• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Mirage sponsored by Intel, Arc GPUs, XeSS support only, (Update: DLSS and FRS confirmed to be there)

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

buenoblue

Like I said in the Starfield thread, this is 100% on the devs/publishers. Just because Intel/AMD offer sponsorship money the devs don't have to take it.

Melon Husk

GPU wars... GPU wars never change

what does 'the way it's meant to be played' mean?

Genx87 Jul 25, 2003
It's a marketing ploy worked out between nVidia and the game's publisher. It means the developer gets nVidia hardware to work on, and the publisher adds that "Way to Play" logo everywhere possible. In short, it's just advertising.

I wouldnt go that far. They also get help in coding and compilers from Nvidia. Play Dark Ages on Camelot on an Nvidia card then a 9800 Pro. There are a lot of issues with the R3.xx cards rendering certain effects or just hardlocking. I was in the battlegrounds one night and this guy was bragging about his new 9700 Pro. "It was a sweet video card when it works" he said. Then he crapped out again. The poor guy took a dump 8 times in a single hour. Meanwhile my Ti4600 is working flawlessly and smooth as hell.

I believe some games, like NeverWinter Nights and Splinter Cell, may look better with one IHV's cards than another's simply because the developer didn't take the time to code certain effects for each architecture.

Ok you first stated it was a marketing ploy but then admit the game will probably work better on the card that the game dev got help from.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
XeSS works on Nvidia cards as long as the game supports it, right? Better than nothing, I guess.

Still, the fact we're seeing this crap with upscaling exclusivity is annoying.

And I'm sure Ubisoft is happy to cash a check from Intel for this.

Last edited:
Locking away tech is stupid. What are you supposed to do, hot swap your graphics card depending on what game you launch?
I'm glad I'm not really into pc gaming anymore.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, this confirms that Intel is still in the gpu game. That’s a good thing. Just need to get their next gpus up and out

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
XeSS works on nVidia doesn't it?

I think it works in AMD too but the performance isn't good/worth it, right?

From what I have seen XeSS is much more of a DLSS competitor than FSR is.

hinch7

Locking away tech is stupid. What are you supposed to do, hot swap your graphics card depending on what game you launch?
I'm glad I'm not really into pc gaming anymore.
XeSS works on most modern GPU's
Fascinating.
Not really. XeSS has better image quality than FSR and far closer to DLSS than the latter. I'm going by my own experience and there's a whole bunch of comparisons online. Its also hardware agnostic like FSR.

Last edited:

M0G

I thought PS5 doesn't have quick resume? Or was it added in a beta firmware thing recently? If so that's cool
Okay that's my bad. I mean the standby mode, where you can just turn the console back on and start playing the last game you were playing. I normally only have one game on the go at one time on PS5 so I thought that was what that was called.

Kenpachii

xess looks miles better then FSR so its not that bad. Works on all cards.

The main issue is how shit is the game really going to run at the end. DLSS framegen would have been a absolute useful feature as there games often tank on the CPU department.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
After the innovation of timed exclusive games, the Industry is throwing us another grade L innovation: timed exclusive features.

phant0m

Although a three way tug of war over these deals is going to get really old, really quick, this one doesn't seem like such a big deal. If we're talking about upscalers. I'm going PS5 on this one for that quick resume convenience.
Same. I hate these exclusivity of marquee features on PC. It’s not some small enhancement like TressFX. DLSS and FSR are big deals that affect performance and frame rate across the board.

If a dev just doesn’t want implement one (or all) of them because they don’t have the time or resources that’s fine. But not implementing two because they “partnered” with one vendor is horseshit to the highest degree.

I don’t even think it gains the vendor any market share, it basically just punishes users of competing technologies.

Last edited:
This is great. The more competitors there are on the dGPU market, the more fragmented graphical feature support becomes with these deals. Up until now, basically every owner of a dGPU could be assured around 50% of the games have an "exclusive" feature baked in for his favourite GPU brand. Soon it's gonna be 33%. Then 25%. And so on.

What's the point of these deals? Are we supposed to own one card from AMD, Nvidia and Intel and swap them in and out depending on the game. These exclusive deals are misplaced on an open platform like PC is. Just offer the best upscaler/performance for a competitive edge, the argument for your card, not try to make a kinda walled garden.

It's not quite as extreme as that since FSR and XeSS work on all GPUs.

Best option is to just buy an NVIDIA GPU. DLSS is almost unanimously considered to be far the best upscaling solution anyway, offering better image quality, especially in motion, more features than its rivals (frame generation and soon enhanced RT) and even if a game doesn't ship with DLSS then a mod will likely arrive within a day of the game's release anyway.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Well I will skip it until it is cheap. Why the fuck do devs/publishers think it is oK to not include tech that gamers paid over 1k to have just to support some marketing crap? It makes no difference to people buying GPUs but it pisses off gamers who already have one.

I treat this behaviour as I do with Epic exclusive games: it just makes me dislike your company and avoid your games completely, even after you come to your senses.

Sleepwalker

The game has comparatively light hardware requirements so most people don't actually need DLSS to improve frame rate.

ASASSINS-CREED-MIRAGE-PC-SPECS.jpg

Yeah this thing will probably run at 4k 100+ fps native on my 4080 if a 3080 is all it takes for 4k60.

XeSS is also decent, so im not too worried.

Kenpachii

I want DLSS because of image quality even if it doesn't add towards the framerate.

Also dlss 3.0, would be glorious.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
UPDATE
This article has been updated after Ubisoft confirmed support for DLSS and FSR: “You’ll also be able to leverage features like Intel’s AI-assisted XeSS Super Sampling, Nvidia DLSS, or AMD FSR — Ubisoft.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Why the fuck do devs/publishers think it is oK to not include tech that gamers paid over 1k
Whatever you paid is your choice, nobody has an obligation to spend extra resources to implement something on an engine level just so you feel good about spending money.

GymWolf

It must feel strange for them to only have xess support and stil not being the biggest pc porting fuck up of the year...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
UPDATE
This article has been updated after Ubisoft confirmed support for DLSS and FSR: “You’ll also be able to leverage features like Intel’s AI-assisted XeSS Super Sampling, Nvidia DLSS, or AMD FSR — Ubisoft.

Good news. OPP should change the title of this thread.

Kenpachii

Well with the new news that DLSS will be supported, i ended up preordering the game. Need myself some assassin creed at the end of the day.

And just like that, the sheeple are arguing over which fakenology is best. Guess you can learn shit from politicians.

Last edited:

Famipan

Great!

People have to stop buying Nvidia cards in order for Nvidia's prices to go down.

XeSS works on Nvidia and AMD too which is great.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After looking at a few recent videos comparing xess vs fsr and dlss on an NVIDIA GPU I can say xess looks like trash, it's even noticeably worse than fsr 2.2.
Hahahaha bullshit.
XeSS is leagues ahead of FSR2.2 and not that far behind DLSS.

Top Bottom