• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Square Enix's second Marvel game is Guardians of the Galaxy

how would one make an Avengers game where we are not literally killing hundreds of enemies without much of a problem?

I am pretty sure Avengers game is going to turn out something like Lego Avengers
The Avengers kill people all the time in both the movies and the comics.
Most Marvel heroes have no problem with killing their enemies.

Neoxon

The Avengers kill people all the time in both the movies and the comics.
Most Marvel heroes have no problem with killing their enemies.
Daredevil is one of the bigger exceptions to that, at least concerning characters already introduced in the MCU.

Tobor

Whats the appeal of guardians anyways? lame old music and dad jokes?

Why does anyone want this?

I know you're hurt about Deus Ex, but come the fuck on. You know why people want this. It was a hugely successful movie and millions loved it.

Deus Ex didn't sell. This will. The world moves on.

Neoxon

You know the games are not gonna be influenced by that run. Don't set him/her up for disappointment.
Marvel's actually been pretty good about referencing the DnA stuff as of late (seeing as it was the main inspiration for the movie), especially in the recent GotG cartoon. Hell, even "flark" has been used more in both the show & the comics (most recently by Sam/Kid Nova in Nova #2 when fighting the Cancerverse monster that followed Richie back to Earth). Hopefully the Duggan run continues that trend, especially with the return of the Nova Corps (which will likely be touched on in the new Nova run, likely with Richie & Sam enlisting new Novas).

sense

I assume both games(avengers and guardians) are going to be some sort of mmo/coop game considering both have multiple characters. I wonder if they will do sp campaigns with a single hero.

Gbraga

I wasn't that happy about the announcement of Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics making Marvel games, but if they just rip off Mass Effect, a Guardians of the Galaxy game can be pretty damn awesome.

robotrock

Banned
I know you're hurt about Deus Ex, but come the fuck on. You know why people want this. It was a hugely successful movie and millions loved it.

Deus Ex didn't sell. This will. The world moves on.
I'm only basing this off the movie which I didn't enjoy very much, and fail to find anything there to like. Especially as a fan of Gunn's previous work too like Slither and Super. Sorry. I get the business decision behind this, but still dissapointed by it.

Marvel's actually been pretty good about referencing the DnA stuff as of late (seeing as it was the main inspiration for the movie), especially in the recent GotG cartoon. Hell, even "flark" has been used more in both the show & the comics (most recently by Sam/Kid Nova in Nova #2 when fighting the Cancerverse monster that followed Richie back to Earth). Hopefully the Duggan run continues that trend, especially with the return of the Nova Corps (which will likely be touched on in the new Nova run, likely with Richie & Sam enlisting new Novas).

tXYZo4D.png

The only reference everyone needs.

If this is true Mankind Divided just gets more disappointing. Such a weak ending that clearly is meant to set up other games and then just leaving it.

But at least we're getting a Guardians game, so that's nice.

Fuck you Square Enix. It's not our fault you didn't trust next gen, and tried to turn your ips in service based pc games. Might not be our fault, but we're the ones that will suffer for it.

At least we might get a good Marvel game that isn't MVC or Spiderman.

Aren't Telltale also making a Guardians of the Galaxy game? Why have 2 studios working on the same property when you have so many to choose from?

_Clash_

I hate this in principle

But I thought the Deus Ex reboot 1 was dull and GAF is telling me MD was half a game. Not sure Deus Ex 3 was delivering.

This'll be the second GotG game. I guess like with Warners' DC based games, it's all about the biggest properties. Oh well.

I didn't even like the movie but Ant-Man would be a really interesting game for the size changing mechanic alone. If connected to the movie, they could have it about Hank Pym's adventures in the past.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This'll be the second GotG game. I guess like with Warners' DC based games, it's all about the biggest properties. Oh well.

I didn't even like the movie but Ant-Man would be a really interesting game for the size changing mechanic alone. If connected to the movie, they could have it about Hank Pym's adventures in the past.

KNACK 2 baby! We already have that covered.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aren't Telltale also making a Guardians of the Galaxy game? Why have 2 studios working on the same property when you have so many to choose from?
You have to think about this from the publisher's perspective.

There's zero point in using an IP that won't sell, and the IP has to match the style and interests of the developer.

Lifeline

TellTale game has to be in the same universe as a prequel or something. Just like Tales from the Borderlands being in the same universe as Borderlands.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched 4 or 5 Marvel movies, and I feel burned out for life on all things Marvel. I really couldn't care less about this, and find it rather sad to see them going from original IP to licenes.

ckaneo

I'd rather they didnt make these group games as they are just too large in scope with too many characters.

Give me individual marvel characters, each with legit gameplay mechanics. Like Daredevil, Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow etc

Would be lame if so, wondr why marvel is pushing guardians so much like this?
Still if the gameplay is good i'd get it

Because the film was excellent and very successful? Because they have a sequel out this year? Because Guardians can be the gateway to more daft cosmic shit and characters in the MCU?

I'm getting my dream Spidey game. I'm getting a proper Avengers game. Telltale is making a GOTG title and Marvel Heroes is still running and fantastic... I'm set.

Everything else is just gravy at this point.

Mafro

I'd rather they didnt make these group games as they are just too large in scope with too many characters.

Give me individual marvel characters, each with legit gameplay mechanics. Like Daredevil, Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow etc
Will be shocked if we don't see a Captain Marvel game given the relentless push she's getting.

Because the film was excellent and very successful? Because they have a sequel out this year? Because Guardians can be the gateway to more daft cosmic shit and characters in the MCU?
It's a shame a lot of the good cosmic characters are tied up with the Fantastic Four license.

Neoxon

Will be shocked if we don't see a Captain Marvel game given the relentless push she's getting.
Assuming that the Avengers game comes out around 2019-2020, I'd be shocked if Captain Marvel wasn't a playable character in that game.

And of course Captain Marvel is gonna get a relentless push with her MCU film coming up.

Neoxon

Cool. Bring back the 2008 costumes and include Phylla-Vell, Adam Warlock and Cosmo and I'm in.
We'll probably get Cosmo, but I'm not sure if they'll go full-on 2008 costumes with this game. At best, we may get a mix of the 2008 costumes & the movie designs (like the costume that Star-Lord currently has in the comics).

So is this a PS4 exclusive like Spider-Man? Are Insomniac and Square the two devs building Marvel's gaming universe for Sony?

Not that its a big deal, and it would be cool if it was multi-plat so everyone could enjoy. Just wondering if this is like Spider-Man for Sony.

robotrock

Banned
So is this a PS4 exclusive like Spider-Man? Are Insomniac and Square the two devs building Marvel's gaming universe for Sony?

Not that its a big deal, and it would be cool if it was multi-plat so everyone could enjoy. Just wondering if this is like Spider-Man for Sony.

Don't see Square making an exclusive game for anyone. Maybe a year console timed exclusive like a Tomb Raider thing, but doubt it.

Budi

Sorry to bring bad news

tumblr_inline_mpokqsri121qz4rgp.gif

Well, shouldn't shoot (kick) the messenger. But this is really disapointing. To shelve such great and original long lasting video game IP to make licensed games instead. Hopefully it can come back some day.

Neoxon

Seeing as Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite & Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy aren't PS4-only, I wouldn't count on it.

No; the only ones which will be exclusive are the ones published by Sony. At the moment we've no reason to expect they've got any licenses aside from Spider-Man.

HardRojo

Yes! I only know about GotG from the movie and Rocket's appearance in UMvC3 but I'm definitely in for more GotG! Great news if true.

Top Bottom