• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen Poor Release Reception made CI Games stock Fall 18% | Game Releases with "Mixed" Steam Reviews

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t understand why anyone would have put major stock in this game. The original was the first major “we have dark souls at home” type of game and I don’t think the studio has done anything to go way beyond that to get to the top tier.

Thief1987

I don’t understand why they thought remaking a mediocre game nobody cared about was a good idea in the first place.

Lords of the Fallen got panned the first time. Try something else for gods sake.
It's not a remake of the first game, it's absolutely different game just with the same name.

I don’t understand why they thought remaking a mediocre game nobody cared about was a good idea in the first place.

Lords of the Fallen got panned the first time. Try something else for gods sake.
It's not a remake my guy. It is a reboot with same name and plays and feels much differently

FeralEcho

good, next time optimize your U$70 game

Also

What is up with this logic ? only From can release souls games now ? From fanboys really need to stop sucking Froms dick, Jesus, there is a lot of great and amazing souls-like out there.
Yup,agree,weird logic by some people,Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time but I welcome and apreciate any dev that wants to take a spin on the souls formula.Playing Lies of P at the moment and it's one of my favourite games this gen.It is superb so it CAN be done.Nevermind how many amazing 2d soulslike we've gotten over the years.That mentality that only FROM can make something as good is pure fanboy shit.

No negative PC based reviewers review bombing because they don't like the performance.

Actual fans of this genre are loving it.
I got my review copy yesterday on PC. Couldn't play it cause I had family over but I am about to jump in.

Nothing will ever beat Bloodborne, Dark Souls Trilogy and Elden Ring though.

StereoVsn

It's not a remake my guy. It is a reboot with same name and plays and feels much differently
That’s even dumber then. Previous title was mediocre. That IP wasn’t something to save or treasure.

All they did is engineer confusion as a few publications with previews mentioned remake.
The decision tree they led here is truly puzzling, alongside the engine switch and releasing too early in incomplete state.

RZero

Neo Member
How is 1 vs 5 a design flaw? Dark Souls 2 and Nioh did the same too and nobody complained.
Everybody complained about group encounters in Dark Souls 2 vanilla...
Then From released Scholar of the First Sin and made it even worse. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dark souls 2 never had constant 1v5 encounters, don't be hyperbolic.
C'mon, right after leaving Majula and entering Forest of the Fallen Giants the player is greeted by a group encounter... and then, after climbing the ladder, there's another one.
There's the infamous gank behind the iron door leading to the Ruin Sentinels on Lost Bastille...
No Man's Warfs, Iron Keep, The Gutter, Black Gulch, Shaded Woods, Brightsone Cove Tseldora, Shrine of Amana, Undead Crypt, Dragon Shrine, the 3 DLC areas... the game is riddle with gank encounters.

And let's not even talk about the idiotic changes made on Scholar of the First Sin.

As much as I like Dark Souls 2, the game is really flawed on this aspect.

Only thing that will beat them in that category is if Fromsoft makes a Castlevania game in their Souls game formula.
Bloodborne was the closest thing to Castlevania. There was an entire secret level that was basically a castlevania castle.

I hear their next game is going to be pushing more on magic as opposed to the melee combat and is called Spellbound with a 2025 release date. But it's rumors so I wouldn't take it too heart until it happens.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

That’s even dumber then. Previous title was mediocre. That IP wasn’t something to save or treasure.

All they did is engineer confusion as a few publications with previews mentioned remake.
The decision tree they led here is truly puzzling, alongside the engine switch and releasing too early in incomplete state.
I don’t know dude, “Lords of the Fallen” is a pretty metal name to let go to waste.

It’s a soft reboot that takes place 1000 years after the original. Benefit of that is they don’t need to create an entirely new mythos and world. I’ve enjoyed my time with it so far; I’m glad they’ve given it another shot. Hopefully the performance issues and AI bugs are sorted out soon.

You'd be surprised how many morons work at these publications and actually don't understand the differences between remaster, remake and reboots. It's sad, but that's how it is. I can maybe see how one may confuse it as a remake since the name is exactly the same.

Yeah, I think the devs tried too do too much here with unfamiliar game engine. COVID probably didn't help either since the game started development in 2018 that means COVID hit mid development.

Last edited:
Everybody complained about group encounters in Dark Souls 2 vanilla...
Then From released Scholar of the First Sin and made it even worse. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

C'mon, right after leaving Majula and entering Forest of the Fallen Giants the player is greeted by a group encounter... and then, after climbing the ladder, there's another one.
There's the infamous gank behind the iron door leading to the Ruin Sentinels on Lost Bastille...
No Man's Warfs, Iron Keep, The Gutter, Black Gulch, Shaded Woods, Brightsone Cove Tseldora, Shrine of Amana, Undead Crypt, Dragon Shrine, the 3 DLC areas... the game is riddle with gank encounters.

And let's not even talk about the idiotic changes made on Scholar of the First Sin.

As much as I like Dark Souls 2, the game is really flawed on this aspect.
I was not saying DS2 not having the issue you pointed, I said there never was constant 1v5 battle (while it is really common in lords of the fallen). Gank in Dark Souls of course can catch you off guard, but after dying once, you would know to lure and pick them off one by one. In lords of the fallen, a lot of time you are forced to fight 5+ enemies simultaneously, because as of now, the shared agrro between them is insane.

Reallink

Historically, souls likes that aren't from FROm aren't that big of games. Why did they put so much into this? They're seem as cheap imitations that are time wasters.
The claimed budget with marketing is around 45 million USD. Very cheap by modern standards.

Last edited:

N30RYU

Reboot with the same name of a poor received game... they might tought that they would had sell even less with other name so that says it all

That said I don't care about the game or what happen with CI Games, just hope talented ppl land on their feet if they shut down

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
good, next time optimize your U$70 game

Also

What is up with this logic ? only From can release souls games now ? From fanboys really need to stop sucking Froms dick, Jesus, there is a lot of great and amazing souls-like out there.
Agreed. The attitude of people have towards some games is fucking weird.

Games they haven't even played and haven't done so for those same inane reasons.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A game nobody asked for. The first LotF game came out 9 years ago, got meh reviews, didn't sell a lot of copies and CI Games decided it was a good idea to try again in 2023?

Well, either they winged it hoping for success, or any market research that showed do it and make a new game was bogus data.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Steam reviews are much worse. They can’t even make an Xbox version that is acceptable at all.

The game in current state is unacceptable really it seems. It’s going to bomb, probably already did.
Nah it sold over 1 Million costing around 50 millions, it's about to get profitable in a short time.

BTW, I never played DS3 so I was between LoTF and that one, I got DS3 so I could wait until the game gets fixed... I did the right call it seems.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So I read that apparently reviewers got an easier version of this game to play and review. Is that true ?

This should be straight illegal and lawsuit worthy. Imagine someone got a car to review, and then the version you get has half the mileage and worse seats, breaks, etc. Or going to a movie and you have to watch an extra 40 mins of filler and a worse ending.

What in the actual fuck if true

Draugoth

Gold Member
A game nobody asked for. The first LotF game came out 9 years ago, got meh reviews, didn't sell a lot of copies and CI Games decided it was a good idea to try again in 2023?

Well, either they winged it hoping for success, or any market research that showed do it and make a new game was bogus data.

The game sadly had the potential. Inexperience devs got too ambitious.

DragonNCM

The game sadly had the potential. Inexperience devs got too ambitious.
giphy.gif

Played a bit of this tonight on my pc with a 4090, ryzen 9 7050x and 64 gb ddr 5 ram. So far, it's pretty awful.

The game feels sluggish and generic. Hitting enemies feels like hitting something with a piece of paper oh and I played either the dualsense. I refuse to play these types of games with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, doesn't help the fact that when I got into the actual game world after creating a character it immediately crashed to desktop.

Then I loaded back in and used continue snd it spawned me in an area where my character couldn't even move. I had to remake the character to spawn correctly and then it worked.

Absolutely pathetic awful start for a PC user. I played for aboit an hour and then quit. Will try again later, but I got so pissed off because it bored me to tears.

Last edited:

JCK75

Performance issues with unreal engine 5 games is starting to be concerning... It feels like the engine Just isn't me to run Will for this current generation...

StereoVsn

Played a bit of this tonight on my pc with a 4090, ryzen 9 7050x and 64 gb ddr 5 ram. So far, it's pretty awful.

The game feels sluggish and generic. Hitting enemies feels like hitting something with a piece of paper oh and I played either the dualsense. I refuse to play these types of games with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, doesn't help the fact that when I got into the actual game world after creating a character it immediately crashed to desktop.

Then I loaded back in and used continue snd it spawned me in an area where my character couldn't even move. I had to remake the character to spawn correctly and then it worked.

Absolutely pathetic awful start for a PC user. I played for aboit an hour and then quit. Will try again later, but I got so pissed off because it bored me to tears.
Why not refund at this point? Unless it’s GamePass or something?

proandrad

It's the unreal engine in general. Since PS3/360 unreal engine has always had technical issues. Hell, even UE4 engine on current gen consoles have had issues(Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, The Callisto Protocol). The only technically competent unreal engine games are made by Epic. Bring back Id Tech 3 and Source imo.

Top Bottom