• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

DarthPutin

It's wild to me, people are casually ok with FF switching genres from being a menu driven party based JRPG, to a single character action game like god of war or devil may cry, and think, yeah man, this is great, this is the future.
I simply want a good game. I like single player one protagonist action games with fantasy setting, and not going to whine just because it has Final Fantasy in the title. It's asinine.
Can't people accept that Final Fantasy is kind of anthology of games with different characters, settings and gameplay styles (including MMORPG!) and some themes and common elements to tie them together.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The fact that people think "a story driven DMC/Bayo/GoW 50 hour long Game of Thrones Revenge Story focusing on just one character" somehow equates to this being a FF RPG boggles my mind. Are modern gaming tastes so bad now that people are ok with this? Why must every AAA game be in this format, or some open world? I like having a diversity of genres, and the traditional JRPG is it's own genre, and this game is anything but that.
It’s a long running series that has taken big risks and redefined itself constantly. If you just want a traditional 1990s JRPG with better graphics, there are countless other games (including even FF spin-offs) trying to replicate that “FF game I played when I was 12” feeling.

I for one am glad that there’s at least one ambitious, big budget JRPG series that’s not afraid to do it’s own thing instead of just giving fans more of what they’re asking for.

I’ve been a fan of the series since 1994 and I think this game looks fucking awesome. I loved the demo and I don’t give a single shit about it not being traditional. Time for you crybabies to begin the healing process and move on to the countless other games that pander to your tastes.

It's wild to me, people are casually ok with FF switching genres from being a menu driven party based JRPG, to a single character action game like god of war or devil may cry, and think, yeah man, this is great, this is the future.
After playing the demo this just seems like an evolution from FFXV. I don't see anything wrong with this direction.
Imagine wanting this to still be a turn based game like 20 years ago.

It's called evolving.

KàIRóS

It's wild to me how close minded some JRPG players like you are when it comes to changing battle systems.

In case you've been living under a rock, Action RPGs sell way way more than Turn Based RPGs, Witcher 3 has sold 50 Million, Elden Ring sold 20 million in a single year, Diablo IV has apparently sold at least 9 million and it came out this month, in comparison Persona 5 has sold 8 million+ in 7 years, it was a no brainer for SE to take the Action RPG route, it's the best choice for the franchise in the current market.

jm89

Not even slightly. And the "battle system" is a fairly sizeable chunk of a FF game. This is not an inconsequential difference. They went from a party based atb menu driven RPG series, to a single character action game like GoW. It's a different genre of game at that point. The cognitive dissonance on display by people saying this is an RPG, let alone a mainline FF style RPG is breathtaking.
200w.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After playing the demo this just seems like an evolution from FFXV. I don't see anything wrong with this direction.
Imagine wanting this to still be a turn based game like 20 years ago.

It's called evolving.

Have you played Xenoblade 3. That is an awesome combat system for me...and I think Developers can do something awesome if they put the work in, but this is obviously the direction they wanted to go in and it looks like its going to pay off.

It’s a long running series that has taken big risks and redefined itself constantly. If you just want a traditional 1990s JRPG with better graphics, there are countless other games (including even FF spin-offs) trying to replicate that “FF game I played when I was 12” feeling.

I for one am glad that there’s at least one ambitious, big budget JRPG series that’s not afraid to do it’s own thing instead of just giving fans more of what they’re asking for.

I’ve been a fan of the series since 1994 and I think this game looks fucking awesome. I loved the demo and I don’t give a single shit about it not being traditional. Time for you crybabies to begin the healing process and move on to the countless other games that pander to your tastes.
I could have lived with a FF7R approach, but instead they just simply went full GoW instead.

Teslerum

The game IS replicating what I was feeling when I was playing FF Tactics and Vagrant Story at 12. (Apart from replicating large scale summon stuff like in FF9 for example (Alexander).

So it actually applies for me. 😝

Last edited:

vkbest

It's wild to me how close minded some JRPG players like you are when it comes to changing battle systems.

In case you've been living under a rock, Action RPGs sell way way more than Turn Based RPGs, Witcher 3 has sold 50 Million, Elden Ring sold 20 million in a single year, Diablo IV has apparently sold at least 9 million and it came out this month, in comparison Persona 5 has sold 8 million+ in 7 years, it was a no brainer for SE to take the Action RPG route, it's the best choice for the franchise in the current market.
Why are you comparing with Persona instead Pokemon? lol

If you only speak about sales, why the last Yakuza is the best sold? They were from action in real time to turn based.

I mean, you simply are comparing super AAA with modest JRPG games. Persona 5 is not a $100 game, probably is like 5 or 6x less.

Have you played Xenoblade 3. That is an awesome combat system for me...and I think Developers can do something awesome if they put the work in, but this is obviously the direction they wanted to go in and it looks like its going to pay off.
No JRPG peaks on its first hour. Speaking on their combat system.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Because they assembled the right team to make this type of game. They went all out on it, fully dedicated the production to achieve its vision.

It’s ok to want something else, that happens with every FF release because they are all different one way or another. But I can tell some of the people who wanted something entirely different hoped SE would half ass it like they do too often, and can’t help themselves but be bitter about the fact that SE didn’t half ass it one bit.

Last edited:

I enjoyed the demo and combat for what it is, and think I'll love the game. But I do still miss turn based RPGs where you control the full party and hope that isn't permanently lost. The stagger system would be awesome with the old ATB system and combos, much like Octopath. There's just something about having full control of my entire party's actions, and I love how turn based games don't demand reflexes for when you just want to chill out. I have so many fond memories of childhood summers where I'd be out and about hanging with friends all day, then come back home completely wiped to play a nice relaxing JRPG. Having that kind of experience with today's production values and modern conveniences... that would be incredible.

With that said, I'm actually really excited for the change in story tone for FF. It'll be clear soon enough, but the way the series has always mixed sci-fi and high fantasy could pay off REALLY well. Introducing technology in FFXVI could really separate itself with all the GoT comparisons. But so far, despite the obvious parallels, the demo has shown the game still feels VERY much like Final Fantasy - from the combat to the eikons, to the soundtrack (prelude is GOAT).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The fact that people think "a story driven DMC/Bayo/GoW 50 hour long Game of Thrones Revenge Story focusing on just one character" somehow equates to this being a FF RPG boggles my mind. Are modern gaming tastes so bad now that people are ok with this? Why must every AAA game be in this format, or some open world? I like having a diversity of genres, and the traditional JRPG is it's own genre, and this game is anything but that.

People like you keep crying about how this game somehow is nothing like FF, when it is evertyhing FF down to changing the battle system which has been a thing established since the second fucking game.

You know nothing of Final Fantasy and just want a reason to bitch about a game people are hyped about.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeaaaah it's why I go back and play older games that are everything a JRPG should be. At a glance FFXVI looks like another one and done cinematic movie to me.

Like if you take FFXVI and arguably even FFVIIR it really pales in comparison to the JRPG format Dragon Quest still has.

The Yoshi P Cultists and Square Enix thirsty shills will buy anything with high production value even if it's poop on a stick. Like the poop is pretty but it's still poop regardless once you see things for how they are.

FFXVI I think will be fine but from where I'm standing the game isn't Final Fantasy in the purest sense. It's just a DMC clone with Final Fantasy coat of paint.

I think my reservations are well founded given what I've seen and heard the game has the very predictable FFXIV story progression philosophy it runs on.

Not sure if Final Fantasy or Japanese Dungeons and Dragons will ever return to the PSX glory days but that seems rather slim since all the old talent migrated to other companies after the merge.

Like I'm fine with experimentation and it can work well like it does with Mario/Zelda but Square Enix tends to reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel and most of the time it falls short because the company focuses more on graphical fidelity then actual innovation and evolving the brand that says out loud "This is Final Fantasy and I offer an experience no one else can give you".

Last edited:
I got the game early and I'm about 16 hours in and I can confirm the story is not focused on just one character. It's heavily focused on multiple characters.

Madflavor

Can't people accept that Final Fantasy is kind of anthology of games with different characters, settings and gameplay styles (including MMORPG!) and some themes and common elements to tie them together.

No. This Billion Dollar company should cater to why I believe a JRPG should be, or else I personally won't be excited and may buy at a deep discount. I asked my Mom's opinion and she agrees.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

No. This Billion Dollar company should cater to why I believe a JRPG should be, or else I personally won't be excited and may buy at a deep discount. I asked my Mom's opinion and she agrees.
What a weird argument, God forbid people decide what to be excited about or what to buy.

After trying the demo I have no idea what people liked about it. I respect it but I really don’t understand it at all.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What a weird argument, God forbid people decide what to be excited about or what to buy.

After trying the demo I have no idea what people liked about it. I respect it but I really don’t understand it at all.
There is a difference between “i am not excited for this. I will pass” and the endless parade of “this is fucking shit final fantasy is dead and i hope it fails” that we have been inundated with by people who made up their mind before the first trailer dropped.

Ronin_7

Banned
I am so close to buying this 670$ machine ONLY to play this game and they think FF16 is anything to worry about.

Would be amazing to see once sales tops the chart.
You won't regret.

If i might, let me just recommend putting 1 year of PlayStation Extra or at least see the catalog, i think you'll be impressed and maybe you'll play something else.

🙏

Chukhopops

There is a difference between “i am not excited for this. I will pass” and the endless parade of “this is fucking shit final fantasy is dead and i hope it fails” that we have been inundated with by people who made up their mind before the first trailer dropped.
I see the weird hyperbole is still going on, sorry I stopped following the threads about this game, there were too many of them.

Anyway it seems some people like it so good for SE.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I see the weird hyperbole is still going on, sorry I stopped following the threads about this game, there were too many of them.

Anyway it seems some people like it so good for SE.
It isn’t hyperbole. It is having a basic working memory and confirming it with users post histories.

KàIRóS

Why are you comparing with Persona instead Pokemon? lol

If you only speak about sales, why the last Yakuza is the best sold? They were from action in real time to turn based.

I mean, you simply are comparing super AAA with modest JRPG games. Persona 5 is not a $100 game, probably is like 5 or 6x less.

Pokemon is uncomparable to most JRPGs, it's a franchise that has almost a monopoly on it's subgenre, and nobody is really trying to dethrone it, Pokemon Arceus was actually praised for finally changing the turn based combat and adding some action rpg mechanics in the mix btw.

Funny that you mention Yakuza which did exactly what XVI is doing right now just in reverse, Like a Dragon bagged many new players by changing the combat to turn based and KEPT the original fanbase that enjoyed the action combat, XVI is essentially doing the same, as much as there are FF fans complaining about the combat change the vast majority will still play XVI and many new players will try FF for the first time now that it's full Action RPG.

I mean if you want me to do a comparison with the FF franchise alone, Elden Ring already sold more than all the turn based entries, FFVII (only counting OG PS1 as Remake is an Action RPG) is the highest selling one with 15 million and like I said in the post before Elden Ring is at 20 Million in a single year.

As much as some of you are trying to cope with the fact, the numbers are there, Turn Based RPGs don't sell as much as Action RPGs, I don't have anything against Turn Based I like them too, hell right now my GOTY is still Octopath Traveler 2, but facts are facts, FF going Action RPG is the best for the franchise.

Twinblade

Can you really compare the two? FF was created around turn based combat, the others, were not.

KàIRóS

Can you really compare the two? FF was created around turn based combat, the others, were not.

I don't think I get your point completely, but even comparing FFXV which is Action RPG it has already sold more than most of the turn based FFs, only VII and VIII are above it, XII too but personally I wouldn't count that one as turn based.

Alebrije

Finally a FF that plays great. I stoped playing FF after X. After all those experiments it seems Square Enix. nailed gameplay. And the dark fantasy story is welcome.

Those Chocobos of the demo look superb...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Because they assembled the right team to make this type of game. They went all out on it, fully dedicated the production to achieve its vision.

It’s ok to want something else, that happens with every FF release because they are all different one way or another. But I can tell some of the people who wanted something entirely different hoped SE would half ass it like they do too often, and can’t help themselves but be bitter about the fact that SE didn’t half ass it one bit.

I admit I fought against this, and I hope its going to completely win me over once it releases. I did enjoy what I played, I just admit that I dug my heels in on thinking what I wanted from an FF in 2023.

But I can absolutely, and have no issues in admitting that this game seems to be what every one wants and I probably couldnt see the forest for the tree's.

I just hope performance mode is fixes as I have an OLED.

Felessan

remove the gacha shit from honkai star rail and it is a modern big budget turn based RPG
Like a demo of it, actually. Game seriously lacks content atm.

1. A story driven DMC-like JRPG was a thing for like forever.
2. FF changed a lot over a course of years. And FF went to "less party and turn-based, more action" for 20 years already. And it's not a bad thing - series move forward and try to figure what is optimal for JRPG with truly *mass-market* appeal. FF RPG is a mass market, most popular, most sold JRPG and it tries to maintain this image/status - this means that it should cater to what a modern era people want to play, not stick to traditions. If you don't like it - there are quite a lot more traditional JRPG to play.

vkbest

Pokemon is uncomparable to most JRPGs, it's a franchise that has almost a monopoly on it's subgenre, and nobody is really trying to dethrone it, Pokemon Arceus was actually praised for finally changing the turn based combat and adding some action rpg mechanics in the mix btw.

So Pokemon is incomparable, but you are using the most successful western RPG to compare with Persona 5? really? lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Like a demo of it, actually. Game seriously lacks content atm.
I love turn based combat but if I'm gonna play turn based RPG then I rather play Octopath, DQ and Persona/SMT instead of F2P gacha game, in fact for next year I'm super hyped for Metaphor and Persona 3 Reload.

I have zero tolerance for F2P online only BS.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
1. A story driven DMC-like JRPG was a thing for like forever.
2. FF changed a lot over a course of years. And FF went to "less party and turn-based, more action" for 20 years already. And it's not a bad thing - series move forward and try to figure what is optimal for JRPG with truly *mass-market* appeal. FF RPG is a mass market, most popular, most sold JRPG and it tries to maintain this image/status - this means that it should cater to what a modern era people want to play, not stick to traditions. If you don't like it - there are quite a lot more traditional JRPG to play.
I don’t even see it as finding what’s “optimal”, I think they’re just experimenting with new ideas that they think would make for a fun and challenging game with interesting gameplay and character growth. 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 all play very differently from each other and have totally different styles. And I’m expecting 17 will do a lot of things differently from 16.

That’s why these “it doesn’t feel like Final Fantasy” comments are so ridiculous.

Heck, I remember (not sure if I mentioned in this thread) in the run up to FF7’s release there were people saying things like “I miss when Final Fantasy used to be FANTASY” and “I want to play a game, not watch a movie.” And there were lots of people who thought that FF became too flashy and cinematic and that series like Dragon Quest, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Golden Sun etc were the ones staying true to JRPG tradition.

Guess it wouldn’t be a mainline Final Fantasy release without the vocal minority of whiners crying that it doesn’t feel like Final Fantasy (AKA “it doesn’t feel like the one I played when I was 12”)

Top Bottom