• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New performance mode boosts Switch mobile clocks by 25 per cent

mocoworm

I'm on mobile, way too much to type. Info is here. Read the whole article, there is a LOT of new info:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent

Mere days away from the Nintendo Switch's launch, elements of uncertainty still surround the final technical specifications for the new console - but a massive leak of Nintendo's developer documentation, along with a teardown of retail hardware by a Chinese parts firm may well have given the game away. Meanwhile, new information we've sourced reveals final tweaks Nintendo has made to hardware performance in the run-up to the console's release.

The key addition is a new mode seemingly designed to beef up handheld performance. Developers can opt for a 384MHz GPU clock - a straight 25 per cent uplift in compute power compared to the default 307.2MHz option. Both frequencies are available to developers in what it calls 'normal mode' operation - and to be clear, users will not be able to choose between them. Additionally, adjustments have been made to available memory bandwidth. In our prior story, we revealed that in undocked mode, developers could choose between running the LPDDR4 memory at either 1600MHz or 1331.2MHz. The 1600MHz option is now only available in 'boost mode' - when Switch is docked - while 1600MHz support in mobile mode is deprecated. As before, developers can opt to run handheld modes while in the dock too, and to be clear, the documentation has no new modes for docked performance. On top of that, we should stress that not all games will use the 384MHz GPU mobile mode - game-makers will choose the best fit for their projects, and 307.2MHz remains the default option.

LordKano

With a couple of exceptions, the Foxconn leak has proved highly accurate in describing the internal configuration of the Switch right down to the shape of the heatpipe and the capacity of the battery, but it also suggests that the Nvidia Tegra processor was tested for several days straight with CPU clocks operating at 1.78GHz and the GPU pushed to 921MHz.

Quick, TechGAF, what does this mean ?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Was the FoxCon leak correct?!?!???

No.

However, as much as we want the Foxconn clocks to be real, the weight of evidence is stacking up against this aspect of the leak. To maintain meaningful battery life with those clocks, we'd need to be looking at a 16nm FinFET chip and maybe even a new revision of the ARM CPU cores, and the Chinese teardown of the processor confirms that the physical size of the chip is seemingly unchanged from existing 20nm Tegra X1 SoC.

The difference between 16nm and 20nm isn't actually about transistor size, but more about the 3D 'FinFET' transistors on the lower node. A 16nm SoC would be approximately the same size as the existing 20nm Tegra X1, but the difference here is that the teardown reveals a processor with seemingly identical dimensions. Also interesting is that the processor is surrounded by the same surface-mounted arrangement of what are likely to be decoupling capacitors, there to reduce noise on the power lines. The initial conclusion we have is that we are looking at a more lightly modified X1, still on the 20nm process, which ties in more closely with the clocks we reported - and indeed every non-Foxconn spec leak seen to date.

So can they do the same for docked mode?
Can they? Maybe. But they explicitly haven't, at least yet. Eurogamer says the docked mode is unchanged.

Was the FoxCon leak correct?!?!???
No. That leak had much higher clocks, so if this report is right, that one's wrong (for final hardware).

Also, while the GPU can be clocked higher, handheld mode no longer has a high-performance clock for RAM.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Boom goes the Foxconn fanfiction, as predicted.

Looks like Eurogamer were right all along.

Looks like it's partially derived from the teardown that's been discussed at length in this thread.

Still, providing devs the option to opt in for more power to help mobile performance is good foresight on Nintendo's part.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New clocks with additional clocks for mobile:

df25026rjww.jpg

Can they? Maybe. But they explicitly haven't, at least yet. Eurogamer says the docked mode is unchanged.

No. That leak had much higher clocks, so if this report is right, that one's wrong (for final hardware).

Also, while the GPU can be clocked higher, handheld mode no longer has a high-performance clock for RAM.

We will only find out after March 3, with certainty then?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It doesn't, the framerate drops are in console mode, not handheld.

It does, because if Zelda uses the higher mobile clocks then the gap in power compare to the docked mode is smaller and thus not enough to support direct increase in resolution without compromises.

Manoko

It does, because if Zelda uses the higher mobile clocks then the gap in power compare to the docked mode is smaller and thus not enough to support direct increase in resolution without compromises.

That's looking at it wrong: simply changing the docked rendering resolution back to 720p would solve the problem, increased clocks in mobile mode or not it doesn't matter.
The handheld mode doesn't suffer from as many framedrops apparently, handheld clocks weren't the problem for Zelda.

Foxconn leaks have the GPU performance at around 920MHz right? Isn't that a 25% improvement over what docked mode can do now? This may indicate that Nintendo could increase clocks for docked mode one day. I dunno.

Rodin

Nice. Now i'm wondering more than before if Zelda is already using this clock in docked mode instead of 768MHZ, which would explain those few drops at 900p. Would be great to see if draw distance etc is the same between docked and undocked, because that would pretty much confirm it.

Foxconn leaks have the GPU performance at around 920MHz right? Isn't that a 25% improvement over what docked mode can do now? This may indicate that Nintendo could increase clocks for docked mode one day. I dunno.

That's exactly 20% more. But hey, might be.

Boost clock portable= 384MHZ
Boost clock docked= 921MHZ

By the way, undocked is now 197 gflops (docked is 393, or 472 if the Foxconn clock gets confirmed too).

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
That's looking at it wrong: simply changing the docked resolution back to 720p would solve the problem, increased clocks in mobile mode or not it doesn't matter.

Output resolution is not the same as rendering resolution, changing the former does nothing for the latter.

Zedark

Quick, TechGAF, what does this mean ?

The Foxconn leak had a lot of physical features of the Switch correct = so many, in fact, that it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Foxconn leaker has held the Switch in his hands. That does not necessarily mean that his specs and GPU/CPU specs are correct, since these are not readily visible. Eurogamer now says that they are not correct, but that there is a boost in undocked mode, such that undocked is now 50% of docked mode potentially. This does not explain why Zelda is 900p with drops in docked mode: a steady 900p should have been possible if it were just an upres, so that is still a mystery.

Manoko

Output resolution is not the same as rendering resolution, changing the former does nothing for the latter.

Of course, I'm saying changing the 900p rendering resolution to 720p (still rendering resolution).

You understood me wrongly.
If I thought just changing the output resolution would work, I would simply have said to put it to 720p in the settings while in docked mode, which obviously doesn't help at all, it's just a downscale.

The Foxconn leak had a lot of physical features of the Switch correct = so many, in fact, that it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Foxconn leaker has held the Switch in his hands. That does not necessarily mean that his specs and GPU/CPU specs are correct, since these are not readily visible. Eurogamer now says that they are not correct, but that there is a boost in undocked mode, such that undocked is now 50% of docked mode potentially. This does not explain why Zelda is 900p with drops in docked mode: a steady 900p should have been possible if it were just an upres, so that is still a mystery.

Zelda has increased draw distance and other things in docked mode, right? Or was that just a rumor

I think the article is basically saying, in handheld mode - the system can use the same strength is when docked. This is developer access only, meaning it is based around the game code. The screen is still 720, so it can use the same horsepower as docked - but pushes a lower resolution, which probably helps performance of frames....

It's the ram part I'm fuzzy on

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's looking at it wrong: simply changing the docked resolution back to 720p would solve the problem, increased clocks in mobile mode or not it doesn't matter.
The handheld mode doesn't suffer from as many framedrops apparently, handheld clocks weren't the problem for Zelda.

Changing the resolution to 720p on Switch doesn't change the rendering resolution, just the output one. So there's no reason for the framerate to be better.

massucci

Banned
Ok this explains the Zelda performance and makes me ridiculously excited! GOAT handheld.
What you said here hasn't much sense. It's 720p on handheld mode, of course it runs better than 900p.
Changing the resolution to 720p on Switch doesn't change the rendering resolution, just the output one. So there's no reason for the framerate to be better.
I'm not sure to have understood at all.

Zedark

What Im reading and what Im excited?!?!?!?!

25% extra power for the handheld mode.
Zelda has increased draw distance and other things in docked mode, right? Or was that just a rumor
Not sure about that. I think a DF analysis of both modes will give the extend to which the docked mode is improved in terms of visual effects (I believe you are right about that, but I don't think that alone would solve the issue either - we need more settings increased I think).

Manoko

Again, of course... I'm saying that maintaining the rendering resolution to 720p even in docked mode would solve the framerate issues.

You put words in my mouth with output and rendering resolution.
It's pretty clear I've been talking about rendering resolution from the beginning, as output doesn't change performance, it's just downscales/upscales.

Oregano

Ah. Thanks for that. I never realised.

No problem.

I think the article is basically saying, in handheld mode - the system can use the same strength is when docked. This is developer access only, meaning it is based around the game code. The screen is still 720, so it can use the same horsepower as docked - but pushes a lower resolution, which probably helps performance of frames....

It's the ram part I'm fuzzy on

No, games in portable mode can run at a slightly higher clockrate if they need to. It's still around half the clockrate of the docked mode,

Top Bottom