• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild **SPOILER FREE** Impression Thread

SomTervo

Just told by my local ma n pa store that I can swing by and pick up my Switch on Thursday.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Will contribute late-stage thoughts then!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If I only experienced the first and last 10 minutes of a Zelda story, I personally don't feel I'd be missing much.

I think a good way to put it is as a game it's a journey the player goes on, knowing the exact enemies you will fight and how they fight, the musical surprises, seeing environments and soaking them in for the first time as you play is a very different experience from knowing a bunch of things in advance and knowing they are there so you get a oh when is this gonna happen ah there it is passive feeling spoilers bring.

It's not just about the story that is written it's a video game half the story is your experience with the journey through its visuals music narative and your personal struggles and acoplishments from start to end.

Off topic: Holy shit, I just watched a Switch commercial on the train (Hong Kong). I never saw this kind of thing here even though we are one of the launch places.

On topic: I am jealous of those people who can play it early. I hope you all enjoy the game and keep this place a safe haven. Thanks.

SomTervo

Quite frankly I'm hype as fuck for this game, it's what I've been craving from zelda since the series fell flat for me in OoT

A big open world like Zelda 1 where you are left to figure things out

And a good solid challenge like Zelda 2

The series has been stale on the challenge side of things since ALttP to me so it's nice to hear about people getting absolutely wrecked

You love your challenge QTT!

Adryuu

Maybe someone could answer three questions:

- how would you compare performance on Wii U vs Dragon's Dogma on ps3?
- what does the gamepad screen display while playing on tv?
- if gyroscope aiming is still in, is it well implemented, does it feel necessary (if you enjoy that kind of control)?

So is this the place to post my general feelings on the soundtrack? No spoilers, apparently there are spoilers in some of the song titles but I listened to it in its entirety twice without looking at the track titles for the most part

Rehynn

I am planning to play this game in Japanese, but have only been studying the language for 2 years. This means I will only be able to work through the text-heavy segments slowly.

My questions is: Can you pause scenes that feature voice acting?

SomTervo

Could the people above please stop talking about potential spoiler stuff?

Look at the goddamn name of the thread.

Like, edit it out of the thread and move it to PMs if you could.

So is this the place to post my general feelings on the soundtrack? No spoilers, apparently there are spoilers in some of the song titles but I listened to it in its entirety twice without looking at the track titles for the most part

Please don't. If you already listened to the entire soundtack and want to talk about it, go to the spoiler thread.

Hell Zelda 2 doesn't have ganon in it
But...he is on the Game Over screen. Of course there are plenty of other minor or even non-appearances like that in the franchise itself.

I assume this is wii u version? obviously since there's no jp language in pal wii u
Most simultaneous release first party games still have inaccessible Japanese, US English (and sometimes even Latin America Spanish and Canadian French) scripts.

Of course that is a list of voices instead and I don't know the behind the scenes on that (like did SSB have similar, I know a song was missing from non-JP versions...the only "new" Wario Ware song at that :*( ) but I do know those recent Fire Emblem things have been excluding Japanese voices from non-Japanese versions so it could be rights related things due to voice cast used.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You love your challenge QTT!
I can't do much irl physically so games have always been a place for me to exert energy and effort into and they give me a sense of wanderlust I just can't get irl anymore on my own do to health reasons.

I've always loved the feeling of accomplishing something and figuring things out and I'm very competitive as well

Honestly I'm disappointed hard mode is locked away until summer

skypunch

Banned
I think a good way to put it is as a game it's a journey the player goes on, knowing the exact enemies you will fight and how they fight, the musical surprises, seeing environments and soaking them in for the first time as you play is a very different experience from knowing a bunch of things in advance and knowing they are there so you get a oh when is this gonna happen ah there it is passive feeling spoilers bring.

It's not just about the story that is written it's a video game half the story is your experience with the journey through its visuals music narative and your personal struggles and acoplishments from start to end.

That's cool, I can understand that, but I guess I'm talking about the more conventional narrative. I'm not gonna feel emotion from chopping down a tree or getting through a dungeon. I personally don't ever see gameplay itself as the story. It doesn't evoke strong enough emotions within me.

When I play a Zelda game, I know for a fact the story isn't going to surprise me. The story of a Zelda game always reaches a middle bar and never goes past it, and that's okay, because I'm not asking for a deep story from Zelda; I have Xenoblade to provide me a story-focused experience.

weekev

Banned
Yeah I'm out of here. Even the non spoiler thread is slightly too spoily for me. I'll just need to contain my hype for 3 more days then have a zeldathon before I let myself back into the conversation.

But...he is on the Game Over screen. Of course there are plenty of other minor or even non-appearances like that in the franchise itself.

Most simultaneous release first party games still have inaccessible Japanese, US English (and sometimes even Latin America Spanish and Canadian French) scripts.

Of course that is a list of voices instead and I don't know the behind the scenes on that (like did SSB have similar, I know a song was missing from non-JP versions...the only "new" Wario Ware song at that :*( ) but I do know those recent Fire Emblem things have been excluding Japanese voices from non-Japanese versions so it could be rights related things due to voice cast used.

obviously, since the example you gave is on system with region locked. considering switch is non-region lock system and I recall some reviewer (sadly that guy isn't from EU) did show system language change from US English to JP = botw language display changed as well

lol wut

Is this a VA contract issue again?

it's wii u version (since he mentioned eu disc not cart) so i'm assume why bother to put non-accessible stuff in it, less space used

correojon

That's cool, I can understand that, but I guess I'm talking about the more conventional narrative. I'm not gonna feel emotion from chopping down a tree or getting through a dungeon. I personally don't ever see gameplay itself as the story. It doesn't evoke strong enough emotions within me.

When I play a Zelda game, I know for a fact the story isn't going to surprise me. The story of a Zelda game always reaches a middle bar and never goes past it, and that's okay, because I'm not asking for a deep story from Zelda; I have Xenoblade to provide me a story-focused experience.

I can understand that, for me it´s quite the opposite. Narrative driven games can instill some strong emotions, but I preffer playing through a game and LIVING the story instead of it being told to me. Take Sanctuary Fortress in MP2 as an example, the lore of the place is great, but going through it all beating rogue robots, the slow descent towards Quadraxis, the showdown with Dark Samus at the highest place of the world...playing through all that, soaking in the atmosphere, falling in the bottomless pits in the hive...those things are what really impacted me and left a lasting impression. BotW seems to go for something similar, in which you make your story (even though ultimately you are following a script), but it´s everything that I do in between cutscenes that will really create the story for me. With the huge world, sidequests, shrines, secrets and the million actions you can do in the game I´m excited I´m going to write my greatest Zelda story ever, as many others will do.

sirap

Maybe someone could answer three questions:

- how would you compare performance on Wii U vs Dragon's Dogma on ps3?
- what does the gamepad screen display while playing on tv?
- if gyroscope aiming is still in, is it well implemented, does it feel necessary (if you enjoy that kind of control)?

1. Oh man it's been ages since I played Dragon's Dogma so I can't compare. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. Dips usually happen in combat or when you're traversing through plains with a lot of grass or transparency.
2. Nothing except an icon letting you know how to switch between TV and Gamepad.
3. It's still in. Very well implemented and I love shooting arrows using it.

mdtauk

I just read a Polygon article about how you can change the game's audio and text (including voice acting language) on Switch by switching the system's language (between nine different languages apparently, pretty cool). Any word on if this is possible on Wii U?

The Wii U is not region free, so this won't work AFAIK

SomTervo

I can't do much irl physically so games have always been a place for me to exert energy and effort into and they give me a sense of wanderlust I just can't get irl anymore on my own do to health reasons.

I've always loved the feeling of accomplishing something and figuring things out and I'm very competitive as well

Honestly I'm disappointed hard mode is locked away until summer

Had no idea man - must be great to have an outlet like gaming! If you haven't tried VR, that could be a really big thing for you.

Not to derail...

That's a huge spoiler.

I said I would avoid all Zelda threads but then I thought this would have no spoilers.

It's a fucking joke, think I'm gonna PM the guy

Stalwart

For those playing Wii U version, can I put headphones in the GamePad to get audio even though I'm not playing offscreen? Wondering cause TP HD allows this but WindWaker HD didn't.

You haven't been answered yet but yes, you can plug your headphones into the gamepad and hear through it while playing on your TV.

I've played them, but those are just two exceptions. Every other Zelda game follows the same story: Ganon spreads his evil across da lands and you, the hero, must banish him and spread peace across Hyrule. It's a very 1980's video game story.

There's also a set number places you must visit and attain special items from yada yada yada.

This is so reductive and moronic that I hope for your sake you're just joking.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Had no idea man - must be great to have an outlet like gaming! If you haven't tried VR, that could be a really big thing for you.

Not to derail...

Yeah I really want to get into VR stuff I really loved the early prototype stuff they used to have at certain places way back in the late 90's early 2000's

Sadly being broke as hell comes with the territory *on ssi* right now only reason I was able to get a switch and zelda is because I was able to sell off my Wii U and a few games for almost 500 a month before the switch annoucement.

VR is next on my list of things to save up bits here and there for and all the positive reviews about VR stuff has me excited to finally be able to play stuff with it when the time comes

takriel

That's a massive spoiler man, not cool.

Ah fuck, I haven't even listened to the sample but read the spoiler tag and I think I can deduce what it means. Fuck this.

Absolutely NO SPOILERS should be posted in this thread, not even with spoiler tags. Go to the preview or spoiler threads with this shit.

SomTervo

Ah fuck, I haven't even listened to the sample but read the spoiler tag and I think I can deduce what it means. Fuck this.

Absolutely NO SPOILERS should be posted in this thread, not even with spoiler tags. Go to the preview or spoiler threads with this shit.

I PM'd the guy, hopefully he picks up on it.

Still inexcusable.

Beegeous

Similarly also clocked what he means given other people's reactions. Just why the fuck this user would post that in here is beyond me.

Adryuu

1. Oh man it's been ages since I played Dragon's Dogma so I can't compare. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. Dips usually happen in combat or when you're traversing through plains with a lot of grass or transparency.
2. Nothing except an icon letting you know how to switch between TV and Gamepad.
3. It's still in. Very well implemented and I love shooting arrows using it.

Thanks. So playing with gamepad at minimum brightness then. They could have turned off the screen though.

Dips in combat are not welcome definitely if there's actually challenging combat. My link will be mainly archer then. I played DD on ps3 (anda Lords of shadow, lol) and it was flawed with its crappy performance vs cool combat so I'll live through this, but it seems this is not to be expected from Nintendo.

I think rather "how good the game is"? Or how bloody amazing the game is?

Or that, yeah. Or maybe: how's the sense of adventure. Did you ever feel lost or without direction? On the other hand I guess there are things to do but I hope game's progression is solved in a more dynamic way than "take this quest, go there, do this".

RedColumn

I've played the Wii U version for about 4h now.

If anyone has questions... :)

I mention this before, but in case get lost my question. On offtv play on Wii U, is the menu inventory and other menus possible to use it with the touch screen? and how do you pass from tv mode to off-tv mode (which one button or menu, and is it quick)

Thanks! :)

correojon

I've played the Wii U version for about 4h now.

If anyone has questions... :)

Have you noticed any original uses of music? Zelda games often do cool stuff, like the Bazaar in Skyward Sword mixing the music from every seller depending on where you were, or the Spirit Tracks overworld theme adjusting to the train´s speed. I guess in BotW the music will change when an enemy´s nearby (it´s a staple of the series by now) but apart from that, is there anything else?

Thanks!

deoee

Haha okay.

So the game really is something. I was expecting nothing and Open World is always an offputting aspect of games for me.

Simply said: I had fun and I didn't expect it

The story is interesting this far and picks up slowly. You're really just thrown into the world (which is huge, traversal at this point takes AGES). It really feels like you're travelling.
I love the general artstyle and how the world is build, there's neat details and really really interesting places to wander around.
The dungeons and shrines are superb, def. the best part of the game until now, looking forward to seeing mor.
The physic stuff is neat but can be frustrating (rolling bombs >_>) and I love climbing trees to grab apples
KuGsj.gif

This game is ruthless and hard, enemies hit hard and I fell down so so often.
I don't want to spoil, but some effects look and feel really great.
NPCs react in many ways to you :)

I don't really like the control scheme but I will get used to it and this may be the cause I don't really like the enjoy... Evading and engaging feels kind of floaty and not that great. Add to this, that I HATE breaking weapons(it's the worst mechanic in games because it leads you to not use awesome weapons you find). But well, I've only fought a handful of types so maybe there's more to this!
The VA is okay, I would've expected more from a voiced Zelda game tbh.
And tbh. the Open World itself just is like any other Open World but it has the Zelda aesthetics to it.
What I mean by that is: Camps of enemies, "Ubisoft"-Towers, huge empty landscapes and so so many collectibles...

The performance is rough, like at times it feels like it's ~10 fps. Especially when zooming in or when something explodes it can get hard to control.

All in all it's a great game, def. go for it as a RPG/Zelda/Open World fan. But don't expect anything revolutionary - under it's hood it's a normal RPG with a huge world.

I mention this before, but in case get lost my question. On offtv play on Wii U, is the menu inventory and other menus possible to use it with the touch screen? and how do you pass from tv mode to off-tv mode (which one button or menu, and is it quick)

Thanks! :)

I really haven't used the inventory with touch, but I don't think it's possible because you switch TV / Pad mode by touching the Pad screen.

Have you noticed any original uses of music? Zelda games often do cool stuff, like the Bazaar in Skyward Sword mixing the music from every seller depending on where you were, or the Spirit Tracks overworld theme adjusting to the train´s speed. I guess in BotW the music will change when an enemy´s nearby (it´s a staple of the series by now) but apart from that, is there anything else?

Thanks!

Ofc. they use several well known jingles again but music... mhh I'm not really an expert on Zelda music but up to this point the music is rather laid back and really good.

Guymelef

I don't really like the control scheme but I will get used to it and this may be the cause I don't really like the enjoy... Evading and engaging feels kind of floaty and not that great. Add to this, that I HATE breaking weapons(it's the worst mechanic in games because it leads you to not use awesome weapons you find). But well, I've only fought a handful of types so maybe there's more to this!

Agree.
control scheme is bad for me (playing with Pro controller) and weapon durability sucks, they break SO SO soon. Also limited storage for weapons is low, from time on time you have to empty it.

Cloukyo

Banned
I've played them, but those are just two exceptions. Every other Zelda game follows the same story: Ganon spreads his evil across da lands and you, the hero, must banish him and spread peace across Hyrule. It's a very 1980's video game story.

There's also a set number places you must visit and attain special items from yada yada yada.

Nah, neither Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had stories like that. It looks like Breath of the Wild doesn't either. Wind Waker was more about Link saving his sister and had cool pirate/sea adventures, TP was more about Midna and the twilight realm nothing to do with Ganon really, SS was about demise and the goddess, the origin of the sword etc...

The plots aren't wide and sprawling like your standard jrpg, but there is a narrative that carry the games forward enough for you to care what happens next. I really liked the story for WW, WW Link is my favourite Link and I really wanted to see where his adventure would take him.

Agree.
control scheme is bad for me (playing with Pro controller) and weapon durability sucks, they break SO SO soon. Also limited storage for weapons is low, from time on time you have to empty it.

I heard you could change the control scheme?

Or that, yeah. Or maybe: how's the sense of adventure. Did you ever feel lost or without direction? On the other hand I guess there are things to do but I hope game's progression is solved in a more dynamic way than "take this quest, go there, do this".

Yes those are very good questions if you want to get bit deeper into the game mechanics. I was mainly just trying to express my own level of hype which is through the roof a long time ago. :)

deoee

Agree.

Yap, you have like 6 slots per weapon type and a club breaks in 3 hits or so.

You're constantly juggling with the menu to change weapons even mid fight.

Top Bottom