• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata shows FFXV PC ‘tech tests’ using Nvidia’s Gameworks on GDC [Up: Screenshots]

Status
Not open for further replies.

prudislav

Update:

C53cMpIWAAASe5h.jpg

19dUwbv.jpg

tiQHHbK2

---

Update March 1, 2017: So, there PCGamesN's Dave James was, geeking out over new graphics cards at the GTX 1080 Ti launch, when up pops Hajime Tabata from Square Enix showing off some PC ‘tech tests' using Nvidia's Gameworks ecosystem which look an awful lot like a PC version of Final Fantasy XV.

”Starting in December last year our FFXV team started conducting a series of tech tests with Nvidia's Gameworks team," said Tabata. ”[This video] shows the current status of our game engine, Luminous Studio Pro, which is made possible by this collaboration with Gameworks."

Maybe we could see it come across and, if it's good, it could bolster our list of the best RPGs on PC.

The demo reel, being shown at GDC today, had the familiar FFXV characters running through beautifully rendered fields, all using Nvidia's TurfEffects tech to allow 100 million blades of grass to interact with the gorgeous FFXV gang running through them.

It also showed the new fluid dynamics and fur Gameworks features which will allow realistic gas, liquid and flame effects as well as kittehs with realistic fluffs. Y'know, for stroking.

”The latest technology that Nvidia offers enables us as game developers to create the possibility which is not simply about an evolution in visual appearance," explained Tabata, ”but also to create new user experiences and greater emotional depth for players. We are going to continue working on some various tech tests so please keep your eyes open for more information coming out from the partnership between Luminous Studio Pro and Nvidia's Gameworks."

When asked if that meant Final Fantasy XV was coming to PC he simply replied with a smiling ”No comment." He was then asked what we had just witnessed in the video. ”Hmm... tech tests."

There was definitely a winking emoji left hanging in the air.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xv/final-fantasy-xv-pc-port

Mesoian

It'll be this year. Square's been pretty good about Console to PC ports this gen. I wouldn't be surprised if it just randomly appears on Steam one day.

I absolutely don't expect the PC version to drop before all of the DLC is done. 2018 is a pretty safe bet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope they go HAM on the PC port, it spells good news for next gen as well if they experiment with more high end features in their PC ports as opposed to slap dashing straighforward versions of the console assets, of course that's just IMO

Yeah it may not prepare them fully, but it'll get the foot in the door

killatopak

I think it'll be hilarious if this doesn't lead to a pc port and just end up as a PS5/Xbox Two Ultra HD remaster.

Inuhanyou

I think it'll be hilarious if this doesn't lead to a pc port and just end up as a PS5/Xbox Two Ultra HD remaster.

Why not both, they could certainly build on the PC port for next gen so they can re-release a GOTY edition with all the stuff they didn't include at launch, like the rest of the pieces of the narrative.

Of course that is of course unless BC is prioritized by the publishers in which case who knows if they would bother. Then again MS has had some remasters of games they have on BC too

GameWorks and working closely with Nvidia have me worried.

Slapping that useless shit into a developer with not exactly a great track record on PC is just hoping for a crappy port.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope they go HAM on the PC port, it spells good news for next gen as well if they experiment with more high end features in their PC ports as opposed to slap dashing straighforward versions of the console assets, of course that's just IMO

Yeah it may not prepare them fully, but it'll get the foot in the door
You and me both. Give the PC players the best version of the game you can when you know damn well what their high end systems are capable of.

jett

D-Member
Disappointed they're seemingly getting in bed with Nvidia. I figure us AMD users will get shafted somehow.

Mifec

Great that they are using Gameworks, people who take issue can turn them off.
Why not both, they could certainly build on the PC port for next gen so they can re-release a GOTY edition with all the stuff they didn't include at launch, like the rest of the pieces of the narrative.

Of course that is of course unless BC is prioritized by the publishers in which case who knows if they would bother. Then again MS has had some remasters of games they have on BC too

I'm sure they're releasing a complete edition when they release it on PC, if only to charge full price.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It'll be this year. Square's been pretty good about Console to PC ports this gen. I wouldn't be surprised if it just randomly appears on Steam one day.

Nah they still need to finish the story this year first.

killatopak

They could do it and it will be great if they do so but SE really likes suprising us with releasing pc games without announcing them. It would just suddenly pop out in steam.

FFXIII took maybe 3 to 4 years to release on PC and I wouldn't be surprised if porting XV takes that long as well.

Best case scenario they release the game on pc shortly after every dlc has been released on console

Inuhanyou

Damn, i'm real curious.

We'll see it eventually. I'm most excited about their grass tech, it always bothered me to see how the grass cut off before the horizon so it faded in as you got closer. I wanna see long distance grassgate!

True Fire

all using Nvidia’s TurfEffects tech to allow 100 million blades of grass to interact with the gorgeous FFXV gang running through them.

Jesus. Console version really is greenlight edition, isn't it?

Swarna

This game is garbage, give us a re-balanced FFXII with jobs, a mouse and keyboard top-down interface with 6 playable characters that's better than IZJS.

StereoVsn

It took that long because because they did not consider PC market viable.
Yeap, and they had some issues with the initial ports as well.

That said I don't see it coming out before 2018. They will want to integrate all the fixes and DLCs. Then they can also release GOTY edition for PS4/Xbone including potentially Scorpio updates.

Inuhanyou

Jesus. Console version really is greenlight edition, isn't it?

i mean it sold 6 million so it can't be that bad in terms of pure technical ambition. I'm sure they prioritized how they could for the two SKU's. the game looks great visually apart from the repeating assets at certain points and sub HD on XB1 and PS4

Now about actual game content i have no dissenting opinions.

I also think they might be able to introduce cut down versions of what they are planning for PC into the Pro or scorpio patches perhaps? Tabata did say they could have done more for Pro given more time

Sounds like typical PhysX fluff that runs like shit on most machines and doesn't really impact the game that much. Zzzz. Wish they stopped working on FFXV already and started working on something actually good.

Inuhanyou

Sounds like typical PhysX fluff that runs like shit on most machines and doesn't really impact the game that much. Zzzz. Wish they stopped working on FFXV already and started working on something actually good.

My opinions on the game are severely mixed, but the game just came out in November. They still have content to get out there

Ydelnae

Me: Oh, great, a new thread about FFXV's tech during the GDC, finally a place to discuss the game from a technical pov without bitching about the story, concepts, directors and stuff...

Y'all:
giphy.gif

Sizzel

No one seriously thought it WASN'T coming to PC did they? I purposefully skipped the console release since I figured in about 12 months I would have a better version because...history.

Not sure what I hate more, this trite opinion, or the fact that it's posted in every thread with "XV" or "Tabata" in the title.

can you blame them? These days mainline FF are rare and when we do finally get them they aren't good.

13 first FF on that gen... let down.
15 first FF current gen.... let down.

LordKasual

Banned
XV Tech thread?!

Final Fantasy XV's tech is fucking awesome.

We need some of those sexy XV Gifs to offset the incoming hatetrain derai-

...*sigh* nevermind.

What's new here? They have been showing their Luminous tech on PC for a while now so it seems more of the usual. I expect a FFXV port but not until early 2018. They have to finish the DLCs first along with content updates and as far as we know, the last Ignis DLC will release post-Summer followed by the expansion pack in last half of the year. So this means they won't be free from the development until Holiday 2017 at the earliest.

LordKasual

Banned
What's new here? They have been showing their Luminous tech on PC for a while now so it seems more of the usual.

The PC showcasings of the game were intended to represent the console version. I think only a few engine features they showcased, like some form of realtime global illumination and fluid physics, didn't make it into the actual release.

This showcasing (the way they describe it anyway) was the engine with the gloves off, showing off what it would look like if it were developed with PC specs in mind.

And considering just how weak PS4/Xbone hardware is compared to decent gaming rigs these days, the difference may indeed be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom