• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie's response video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, sometimes it is just really, really hard for someone to apologize, reflect and pledge to learn from errors in judgment.
I mean, in the video he literally says multiple times that this is what he's doing.

I'm not even remotely a fan of his but you should probably atleast watch the video beyond the first four minutes.

Finished the whole thing.

Youtube apology videos are an art. The half-hearted apology attempt, the rallying of supporters, the missing of context. Good for you, Pewds. Learn nothing, lament the focus on your wealth. Go back to quietly giving to charity (and then complaining about it).

Charity is amazing PR

BearPawB

Banned
Didn't the WSJ just report on WHY disney dumped him?
The WSJ wasn't the reason disney decided to remove him from their network

peronmls

Good video good guy. He really loves his fans. I wish the best for him as I'm sure more stupid media attacks will come.

bw5bfql.jpg

So cringeworthy.

Watched the whole thing. Very lame. Basically comes down to "I didn't mean any harm, therefore there is no harm. I didn't normalize hatred because I'm not a racist." Like bro, the net effect of this is that an image that says "Death to all jews" circulated far and wide. That's the definition of normalizing hatred.

The other thing he doesn't get is that it's not about whether he "is" a racist or anti-semite or not. He *did* propagate an anti-semitic message. No one can see into his heart, and while I believe the guy doesn't have bad intentions, you know what they say about intentions. Think a little bit more about the shit you do dude.

Also the whole "The media hates us!" thing is lame. I'll concede some of the examples the WSJ used were far-fetched, and that anyone who actually watched the video in question would know the intent of the joke. But the WSJs whole point was that he uses anti-semitic imagery, not that he is an actual nazi.

Yeah, watched it a little bit ago.

TL;DW: he apologizes for his comments for 5 seconds, then goes on a long rant about how the media is out to get him, he's not normalizing hate speech, etc.. Basically blaming everything except himself.

He honestly ends up sounding a lot like Trump with his inability to actually own up to his own mistakes. Also, the YT comments are filled to the brim with Trump supporters, or at least people with the same attitude as them. Lots of "fake news", "down with the MSM", etc. type of comments.

Piggus

Being sorry means not blaming other people for backlash against your decision to be an asshole, in context or out of context.

I don't think you're really in tune with how media outlets look for "outrageous" stuff in order to put together a clickbait story. When it comes to stories on pop culture, it's literally that "Scientist cures cancer" pic.

Kyoufu

Dude should just appologize and mean it... but he doesn't feel he did anything wrong and wants to blame others. Take responsibility, even just some if you don't want to take it all. Man, what a shame.

He clearly apologises and admits he fucked up.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread aren't watching the whole video.

Moobabe

So then, aren't other media outlets right to criticize his behavior? I'm just not following the logic of that original point.

Well, his original point was that the media hates influencers.

I'm saying that (regardless of his actions in this specific instance) he's right.

In this instance, though, sure - people and outlets are of course right to call out bullshit, or report on it.

royox

I usually hate this kind of people (youtubers, attentionwhores, etc) but god dammit he's god damn right at everything he said.

His eyes were red during the whole thing, this guy was crying seconds before recording this.

Wow. Less than a minute in, and he's blaming the media for only ever talking about how much money he makes.

Jfc.

This isn't the first time that pewdddiieepiee *cut* has blamed his own controversy on the media being scared *cut* of him and other influencers *cut*.

The media twist was pretty insane, I agree with him. I watch a lot of his stuff and boy were things taken out of context. And he apologized for when he did go too far. All good in my book.

Tigress

Did you even watch the video? He said sorry for the words he used in the video and that it was a mistake to try to push those boundaries.

Honestly, he should have done that first. If he really wants to address the people upset by it, they're not going to watch 11 minutes of video where he keeps focusing on media to find the one spot he actually apologizes.

I'd say the video seems more to be wanting to speak to the choir so to speak (the people who already agree with him).

Personally, I don't know him much, I suspect it was a really bad joke. And I'm not upset he lost some deals over it to tell the truth (that kind of thing shouldn't be normalized even if he "didn't mean it". It still normalizes it to act like it's ok to make dumb jokes like that about it - it would be one thing if he was tryign to say he was actually trying to make fun of people with that attitude and people misunderstood the joke but his angle seems to be that the media is taking him out of proportion). I mean that sucks for him but honestly, I feel it should be pretty obvious that was not done in good taste at the very least and would not go over well. Nor do I think it should go over well (I don't want to see it normalized that way. People should be horrified at the implication).

But honestly, it amazes me he thought it would be an ok joke to do. This video isn't making me think he even gets why people thought it was really bad and I really doubt it will make people who think he's an actual nazi think they were wrong or that the media got it wrong. The video makes me think he just is upset people are upset.

So yeah, I don't necessarily think he's a bad person. But I am not sorry that the backlash hit him like this either. It was extremely stupid and unempathetic of the implications and we shouldn't just treat it as some normal thing.

Uhyve

People have made up their minds based on their assumptions, not what actually happened, it seems.
Yeah, it's almost like only the titles of articles matter, like a video I recently actually watched said.

Honestly, he should have done that first. If he really wants to address the people upset by it, they're not going to watch 11 minutes of video where he keeps focusing on media to find the one spot he actually apologizes.

I'd say the video seems more to be wanting to speak to the choir so to speak (the people who already agree with him).
Not saying you didn't watch the video, but it's just a funny choice of words since the first thing he says in the video is:
"I think there's gonna be a lot of eyes on me during this video, so I'm going to address this as though I'm talking publicly and not directly to my audience"

oti

Banned
Maybe he's right. Maybe this really is a dispute between generations. One generation that believes there's stuff that just isn't funny and isn't to be used to make "entertainment" and the other generation that believes everything goes and that "it's just jokes you guys I don't mean it when I say it".

Either way, the Pewdiepie generation is wrong on this one and I hope they'll understand that once they grow up.

I don't know, the thing that gets me is that his content wasn't ever particularly noteworthy or interesting. So couldn't he just have kept being a bland content creator without having to offend people?

What he did obviously wasn't smart.

But, I mean, he's not wrong. 'Legacy' media hates 'new' media, rightfully or wrongfully and it's hard to argue that did not color their coverage of this fiasco. And they absolutely did, seemingly deliberately, present things in an out of context way to make it look worse than it was.

WSJ gave plenty of context to this antisemitic joke.

pewdiepie_jews_fuck_jesus_over_antisemitic_joke_by_digi_matrix-daz95tn.gif

The context btw: fiverr is an Israel-based platform, and this is his way of criticising fiverr for shutting down the Jesus guy who is paid to say "Hitler did nothing wrong".

I'm further into the video and he's talking about how most of the things he said that were taken out of context were actually clips where he was demonstrating that context was key. The irony in that is off the charts.

Also, I had no idea that they took the image of him pointing (with his actual hand off-camera) and played it out like he was giving a Nazi salute. That's pretty disgusting of them.

I don't think you're really in tune with how media outlets look for "outrageous" stuff in order to put together a clickbait story. When it comes to stories on pop culture, it's literally that "Scientist cures cancer" pic.

I don't think whether media outlets are looking for clicks is relevant when you're apologizing for your own behavior.

Piggus

The media twist was pretty insane, I agree with him. I watch a lot of his stuff and boy were things taken out of context. And he apologized for when he did go too far. All good in my book.

God forbid other people do the same and come to a conclusion that isn't fully influenced by one side or the other.

This is another typical "people take a joke made in poor taste and mistake it with actual hatred" kinda of thing.

And don't misconstrue me here, the jokes absolutely were too far and he does rightfully apologize for it and should tone it down going forward. But at the same time I think it's clear accusations that he's a direct fascist/nazi are projection at best and in some cases deliberate clickbait by certain outlets. While I think people should have the right to say "Hey dude, too far", at the same time we can't assume that everyone who does take a step too far is doing so with malicious intent.

Harmen

Crossposting from the other thread:

I think his response video is good and in the right and offcourse he blames the media. Those who have been watching him lately know that the media has not been kind to him during the last couple of years and it is kind of obvious. And I can't blame him for, you know, caring about how the media portrays you. The way they reported on this story is kind of obvious in my opinion. The reason the WSJ story is there in the first place is good (stating there are problematic jokes in his content), but the way they do/did their "journalism" is piss poor in my opinion.

The only thing I disagree with in this vid is that jokes cannot normalize racism, because I believe this can definitely happen (see internet trolls).

He admits his jokes went too far and says he will do his best to do better. Furthermore, he understands the decision made by Disney and YouTube regarding their response.

_woLf

This guy is a moron. Not a real apology, blamed the media, flips off the camera....

He doesn't care and is laughing all the way to the bank. I am so fucking tired of rich assholes blaming the media for their problems. It's extremely dangerous and he's feeding into Trump's crusade against free press.

It's awful.

Well, his original point was that the media hates influencers.

I'm saying that (regardless of his actions in this specific instance) he's right.

In this instance, though, sure - people and outlets are of course right to call out bullshit, or report on it.

What?

That is not the case at all. The "media" (ooooh scaaaary) loves people with influence it's how they make their money and get their stories.

People who do stupid shit and get caught or called out by the "media" always latch on to this lame ass excuse. And people still buy in and we wonder why attitudes towards this kind of shit just get worse and worse.

Can't watch at work.

Does he swear he has tons of Jewish friends?

You don't even know what this is about. It's similar to accusing John Cleese for nazism for that bit in Fawlty Towers.

If you warch the entire video's that the clips are from, it is clear as fucking day.

This guy is a moron. Not a real apology, blamed the media, flips off the camera....

He doesn't care and is laughing all the way to the bank. I am so fucking tired of rich assholes blaming the media for their problems. It's extremely dangerous and he's feeding into Trump's crusade against free press.

It's awful.

He should apologize for maybe offending people who saw the out of context clips and reports, but he shouldn't have to defend being a racist or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom