• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's stock falls by 30%

Kurotri

Square Enix’s stock has fallen 30% from its peak this year, wiping almost $2 billion off the company’s market value
The slump comes after sales of the PS5 game (Final Fantasy 16) reportedly failed to meet the high end of the company’s expectations.
Following the disappointing performance of other big budget releases like 2020’s live service flop Marvel’s Avengers, support for which will end this month, and Forspoken, the debut game from Square Enix’s Luminous Productions studio, which launched to “lacklustre” sales, according to the company.

More at the link on the tweet.

Aion002

Sony...

motivational just do it GIF

Otherwise MS might do it.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Maybe Square should do some soul searching an go back to turn-based RPGs. Like the ones that everyone remembers. If SMT and Persona can be successful after all these years and they are TB. Why can't Square do something like X again? Though 7 Remake is pretty good. 16 in my opinion wasn't very good, and I'm sure remake part 2 will sell a vagina-ton of copies

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Maybe Square should do some soul searching an go back to turn-based RPGs. Like the ones that everyone remembers. If SMT and Persona can be successful after all these years and they are TB. Why can't Square do something like X again? Though 7 Remake is pretty good. 16 in my opinion wasn't very good, and I'm sure remake part 2 will sell a vagina-ton of copies
Square Enix still makes plenty of turn based games.

The problem with FF XVI wasn't that it was an action RPG. The problem was that it sucked as an RPG and sucked as a character action game.

Last edited:

ssringo

I'm sure them sacks of exclusivity cash are offsetting everything. Though I doubt they'd be in a different position regardless. They seem to have been burning bridges with fans and making head scratching decisions for a long time now.

T4keD0wN

Now thats what i like to see, stock going in the right direction thanks to excellent leadership. Keep it up Square.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Last edited:

SNG32

Either Sony needs to buy them or Square needs to stop all this exclusive shit with Sony. We’ve seen what happened to Capcom once they stopped that shit. No way next kingdom hearts is a Sony exclusive square would have to be outta their mind to do that again at this point without a Sony acquisition atleast.

Last edited:

Three

Either Sony needs to buy them or Square needs to stop all this exclusive shit with Sony. We’ve seen what happened to Capcom once they stopped that shit. No way next kingdom hearts is a Sony exclusive square would have to be outta their mind to do that again at this point without a Sony acquisition atleast.
Stock price has nothing to do with exclusivity otherwise it would have went up since Square announced official PC release and MS partnership for xbox releases already.

The only Capcom exclusive in the last years on Sony consoles has been SFV and it was funded by Sony because Capcom was having financial issues, the funding actually helped Capcom more than Sony.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Their Market Cap seems to be around 4.45 billion USD. I don’t know how they can keep this up.

For those of you discussing acquisition: nobody is going to acquire a company that is bleeding this much cash, unless they’re buying at a stupid low price.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This has been span as if it was FF16 fault but is something more than that.

The Diofield, marvels avengers and Forspoken are the result of this alongside the decrease in FFXIV income.

Both forespoken and FF16 cost a lot to make and didn’t return on either. Throw in the marvel game / strangers of paradise failures and a declining FF14 for good measure.

But they did have a lot of small games that did well. So I don’t think it’s that dire. It’s just lower than before.

Both forespoken and FF16 cost a lot to make and didn’t return on either. Throw in the marvel game / strangers of paradise failures and a declining FF14 for good measure.

But they did have a lot of small games that did well. So I don’t think it’s that dire. It’s just lower than before.
Except this one was helped by Sony and SE confirmed the game was profitable since July 2023, don’t know why some people are still saying didn’t return on.

Forespoken really hit them hard, they shut the whole team down so not sure what more can be done other than suck up the loss and write better stories in future

Square Enix and inept decisions and expectations?
Except this time, stakeholders did not buy into SE bullshit.

Square Enix still makes plenty of turn based games.
Rather than making them, they just dump them into the void without any kind of marketing.

The only Capcom exclusive in the last years on Sony consoles has been SFV and it was funded by Sony because Capcom was having financial issues, the funding actually helped Capcom more than Sony.
To launch SF5 without content :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Their Market Cap seems to be around 4.45 billion USD. I don’t know how they can keep this up.
Well, if they can't keep it up they can always go down :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Square has said so themselves. 😵‍💫 I mean it’s literally in the article and many others.

Stop buying into obvious PR when sales drop off a week after.
I don’t buy in the PR but is simple math considering the units sold and the financial help they got from Sony, without it, I would agree the game wouldn’t break even as of now.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

They still make turn based games and they’re way better than their AAA flops

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Though 7 Remake is pretty good. 16 in my opinion wasn't very good, and I'm sure remake part 2 will sell a vagina-ton of copies
I'm not sure of that at all. Everyone has been telling me they're sure of that since that reveal on PS3 but I haven't seen any of evidence of that except FFVII fans in a bubble overhyping themselves. Typically a direct story sequel will sell less than the first game, and then a third will sell less than the 2nd because you have to play the first game to play the others. FFVII did alright, but nothing like what the decade of people saying it is the way to save FF after FFXIII implied. FFXIII sold a lot more than that actually.

I've said for a while that sticking your best development team on remakes for a decade is going to go down as one of the worst decisions they've ever made. We could have FFXVII right now with exciting new characters and a new world, but instead we get more Cloud and looking backwards.

Buggy Loop

gAMerS dOn’T LiKE turN bAsED!

Don’t look at Divinity original sin 2 or Baldur’s Gate 3 scores / success.

Casual gamers have poisoned SE’s mind. They tried to reach mass appeal like a call of duty.

Top Bottom