
Bring back Wada

qqeinqngzpj71.jpg

Dream-Knife

Banned
We have ms officially state that pc gamepass is growing faster than console numbers. We can't handpicked what we believe from phil and Co. If he isn't lying and why would he in this case than regulators should absolutely put pc into the mix somehow. It's stupid to just look into consoles in this case.
And how fast is console gamepass growing?

Of course MS would paint anything in a good light for their investors.

MS is failing gaming and their only hope is to make Azure the only place for gaming. That is failing.

Fabieter

MS is failing gaming and their only hope is to make Azure the only place for gaming. That is failing.

While I disagree than we should stop with the excuses if the game is falling short on steam that gamepass pc is doing numbers for them like everyone did the last few years. ( well I still thinks it's kinda big and regulators should take notes) but you can't have it both ways really.

yurinka

We have ms officially state that pc gamepass is growing faster than console numbers.
As a whole -not console or PC only- Gamepass did stop growing, got stuck on 25M during some time and then MS stopped reporting its subs numbers. Which probably means it continues stuck or decreased.

Some time later they did remove the shortcuts to get GP way cheaper and increased the prices. Pretty likely to increase revenue at the cost of some subbers that weren't paying very little or almost anything.

At the end what counts for them is revenue and profitability. The amount of subbers is only an ego thing.

They also tried to artificially bloat the Azure numbers via GPU's cloud gaming, but according to MS almost nobody is interested on cloud gaming.

So maybe with the recent pricing changes they wanted to get rid of these artificial numbers to focus on users who really pay their full subs.

They really screwed themselves over, because they HAVE to finish it now that they started... And part 1 didnt sell as well as they had hoped.
Well, there is a real chance of not getting a part 3. Like, realistically, when P3 is supposed to launch? In 2028?

FFVR part 1 had great launch window sales, it was back then the fastest selling PS4 exclusive. That's all we know. As usual pretty likely they had too high expectations, but the game performed very well and continued to work in the 2nd one. There's a lot of hype for the sequel, which is almost here, which pretty likely will perform well too.

So yes, they'll obviously release the 3rd one. Nothing leads to think there won't be a 3rd one.

FFVR1 released in April 2020, 2 will release early 2024 and I assume that 3 will release in 2028, yes. Pretty likely as a crossgen PS5/PS6 game.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's a pretty big drop. I think they should bring Sakaguchi back.

K2D

Banned
Final Flop XVI
Here
That's the aftermath of those 7 Forspoken and 33 FF16 copies they could have sold on Xbox.
We
The game sucked
Go
They'll be looking for Phil's cheque book to help out too.
Again
Oh noes, i hope the development or the remilk part 2 is not in danger because of that...
FF16 was a turd

8KcLSZ3.jpg

iQuasarLV

Sorry, but FF16 combat is shallow for too long. My friend and I put in a serious weekend and just were burned out on the game by the time the mechanics showed up.

For a game that was marketing on how it was modernizing for a new generation of gamers they took a solid IBS shit streak on the bed. /rant

As for the stock SE was banking on two things this year, NFTs and FF16. Neither is getting a ROI so they're screwed convincing investors to invest in anything but FF14 which SE is reluctantly admitting is making more money than anything else they are developing.

Mister Wolf

Sorry, but FF16 combat is shallow for too long. My friend and I put in a serious weekend and just were burned out on the game by the time the mechanics showed up.

For a game that was marketing on how it was modernizing for a new generation of gamers they took a solid IBS shit streak on the bed. /rant

As for the stock SE was banking on two things this year, NFTs and FF16. Neither is getting a ROI so they're screwed convincing investors to invest in anything but FF14 which SE is reluctantly admitting is making more money than anything else they are developing.

FF16 is what Square thinks us westerners want from a RPG. It's condescending. What we really want from an RPG is Baldur's Gate 3.

Looks like rofif rofif didn't shill enough for Forspoken. Come on man, I thought this game was amazing? Square probably ran out of money to bribe their Forspoken fans.

On a serious note - I don't get why Sony still hasn't bought them yet.

Last edited:
It seems this backroom partnership with Sony that sees many Final Fantasy games become exclusive to PlayStation is a bad mistake for Square Enix. Their games continually miss sales targets, Square Enix stock plummets (seems to happen every generation), and Sony drops a bag of money to make next Final Fantasy installment exclusive. A destructive cycle.

Gambit2483

Square Enix should sell the Xenogears IP to Nintendo so Monolith Soft can have it back.
Yea, I just don't see SE selling any Japanese IP...ever.

They only sold IP in the past because it was "western dog crap" that they couldn't profit off of like they wanted.

Puscifer

Square Enix and inept decisions and expectations?

Name more iconic duo.

That company is living on goodwill from Final Fantasy fans and Final Fantasy XIV.
Final Fantasy 7* fans

The following around that game is fucking cult like, when there's other FF games after are just as good people will still find a way to say it doesn't compare to it, even though 6 is arguably worth a remake more than 7 to bring it to new audiences

Reactions: K2D

Fake

Wat. FFVIII might be the easiest one lol I and besides I didnt even mention it. You can abise junctions and refinement. I agree FFXVI is waaaay too easy (along with many other flaws) but unfortunately that flaw is present in many FF games. I would recommend playing New Threat mod for FFVII, its glorious!

I talking about FFXIII. Sry I not made that clear.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I’m nearing the end of 16 this week and I find the game fantastic but with a good chunk of flaws. All things FF17 could easily fix.

There’s still so many ways they can approach how to make the franchise super relevant like it once was. Everyone has a theory . “Make it turn based again.” “Go back to FF12s Ivalice.” “Do this do that”

If I were them I’d invest in 3 new franchises but tell each team whoever makes the best game will get the chance to then do FF17 with their game as a base. Let them take creative risks on a smaller budget scale. Take a FF16 budget and split it 3 ways. This could lead to the spark being found.

I personally would like to see them make a FF where I can make my own lead character like in FF15s character creator. Then learn from games like BG3 on creative quests with weight to them. Throw in combat that melds something like sea of stars with FF7 remake, and for the love of god give us a hard mode from the jump. Give us visually changing gear like FF stranger of paradise. Lastly, learn that the game story, world, and lore cannot keep being dumped into books to read in game. Make it work straight up. Also, yes, people like to play as other characters from the team.

That’s just one set of ideas. I think a team like monolith with SE money would bring the franchise back to expectations for fans and the money guys .

FFXVI is way too streamlined and simple. It adds basically nothing in terms of quest design, RPG mechanics and overall immersion. Having control over only one character is another huge regression over FFVII R for example.

FFXVI actually feels like a more beautiful, higher budget but neutered version of Stranger of Paradise. This game actually has it all; a robust gear and job system, challenge, different weapons with different move sets etc. Everything I wanted to see in FFXVI. Looking past the horrible visuals I like SoP more.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks like rofif rofif didn't shill enough for Forspoken. Come on man, I thought this game was amazing? Square probably ran out of money to bribe their Forspoken fans.

On a serious note - I don't get why Sony still hasn't bought them yet.
Honestly it's sad.
We had good, new IP, single player games this year. This and Immortals... and nobody cared.
one was memed for no reason and other might as well not exist. These are good games. This is what everyone is screaming for. Single player AAA games like the old days

K2D

Banned
I didn't like it. Problem with that?

No I don't have a problem with that. You're probably even warranted for disliking it.

What I do have a problem with is drive-by posting, hyperbole and the shit-piling going on in here. For a game that generally is well recieved by players.

Last edited:

Reallink

Because its easy bait to blame sony and FFXVI

If 16 or Remake had been multiplatform during the initial hype cycle where games earn 80% of their lifetime revenue, and had done even close to Elden Ring numbers, it would have gone a long way to offsetting their other losses. Hell even a couple extra million copies would have been a big boone. I don't expect Sony's paying anywhere close to $150 million for these exclusivity contracts (look up how much Nintendo paid for MH Rise). Releasing this shit years later sells a fraction of a fraction of what it would have at launch. The Sony contracts are undeniably harming Square and their games.

Last edited:

stn

Its a shame. I love the hell out of Stranger of Paradise, and FF16. Valkyrie Elysium was also really solid, as was the most recent Star Ocean. I even want to buy Forspoken at some point.

Roxkis_ii

Oh look SE stock is down, let me take a moment to shit on FF16, because that game doing bad is surely why their stock is down.

-22% MMO and -18% mobile revenue is their biggest problem, idk why there is no mention of that in the article.

Oh, looks like ff16 has nothing to do with it. 🤡

Man I wonder how mad people are going to be when the find out the next Final fantasy isn't turned based.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They should have released FFXVI on PC alongside PS5. The performance issues on PS5 probably convinced a lot of people to wait it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom