• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to possibly allow local game update sharing

via the Nintendo Switch subreddit, someone claims to have poked around in the Switch's home menu during a hands-on session

The gist is that if you're playing locally with friends and some of them haven't updated their game yet, you can locally update from them instead of downloading it from the internet.

The first option in the sub menu was your typical Update the Game via Internet Connection but the second option was Update the Game via Local Friend. (This is not verbatim but to that effect). And that second option had a little caption underneath mentioning that this feature would be available in a future update.

This is a very cool idea Nintendo came up with. It allows you to eventually be able to take Game Updates from your Friends who have downloaded the update without you yourself downloading from the internet. I can imagine the use case would be for games like Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8: Deluxe. If one of your friends has an update to the game and the rest of you haven't downloaded it yet, you can all just update your game from that friend locally especially if the game requires that you all be on the same version to play local multiplayer.

I have no idea if this is legit but I suppose with the preview embargo lifting in a few hours we might find out.

L~A

That would be a really neat option, especially since I assume "download" speeds would be much better than via Wifi (not to mention you'd be able to update even without an internet connection).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They had that peer-to-peer updates possibility in the SCD patent if I remember correctly. I guess this is one implementation of it.

Illucio

Banned
Wow that actually solves a lot of problems moving with the current climate of Internet connection in a lot of areas in the world.

Good job.

Cartho

Sounds lame

NzzDEC5.gif

This actually seems like a really good feature. Smart thinking from Nintendo if true.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hack game > patch stranger on a bus

It would be funny tho to update a friends game with cracked code just to see what happens.

Bluth54

I'm surprised Nintendo would allow something like this, it seems like it could be a possible vector for hacking the system.

Would it not take more space if you have to keep a downloadable file alongside an installed patch?

Still though, good idea for easy local multiplayer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember when there were rumours/fears that if someone with the latest firmware streetpassed someone who hasn't updated their 3DS it would send the update to them.

jonno394

As long as it is optional.

I imagine it's to avoid situations where people want to play local multiplayer, person A has V1.0 of a game and person B has V1.5 of the game and they can't play against each other as their versions are incompatible.

Then they may be in a location where there's no Wi-Fi to update over, so they allow updating from your friends update data.

hoserx

Because 99% of the time you'll already have the patch downloaded already. Internet is ubiquitous in this day and age.

Maybe for you? Some people aren't surrounded by wi-fi continually....... and if this is how you feel, maybe say that next time instead of "sounds lame".

Plum

Makes perfect sense for a portable system in the age of updates, wonder when it'll actually be implemented.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'll wait for an official confirmation. Sounds too good to be true.

batfax

Because 99% of the time you'll already have the patch downloaded already. Internet is ubiquitous in this day and age.

What if you have friends who don't game as heavily and missed an update before a meet-up? Or are in an area where high speed is a premium, which it still very much is in a lot of regions in the US?

shiyrley

Banned
Your post is lame as fuck.

How, in any world, is this lame? That's a clever feature more than anything else.
I'm 100% sure that if this option wasn't included, he would be complaining as soon as someone posted "I can't play locally with my friend at this game with different versions of the game", complaining about how didn't Nintendo implement this.

Semi-off topic, but have they mentioned anything about download play for multiplayer? I'm assuming it's not happening, but I haven't really thought of it until now.

Terrell

While this is only useful to people who will be playing their Switch out and about, it could ease the burden on those with data caps, so that's a win.

Top Bottom