• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN]Square Enix Hoping to Release Final Fantasy 7 Remake Trilogy's Finale by 2027, Part III main story is finished

They have finished the main story for part III, voice recording starting soon.

2027 marks the 30th anniversary for the OG release, would be a great timing.

On X/Twitter, user @aitaikimochi posted information found in the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Ultimania book. It apparently reveals that the main story for part 3 of Final Fantasy VII Remake is finished, and Square Enix's Tetsuya Nomura aims to start voice recording "shortly."

Interestingly, @aitaikimochi also flagged that the book revealed that Final Fantasy VII Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase hopes that Part 3 will ship in three years. "Kitase mentions FF7 Rebirth was done within three years since about one year was developing the DLC," @aitaikimochi wrote. "[A]nd he hopes to be able to stick with that schedule for Part 3 too."

If the development team manages to ship out Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 3 in three years, it will set the release window for 2027. This would be impeccable timing for the third and final part of remaking the iconic PlayStation title, primarily because 2027 will mark 30 years since the original Final Fantasy VII was released.

Didn't they say 2028 before? Imagine FF7R3 as a cross-gen PS6 launch title, tho.
Remake was originally exclusive to PS4, Rebirth to PS5, so it's a reasonable assumption that part three will be exclusive to PS6. I hope not but that's the history so far.

nial

Gold Member
Remake was originally exclusive to PS4, Rebirth to PS5, so it's a reasonable assumption that part three will be exclusive to PS6. I hope not but that's the history so far.
Context matters; Remake was released in the last major year for PS4, while Rebirth is releasing over three years on PS5's lifecyle, so leaving last-gen behind is for the best. But part 3 being a launch title for PS6? It would 100% also release on PS5.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

The final part will also ship on the Pro. :messenger_sunglasses:

Lmao at the 3arliest it'll launch in 2028 and it will definitely be PS6 crossgen. I expect an early 2029 release.
By the end of 2027 looks achievable. With 16 and Rebirth they've proven they can develop big detailed games in efficient time without delays and Kitase is saying Rebirth was produced in 3 years.

In terms of development they have a lot to accomplish:

-Implementing Cid and Vincent
-The snow region and Icicle Inn town
-The mountain region and Northern Crater
-Rocket town and the surrounding region
-Wutai and the surrounding region
-Mideel region and town
-Under the ocean regions
-Trip to space
-Submarine traversal
-Airship traversal
-Large scale WEAPON battles
-Knights of the Round
-Access and return to all previous locations and updating them
-Return to Midgar
-The final dungeons

But I think this will be a cinch for them considering most of the hard work like creating the dev tools, assets and gameplay style is set now from part 2.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
As someone who played and completed the original why has the game been split into 3 seemingly massive parts? I mean the original was a single game

Lambogenie

As someone who played and completed the original why has the game been split into 3 seemingly massive parts? I mean the original was a single game
More character beats and in Rebirth's case larger regions filled with a bunch of open world tasks.

Character beats are great. The repetitive open world task list and abundance of mini games, maybe not after the 20th time. Still a great game though.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

That's just how some things gotta be.

lWpav9i.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

If you ever play Rebirth you'll see why.

It has to be one of the largest JRPG productions ever, in terms of map size, variety, amount of assets, characters, unique locales etc.. but there's still a ton of story and world to cover in the final game.

The original games world were pictures sitting on polygon blobs.

Last edited:

Neff

They can do it. They have a lot of the game already made, since we'll be revisiting Midgar and Junon, and battling enemies from part 1 and 2.

It was vast. Massive. The most expensive game ever made at the time, requiring hundreds of staff all over the world utilising cutting edge technology to deliver ten times more content than any game ever had before. Even subsequent Final Fantasy titles didn't push the boat out like VII did. If you go back and play it, you'll see how full to bursting with unique content it is, and how quickly the player blasts through it. Recreating that in today's visuals is no small undertaking.

They gotta recoup Rebirth first

Even if Rebirth loses money (highly unlikely) they're not hitting the brakes on this.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Scale and money. Scale because remaking FFVII completely from the ground up, and include everything from the original with absolutely no compromise, would've been way too big to fit into one game. It can be done, but it would take a colossal amount of time, and they would likely have to cut a lot of corners with the open world.

Money because it was once thought that remaking FFVII would simply print money. While I'm sure once upon a time that was definitely true, it's clearly not anymore. Remake took 3-4 years to reach 7 million sold, and Rebirth sounds to be hovering between 2.5 - 3 million right now. I think part of the problem is these games are coming out too late, when much of the FF and FFVII fans have aged out. Aside from FFXIV, younger gamers either don't know or don't care about Final Fantasy.

They gotta recoup Rebirth first

They did. Low marketing cost, less development cost than Remake, exclusivity deal with Sony, higher price tag than Remake. It's fine.

Last edited:

saintjules

Context matters; Remake was released in the last major year for PS4, while Rebirth is releasing over three years on PS5's lifecyle, so leaving last-gen behind is for the best. But part 3 being a launch title for PS6? It would 100% also release on PS5.

Definitely seeing it as cross-gen, some bells and whistles that only are featured on the PS6.

I wonder if they're going to use Unreal Engine 5? I'd assume so.

Elios83

Yeah I expect the third part to be released quickly.
They already have all the ingredients.
It's basically a couple of new regions, the rest of the story and the ability to use the airship which is clear they have already started to experiment with in Rebirth (see the couple of sections where you can fly with the Tiny Bronco).
It will be a late PS5 game similarly to how the 2020 remake was a late PS4 game.
After that they'll bring the whole collection remastered on PS6.

Kumomeme

so since CBU1 is occupied with FFVII part 3 atleast until 2027 and Osaka KH team also still with KH4

only team that are schedule free to develop next new mainline FF is CBU3 and former Luminous Production team. one of them gonna develop FF17.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

so since CBU1 is occupied with FFVII part 3 atleast until 2027 and Osaka KH team also still with KH4

only team that are schedule free to develop next new mainline FF is CBU3 and former Luminous Production team. one of them gonna develop FF17.
Not necessarily, from a story, design and pre-production perspective part 3 is already complete and will be even more straightforward than Rebirth from the sounds of things.

CBU1 is comprosied of multiple staff who have been both directors/producers, such as Hamaguchi, Nomura, Toriyama, Kitase etc and so between them I'd think they have capacity to work on other projects aside from FF7, such as FF17 or an FF10.

Also well before development wraps up for the final game they can start moving over staff to something new.

It's hard to say at this stage, so it will be interesting to see which staff and division ends up leading it.

Last edited:

I like how people look for patterns while ignoring the base line facts.

FF7 Remake didn't start development at the same time in the cycle that FF7 Rebirth did. Rebirth like the final game will utilize a lot of the same elements already created in the first two games. That's why the 2nd game didn't take as long to make and why the 3rd game won't take as long to make.

It'll definitely be a PS5 game and there will probably be a next-gen patch for PS6, but it certainly won't be a PS6 exclusive, not with how difficult it is to sell software on new hardware.

IMO, this is a huge 3-part, 400+ hour total, brand-new games with a familiar FF7 skin over it.

I’d rather much prefer they spend this much effort on something new, but there’s a certain charm to this aesthetics and designs that I can’t fault them for revisiting their greatest game to date.

Hopefully they make a FFXVII that is closer to the OG FF7 in the future, now that they spend 10+ years re-learning what made them legendary.

Huh? That logic only makes sense if you don’t take into consideration at all when each console launched or was phased out of the market. Which obviously would be a glaring oversight in business planning that Square and PlayStation wouldn’t make. lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

This is essentially the AAA version to what we have seen with the Trails franchise. One area /landmass taking 3-4 games to tell a massive narrative that incorporates 40+ characters with their own unique stories, personalities, and intertwining and shifting allegiances.

Puscifer

Scale and money. Scale because remaking FFVII completely from the ground up, and include everything from the original with absolutely no compromise, would've been way too big to fit into one game. It can be done, but it would take a colossal amount of time, and they would likely have to cut a lot of corners with the open world.

Money because it was once thought that remaking FFVII would simply print money. While I'm sure once upon a time that was definitely true, it's clearly not anymore. Remake took 3-4 years to reach 7 million sold, and Rebirth sounds to be hovering between 2.5 - 3 million right now. I think part of the problem is these games are coming out too late, when much of the FF and FFVII fans have aged out. Aside from FFXIV, younger gamers either don't know or don't care about Final Fantasy.

They did. Low marketing cost, less development cost than Remake, exclusivity deal with Sony, higher price tag than Remake. It's fine.
They really should've rode the high of the FF 7 remake trailer for PS3 and called it a day, this is nuts that is taking an entire generation to remake this game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They really should've rode the high of the FF 7 remake trailer for PS3 and called it a day, this is nuts that is taking an entire generation to remake this game.

It isn't a remake and it isn't just a game. It is 3 fully fledged games that offer far more than the original ever did. It is more akin to Mass Effect Trilogy than it is a simple remake of a single game.

The final part will also ship on the Pro. :messenger_sunglasses:

By the end of 2027 looks achievable. With 16 and Rebirth they've proven they can develop big detailed games in efficient time without delays and Kitase is saying Rebirth was produced in 3 years.

In terms of development they have a lot to accomplish:

-Implementing Cid and Vincent
-The snow region and Icicle Inn town
-The mountain region and Northern Crater
-Rocket town and the surrounding region
-Wutai and the surrounding region
-Mideel region and town
-Under the ocean regions
-Trip to space
-Submarine traversal
-Airship traversal
-Large scale WEAPON battles
-Knights of the Round
-Access and return to all previous locations and updating them
-Return to Midgar
-The final dungeons

But I think this will be a cinch for them considering most of the hard work like creating the dev tools, assets and gameplay style is set now from part 2.

There's no way they're gonna stay on the old unreal engine 4 like they did last time. They're moving to UE5 specially for a game that will launch when UE6 will be out, games take longer to develop now specially on modern tech. By the time 2027 comes along I bet an extra year or year and a half of development will be normal.

Also Rebirth was in development since 2019, it was only in full production for 3 years which is kinda normal most games are in full production for 3-4 years despite being in development for longer. But yea good luck SE.

Crayon

It's a different game entirely. Did a great job of feeling like the original somehow. At least for me. You could say it follows the locations, main beats, bosses and enemies, but there's tons more stuff in between. Details, new character interacts and development, quests.

I didn't feel like I was playing the old game stretched out. More like filled out. Being in midgar so long as the setting brings it down a bit, but that was one of the only symptoms I noticed from the game being just midgar. That and feeling restricted.

As you can tell, I'm a fan. For a lot of people this is one of their biggest issues with the game because to them, it was not filled out very well. I liked it a lot, though.

Go_Ly_Dow

There's no way they're gonna stay on the old unreal engine 4 like they did last time. They're moving to UE5 specially for a game that will launch when UE6 will be out, games take longer to develop now specially on modern tech. By the time 2027 comes along I bet an extra year or year and a half of development will be normal.

Also Rebirth was in development since 2019, it was only in full production for 3 years which is kinda normal most games are in full production for 3-4 years despite being in development for longer. But yea good luck SE.
We'll see. Personally I think they'll stick to UE4 or this gen and just keep updating it. UE5 won't really big any notable benefits to these consoles if any, esepcially when they want the 30fps mode to run at a full 4k and also have a 60fps mode in the game. It's not like they had the power headoroom in Rebirth to push additional features like ray tracing.

Maybe for some PS6 port they port of these games they'll then update to UE5/6.

Part 3 has been in dev since 2022, when they announced Rebirth in June 2022 they said work on the final part had already began. This was a quote from Nomura or Hamaguchi. So I guess pre-production wrapped up for it about now. So assume 3 years of full production and it should comfortably release by the end of 2027.

Go_Ly_Dow

Maybe because the sales weren't as good as they hoped they are cutting the budget and scope of it to release it sooner.
Nope. They've never said 2028 or anything like that. They're releasing it a asap finish up the trilogy before the generation is out. CBU1 is filled with talent and they'll want to begin freeing it up for other projects.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Nope. They've never said 2028 or anything like that. They're releasing it a asap to finish up the trilogy before the generation is out. CBU1 is filled with talent and they'll want to begin freeing it up for other projects.
Yeah, the headline was misleading since Rebirth only took 3 years, apparently.

Pejo

I wonder if they'll do a "continuous mode" when all 3 parts are out and in a full collection/experience. Like where they add some transitions from Remake to Itergrade to Rebirth etc and let you keep levels/gear/items in a single linear progression. I'd be really interested in something like that.

Fabieter

Arkhan Knight released in 2015 with UE 3 so I wouldn't rule it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom