• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Dystify

Edit: You can browse the files on my site (for a limited time): http://dystify.com/SwitchLeak. (Send legal takedown requests to me on Twitter.)

Edit: Leak kinda confirmed real:

tnqDe7E.png
C3cX9r6W8AYCCvR.png

The first image is described as what you see when you suspend a game on Switch. The second image is what actually happens as a Switch game is suspended. (I took the second image from this video).

Edit2: If you still had doubts: By now some Switch developers and insiders have also confirmed that this is real.

Original:

Apparently Nintendo developer information leaked. There are documents floating around that reveal a ton of information about Switch. If this is fake it's really impressive—there are a ton of files, in-development images and also new shots of Switch (called NX here) itself.

Note: Even if this is real, there may be some outdated information here.

You can download the files here:
(Note: If you don't wanna download the files, I have added all images from them to imgur. But they may not make much sense without context.)

Instead of downloading the files, you can also read them online for a limited time. There's a lot of information there, not all of it is covered in this post.

I have compiled all the images from the documents into folders on imgur.

Here's a list of some new information from the files.

• HD Rumble's technical name is a Linear resonant actuator
  • When in handheld mode, the Switch will have an unlock screen like a smartphone to prevent accidental waking.
  • The Switch features a Quick Menu. Press and hold the HOME Button for at least one second to display the Quick Settings screen on top of all other screens, including the HOME Menu and any applications. Unlike the 3DS, the active software will not be suspended when this menu is invoked
  • The Switch's keyboard will feature predictive text such as those on iOS and Android
  • System Settings will allow the user to edit the following settings:
    • Flight Mode Toggle
    • Enable/Disable Bluetooth
    • Manage Wi-fi
    • Manage NFC
    • Manage screen brightness
    • Screen lock
    • User Settings
    • Create/Edit Mii
    • Theme management
    • Controller management
    • System Update
  • Miis will have more options for hair, eyebrows, eyes, facial hair, glasses, mouths, and skin.
  • Miis will not store the creator's name, their favorites, and their birthday anymore. Anyone can edit Mii characters
  • Developers can create and sell Season Passes for their games
  • This document confirms an X1 like SoC using Maxwell on the final retail version
  • There are NO plans to provide an Internet Browser at this stage but developers are able to access a web applet to display specific websites within their game/app
  • A maximum of 8 users can be registered on a system
  • Friend requests and game invites CAN be sent from the console.
    • "Friend Presence is a feature that uses the Internet to convey information in real time about the online status of friends and the applications they are playing. Among possibilities, we see this being used in the application to check whether friends are in the joinable state, and to use the Friend List system feature screen to show what applications friends are playing."
  • A Nintendo Account can be linked to multiple Switches BUT save data is not automatically synchronised
  • There are TWO dev kit devices: SDEV and EDEV
    • SDEV - Has built-in ports; no built-in battery
    • EDEV - Resembles the retail product exactly but is black color
  • Game cards come in 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB variations.

Nintendo is expanding its online network and offers a library called Network Extension (NEX).

Matchmaking:
  • This feature matches players for multiplayer games. It can be used to bring players together based on matching criteria from among unspecified numbers of users, or to create groups among friends only. Groups can be created temporarily for a multiplayer game, or they can be created as lasting entities usable as communities.
Ranking:
  • This feature uploads scores so users can get the relative rankings. Rankings can be calculated for only a certain period of time, or for only the scores of players registered in a certain group, and the score information can be periodically reset.
Data Store:
  • This is a network storage feature. Any data can be optionally saved to the game server. This saved data can be tagged, searched, and appended with ratings and the like.
Subscriber:
  • This is a messaging feature based on the publish-subscribe pattern. It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application.

This may be the primary reason we're being asked to pay for online services now.

Nintendo Switch hardware specifications:
Rrn8tJC.png

Source on reddit.

Oh boy, here we go! Thanks for the info OP!

This looks incredibly real, would be very time consuming to fake this but we are now in the era of 3D printed fakes, so who knows.

EDIT: Web applet is good to hear, means connecting to public wifi will be fine with no browser. Max game card being 32GB is less good to hear, hopefully that increases soon (or already has). Still very surprised this is seemingly a bog standard Jetson TX1.

EDIT2: Ah from July 15th. Curious what has changed, but yeah this looks super legit.

z0m3le

Banned
This is from July 15th IIRC.

EDIT: here it is, July 15th, so this isn't the final devkit, makes some sense with some of the features too like disabled SD card slot... It tells us a lot of new stuff, but not the final configuration.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Isn't a lot this exactly what was rumored before?

Berordn

This tidbit:

There are NO plans to provide an Internet Browser at this stage but developers are able to access a web applet to display specific websites within their game/app

Is pretty interesting, especially with the concern over being able to access hotspots with landing pages.

oti

Banned
This tidbit:

Is pretty interesting, especially with the concern over being able to access hotspots with landing pages.

So does this mean there could be another Cube Ninja or whatever that game was called to hack the system after all?

Fake/old...this is listing 4K video output but it's been confirmed the dock only has HDMI 1.4 therefore it can't output 4K AFAIK

pulsemyne

32GB is not a lot for being the biggest game size available.

Compression means 32 gigs is fine. Few developers seem to bother using it these days but a good compression technique, especially from cartridges, means that 32 gigs should be enough. Besides you aren't going to be using very high quality textures on switch games.

Oregano

This tidbit:

Yeah hopefully that means it will open an applet in Wi-Fi management but I'm not sure how that would work.

Surely they could just make a browser... Are they really that afraid of hacking.

Also never doubting Vern again.:p

Chindogg

Compression means 32 gigs is fine. Few developers seem to bother using it these days but a good compression technique, especially from cartridges, means that 32 gigs should be enough. Besides you aren't going to be using very high quality textures on switch games.

Also this is at launch. There's nothing preventing them from supporting higher capacity cards via a firmware update.

Yeah hopefully that means it will open an applet in Wi-Fi management but I'm not sure how that would work.

Surely they could just make a browser... Are they really that afraid of hacking.

Also never doubting Vern again.:p

The browser will probably be it's own isolated app rather than baked into the OS, preventing exploits.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Assuming #TeamReal is the winner here my biggest worry about the actual specs beyond downclocks for handheld mode is the bandwidth. Going with Pascal to get that double bandwidth would have been sooo much better all things being equal elsewhere.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The NX Overview document is, yeah. The dates are in the filenames:

http://www.filedropper.com/nx-overview-13-20160715-en-private
http://www.filedropper.com/nx-systemfeaturesguide-11-20160930-en-private
http://www.filedropper.com/nx-sdevquickstart-32-20160729-en-private

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The Switch features a Quick Menu. Press and hold the HOME Button for at least one second to display the Quick Settings screen on top of all other screens, including the HOME Menu and any applications. Unlike the 3DS, the active software will not be suspended when this menu is invoked

3DS > Switch if true

Trago

32GB is not a lot for being the biggest game size available.

Considering how multiplats (if any) will definitely have lower quality assets, I think 32GB is probably fine. I don't expect many first party games to hit that limit.

jxN3

Can we just take a second to appreciate how hot that dev kit is? Damn, gimmie that black on black Switch.

Bless your soul Dystify! It's insane that we need leaks like this to show us how the Switch will work on day one. I really dig that quick menu screen, and it lines up with what they've shown us before.

Please give us an official Direct with this information! Please Nintendo!

3DS > Switch if true

The image that Nicalis tweeted, and then deleted, seemd to show the Switch, in handheld mode, on it's home menu while a game was suspended. I feel like this may be out-of-date information, given that it dates back to July.

EDIT: Re-reading that, I think I completely misunderstood. The quick menu is something akin to the new quick menu you get on PS4 when you double-tap the PS button. When you go back to the full home menu, which is what is in the picture I just posted above, I imagine the game gets fully suspended.

EDIT: here it is, July 15th, so this isn't the final devkit, makes some sense with some of the features too like disabled SD card slot... It tells us a lot of new stuff, but not the final configuration.

Really weird... this info is from July 15th from NWPlayer, who was adamant before October that the NX was not using any Nvidia hardware...

Something definitely doesn't add up here.

EDIT: Ah NWPlayer only got this info now? That would make sense then.

So does this rhyme with the Digital Foundry leaks from late last year in regards to power?
Yep. DF Specs:
CPU: Four ARM Cortex A57 cores, max 2GHz
GPU: 256 CUDA cores, maximum 1GHz
Architecture: Nvidia second generation Maxwell
Texture: 16 pixels/cycle
Fill: 14.4 pixels/cycle
Memory: 4GB
Memory Bandwidth: 25.6GB/s
VRAM: shared
System memory: 32GB, max transfer rate: 400MB/s
USB: USB 2.0/3.0
Video output: 1080p60/4K30
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

bumpkin

Interesting stuff, here.

Of course the software developer in me gets pissed that whoever "leaked" this stuff is likely under an NDA and shat all over it anyways by putting this documentation out there.

Top Bottom