• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Square Enix's second Marvel game is Guardians of the Galaxy

Toki767

I know Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy are bigger names, but I was honestly somewhat expecting Square Enix to retool Deus Ex to some sort of Agents of SHIELD video game.

Neoxon

After the Mother 3 rumor and GameCube Virtual Console rumor, I'd take every rumor that Eurogamer reports with a grain of salt.
Nothing is confirmed outside of what Square Enix has officially announced.
Mother 3 could very well be revealed later for the Switch, as I believe Emily heard that the Mother 3 localization was finished for the Wii U but was later saved for the Switch when it was clear that the Wii U was beyond saving. Same for GameCube Virtual Console for the Switch, more so given that Eurogamer never said that GameCube VC would be there at launch. Also factor in that they were right about the Switch's concept as well as Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy being revealed at The Game Awards.

In short, you're kind of jumping the gun in terms of writing off either rumor as fake, especially given the rumors that Eurogamer reported on that have panned out.

Neoxon

This post makes me sad. I'd like to think we've proven ourselves to be a reliable and trustworthy source. I guess we still have work to do to convince some!

On those two articles you've highlighted, please be excited.
You actually work for Eurogamer?

Neoxon

Yes. Sorry, should have said. I'm Wesley Yin-Poole, deputy editor.
So are you still standing by those reports (albeit Mother 3 being on the Switch instead of the Wii U) as well as the same apply to Tom Phillips' report of Pokémon Stars being Switch-exclusive?

Either way, maybe contact a mod to add your job description as your tag.

opricnik

Banned
I wonder how Avengers gonna play , single player game? dead island type 4 player co-op game? Story driven or you can choose characters?
RPG? Action?

Thewonandonly

Is IO going to be involved in their stupid universe as well? YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH HITMAN

But what if IO make a hitman game but instead of hitman your the punisher :O Hired for contracts to hunt kingpin or Spider-Man man that would be awsome.

JB2448

This post makes me sad. I'd like to think we've proven ourselves to be a reliable and trustworthy source. I guess we still have work to do to convince some!
On those two articles you've highlighted, please be excited.
Don't get me wrong, I bear no ill will or anything like that. Of course plans change and projects that were planned get cancelled. But please try to look at it from the standpoint of a lifelong fan of the EarthBound series. I've been burnt too many times by too many seemingly iron-clad sources reporting rumors about Mother 3. Laura Kate Dale's Tweet comes to mind when it comes to that especially.

I want to be excited. I really, really do.

Thanks for coming in and responding, though. It's nice to know you're listening to both positive and negative feedback.

Vic_Viper

GotG is actually the one title from Marvel that I thought would work really well with the Deus Ex style.

Just imagine having huge hub areas to explore like Prauge in MD while having missions that you can pick up and take on in other areas. It fits perfectly with the design of HR and MD, but instead of a train you take your spaceship! Out of all the Marvel properties, Guardians is the one that has the most potential for a style of game like this imo.

My main hope though, is that we get Nova as a playable character. Hell make him the main character!

Neoxon

GotG is actually the one title from Marvel that I thought would work really well with the Deus Ex style.

Just imagine having huge hub areas to explore like Prauge in MD while having missions that you can pick up and take on in other areas. It fits perfectly with the design of HR and MD, but instead of a train you take your spaceship! Out of all the Marvel properties, Guardians is the one that has the most potential for a style of game like this imo.

My main hope though, is that we get Nova as a playable character. Hell make him the main character!
  • It's a Guardians game, not a Nova game. The main character will likely be either Star-Lord or Rocket.
  • Which Nova?

NMFried

So...

- Spider-Man
- Avengers Project
- GOTG Telltale
- GOTG Eidos
- MvC: Infinite

It's a good time to be a Marvel games fan.

Vic_Viper

• It's a Guardians game, not a Nova game. The main character will likely be either Star-Lord or Rocket.
  • Which Nova?

Rich Rider of course!

Nova_ampliacion.jpg

I know its a pipe dream lol. But imagine the possibilities of going from a new Nova Corps recruit, to becoming the last surviving member with the full use of the Nova Force. Having Xandar be the main hub would be amazing, especially if its destroyed by the end. The Guardians could be helping along the way as companions and quest givers. The game could follow the events of Annihilation and the Thanos Imperative, loosely of course.

I really dont think the type of game im thinking of would work as well if you control a full party. Star Lord would be cool, but imo Nova has way more possibilities for growth in terms of gameplay options. Plus they haven't officially said its going to be a GotG game yet, its just a rumor, and it could technically mean in the Guardians universe. Plus with Telltale doing their game it would be weird having both.

Neoxon

And there goes my glimpse of hope seeing a X-Men game from SE.

I knew it would be almost impossible given the ban.
Yeah, Marvel Entertainment seriously needs to get their heads out of their asses concerning the X-Men (+ Deadpool) & the Fantastic Four in other media.

Khezu

I haven't been paying attention to any of this.

Are Squares Japanese teams going to be making some Marvel games?

Outside of HItman, I have only very negative opinions on Eidos.

Neoxon

I haven't been paying attention to any of this.

Are Squares Japanese teams going to be making some Marvel games?

Outside of HItman, I have only very negative opinions on Eidos.
It's mainly Crystal Dynamics & Eidos Montreal.

this kinda worries me, because the shooting part of the new Deus Ex games are terrible...
I'm not saying they're bad games, just that they suck as shooters...

Seiryoden

Surely a 3rd person action adventure game? If true, I wonder how they'll do this. Starlord and Nathan Drake are cut from the same cloth, so.... Poor Lara /jk

Banned
Lame. Marvel needs to stop pushing this. I want a good Iron Man game or Hulk or even Captain America.

Some Nobody

Rich Rider of course!

Nova_ampliacion.jpg

I know its a pipe dream lol. But imagine the possibilities of going from a new Nova Corps recruit, to becoming the last surviving member with the full use of the Nova Force. Having Xandar be the main hub would be amazing, especially if its destroyed by the end. The Guardians could be helping along the way as companions and quest givers. The game could follow the events of Annihilation and the Thanos Imperative, loosely of course.

I really dont think the type of game im thinking of would work as well if you control a full party. Star Lord would be cool, but imo Nova has way more possibilities for growth in terms of gameplay options. Plus they haven't officially said its going to be a GotG game yet, its just a rumor, and it could technically mean in the Guardians universe. Plus with Telltale doing their game it would be weird having both.

Honestly if you were going to do Marvel Cosmic you might as well do it straight--let the Guardians come in later. Start out with Nova and he's like the last one. He wakes up on a destroyed Xandar that failed to fight back the Annihilation Wave. He opens with the powers of a normal Nova but now he's got the entire Nova Force inside him--you learn moves as he gains XP, which is contextualized as him feeling more comfortable with the Nova Force. (In the comics he initially panicked over having that kind of power inside him.)

Since its almost a given this is going to be some type of open-world game, I'd do an inFamous 2 sort of thing. The Annhilation Wave is this massive threat that's wiping out whole planets, and you're trying to master complete control over the Nova Force while fighting them at the same time--trying to hold them back before they can get to some of the major races' homeworlds. Side-quests can be you keeping the peace as Nova on other planets that don't involve you directly fighting the AW. They were an attrition-focused army and you watched the heroes of the story have to leave multiple planets to the Wave because they'd lost too many forces, so seeing you switch from planet to planet would make sense.

That said: They're not going to do anything that cool. Though if we got a Guardians game around War of Kings that'd be amazing.

Lame. Marvel needs to stop pushing this. I want a good Iron Man game or Hulk or even Captain America.

1.) The Hulk is trash.
2.) Go play Ultimate Destruction
3.) Marvel totally should never stop pushing the (real) Guardians, but I DO want a good Iron Man game so we've got common ground there. We'll have to settle for The Avengers project I guess.

Thewonandonly

Yeah, I'd play this game.

Seriously though, the movie Guardians aren't really my bag so I hope they mix in more of the 2008 stuff and make the game have some actual gravitas. Extra points if its like this.
Comics are weird as hell guys.

*goes back to playing a game where a giant space beat hits earth causing it to be a bunch of hexecons

Guardians aren't going anywhere, meanwhile Cap and Ironman probably aren't getting anymore standalones (at least Evans and RDJ). Also space is so hot right now.

You've gotta think.

Guardians Vol 2 - 2017
Infinity Wars Part 1 - 2018
Infinity Wars Part 2 - 2019
Guardians Vol 3 - 2021
Next Ensemble Movie(Maybe) - 20xx

Huge window to capitalize. It's time to redeem the mistakes of Activision. Hopefully they have absolutely no part in any Marvel games going forward or ever again.

Neoxon

Rich Rider of course!

Nova_ampliacion.jpg

• You chose wisely
  • The leak would have said Nova game if that was the case, not a Guardians game. Of course, Nova could be playable. Just don't expect him to be the main character.

Stop pushing one of their current biggest franchises? Why?

Top Bottom