• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2: as fast as the PS4, with DLSS and 4K at 30 FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could write better more believable rumor, with blackjack and hookers.
blackjack hookers GIF

xrnzaaas

Switch 2 needs to be have a big bump in performance, especially with the Steam Deck being a good alternative for those wanting a powerful handheld device (assuming you're not buying the thing just to play Nintendo games).

As fast as the PS4 and 4K with 30fps?

lol. People who make this stuff up really should learn more about DLSS and what it does and does not do.
This threads details appear wrong on many aspects but DF already talked about how 4k is possible with DLSS on a Switch 2. Anyway it should be ball park PS4 performance because the Switch 2 will use an Nvidia Ampere GPU(same architecture as the 3080). The PS4 uses an ancient 11 year old GPU(AMDs GCN), technically the Switch 1s GPU architecture (Maxwell what the 980 and 970 used) was much better too but it was power limited to 15W because the Switch runs on a battery.

CPU use it should also do well as it uses an Arm Hercules CPU while the PS4 uses an extremely slow AMD Jaguar CPU. That said I do not expect 16GB of ram(The Switch's 2 Tegra chipset supports 16GB but I don't expect it in the same way the Switch 1 didn't have 8GB like current gen consoles altho ram is cheap right now so it might make sense), I pray the screen is still 720p that would be fantastic for handheld performance.

I seriously doubt Nintendo’s kept a 2023-bound new console a total secret up to now. Once you let partners know (which you have to order to have any third-party support at launch, a minimum of 18 months before launch at least), there’s just a certain amount of info that inevitably starts to trickle out. I don’t think they’ve magically kept everyone bound to their NDAs 6 months out from a new console launch. 😂

But love the sound of 16GB ram and PS4-like performance. For a handheld? Yeah I’ll bite. I’d gladly go with a new Nintendo handheld over buying a Steam Deck, if these specs are close to accurate.

Either way, I’m glad my OG Switch still works, because I have no desire for an OLED without any spec increase. I feel like even if this is mostly fake, a new Switch with higher specs can’t be more than 12-18 months away from now, at this point.

March 2024 will mark 8 years since the Switch. I don’t think they’re gonna go any longer than that without a new generation.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Hooray for hardware rumors and "leaks." Believe nothing, entertain everything. Nintendo is especially fun during leaks season because they are so unpredictable.

Anyway, the leak seems believable, if only for how restrained the predictions are. Portable PS4, plus DLSS and ray tracing hardware that is, practically speaking, not strong enough to actually implement ray tracing in most games (though I wonder if some HD ports, like Wind Waker or Mario Sunshine wouldn't make the effort).

hussar16

the only way i see nintendo having as much success with switch 2 as switch 1 is if it sells for like 250 $ anything over 300$ and it wont be that much of a success. people dont want to buy another console but if its a cheap upgrade they could do it

ultrazilla

Gold Member

At least they tried to dress up the fanboy wish list with pseudo "tech talk". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nintendo seems to like performance over resolution so the "4k/30fps" seems doable IMO doesn't fit. If it said 2k/60fps I'd be more inclined to believe that's something
Nintendo would rather target(and hope they do).

Raytracing support is IMO a waste of time and development resources. The tech may "eventually" get "there" but it finding any type of success on a Nintendo console already constrained by
its' form factor/lower tech specs is unlikely.

The system needs backwards compatibility or at least the ability to patch OG Switch games to run on it. This is a must. Simply put, if Nintendo doesn't embrace backwards compatibility of some sort, the
system will be dead on arrival.

Mountains of salt with this "leak" but hey, it's fun to speculate.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Making the screen 1080p
Is a fucking waste of battery time..
And horsepower on handheld.

This thread is dumb af 🤣

Last edited:
Even though my bull detector is firing, some points could be legit.

1080p screen, ok. Makes sense. Especially if the device is larger, for example.

4k 30 fps. Makes no sense, but it could be the teorical output limit.

DLSS....ehhhhh. Is EVERY game going to be trained on Nvidia's supercomputers ??? Even the most trashy ones on the online store? I really don't think DLSS is going to be a thing on the future switch, at least not how it currently works.

Ray tracing that mostly will go unused.... This actually makes sense if they are using or adapting an existing chip. Would probably already have some silicon dedicated to RT. Of course its usage would have to be limited due to performance and power.

That whole thing on the CCDs and what not is so absurd I almost believe it is Nintendo.

So...yes I think it's unlikely but I've seen worse takes on it.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Launching right after Zelda without an upgraded version to help sell the system. Wow have to be really stupid to believe that.

Astral Dog

Making the screen 1080p
Is a fucking waste of battery time..
And horsepower on handheld.

This thread is dumb af 🤣
It is,but if there wasn't a clear upgrade, everybody would complain, it also shows the DLSS feature on a 1080p screen

Nintendo is always careful about battery life, im sure they took the screen into account when designing the system, so it won't be a Steam Deck

Last edited:

Woopah

the only way i see nintendo having as much success with switch 2 as switch 1 is if it sells for like 250 $ anything over 300$ and it wont be that much of a success. people dont want to buy another console but if its a cheap upgrade they could do it
With the way Switch OLED sells at $350, Switch 2 will be $400 at the bare minimum. No way it launches lower than the original Switch's price.

If you asked me to make up a list of features a Switch 2 would have.. I'd probably have written something close to this.

Like. Maybe this is true, but unless you've got some evidence or leaked images of it this isn't particularly compelling.

I always remember the time I went to Nintendo for a meeting, had to play an early prototype of switch. Holding both controller to move some balls on screen…. The guy keep asking “can u feel the position of the ball with the controller feedback”
Oh yeah sure sure….
Anything Nintendo say will be a lot less. Had similar experience with the Wii U prototype.
That’s why they don’t call me anymore 😂

TLZ

Banned
Guy went on Famiboards and said he made all that up.

Hi everyone! I'm posting here for the first time to say that, yup, the "Hawk" 4chan leak was fake. I wrote it. The title is a HMAC-SHA1 hash with the key HWK info 4 ya :) and the message beautiful DLSS future awaits. Sorry for doing that.

Most people here seemed very skeptical of the "leak," and I haven't seen anyone here buy into it 100%. However, today I saw someone on Twitter tweet it out at someone, and apparently a few small gaming news websites have written about it too. To anyone who I deceived (and I know that some of you are lurking here in the shadows), I'm sorry. This was just a creative exercise that I decided to post as a "leak" because I wanted to see what people thought of it. I was disappointed at first when it was ignored, but honestly, I felt kind of relieved too. I shouldn't have framed my predictions in a way that was dishonest.

The specs that I wrote out were definitely based on the discussions that were held here, but what's kind of funny is that some of those apparent connections were actually unintentional. I wrote most of that stuff in mid-February, but I didn't post it because there were already lots of rumors flying around, like the Drake cancellation rumor. So, I waited a bit longer to post it... and then the Pokemon rumor happened. So I waited some more, and then people started talking about a patent for a controller that can store save data. A couple of people mentioned that they wanted Streetpass to return, too. Oof. And yeah, the SCD similarity was unintentional. I'd never heard of that before.

Two other things that I want to clear up, in case anyone's still wondering about them: the CCD thing was basically just a description of Streetpass with smartphone support, with the extra possibility of future accessories supporting it too. Software-based gimmicks (such as optional smartphone features) seem like a great way to innovate and expand the reach of Nintendo's IP, in my opinion. Second, the "H" in "HLZ" was just mean to stand for the codename of the system, Hawk. I didn't imagine it as being anything more than a LZ-compressed file with a custom header. It was interesting to read about hierarchal and hybrid LZ compression though.

Since this is probably going to be my final post here, here are some hardware ideas that I think would be cool to see, even if they're not actually useful or viable:
  • A right stick that can be rotated when it's in its neutral position.
  • A small square-shaped button that's actually a screen. Like, one that you can press down on! Games could change its display to show what the button does, and it could even show visual cues related to whatever's going on in the game. Maybe it could match the color scheme of its Joy-Con.
  • A screen that can display pictures using infrared light. Imagine if you could just scan a QR code on someone else's screen without the need for any visible clutter? This wouldn't really work for a hybrid system, but it could be neat for a handheld.

So yeah, that's that. Goodbye, and take care!

/Thread.

LakeOf9

Why the laugh?

Not surpassing PS4 would almost be an insult for Nvidia.

Why?

The Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chip that will be used for the upcoming CHEAP Quest 3 & Pico 5 and a ton of smartphones. Will have 2.4TFlops, ray tracing and tensor cores, +30% more powerful than base PS4 and with a much more modern feature set and better CPUs.

If Nvidia cannot compete with Qualcomm's mass produced (cheap) mobile gaming chip of 2023, they might as well stop the mobile business.

I don't believe the 4chan rumor, but beating PS4 should be the least shocking thing out of all those statements.
The laugh is not at it hitting PS4 levels (that's more or less the bare minimum this thing should hit), it's at the fact that PS4 level hardware is expected to do 4K30fps with at least some level of raytracing

That is a literal impossibility lol (and no, DLSS won't help cover for that either)

EDIT: Anyway, as expected, fake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom