• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uh oh. VF5 isn't all that it's cracked up to be (Reno is the man)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I've seen reports on this around a lot of message boards, but after a week and a half of playing VF5 ver B (the version the PS3 is based on), I experienced the first hints of slowdown, and we're not talking for a milisecond or anything. It happened the entire match. the game was literally crawling at 10 or 15fps. this happened to me twice when I was playing Knockout Trial and a Versus match,and then I saw it happen three more times to other players in the same arcade. it has to do with the customized characters and how much items they're using. It's odd though because there's a point-based system in effect to make sure this stuff doesn't happen, but... it still does. I never had any problems with VF5 ver A, so it seems like only this version is affected. Totally weird, and it's the first time I've ever seen a VF game actually slow down.

lexi

Banned
I'll give you the summary of what this thread will probably eventuate to:

X360 Superior version.

Srider

Banned
I see someone trying to sabotage the hype.... :)

Yeah, this is old news, the arcade version has a couple of bugs. Particularly with Wolf equipping certain items for example.

Trojan X

Banned
If that's your post then it's pretty stupid making a thread title like that unless you're intentionally trying to destroy the VF hype?

*sigh... Your post already been noted by SEGA. Move along...

VF5 at 10 FPS with all kinds of problems is still gonna be the best 3D fighter this gen

and Sega will hopefully fix it for the PS3 release, I mean...Sega cant afford to suck anymore

Srider said:

Yeah, this is old news, the arcade version has a couple of bugs. Particularly with Wolf equipping certain items for example.

vf is quite a hardcore fightin game though...where is all this hype coming from suddenly

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAYESFINALLYAHAHAHHAHHA.JPG

1 down, 1 to go

VF5 not all it's cracked up to be?

Notice how this post from Reno suddenly comes after VF5 was announced for the Xbox 360.

I also have it on good adultery that Reno recently committed a violation of one of the ten commandments (one of the lesser ones, but still!).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Reno was speaking negatively about VF5 related stuff before the X360 version was announced.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
From what I played, the animations seemed little updated. It clearly ran in high res and characters have more polygons but that was basically it. Dunno, I was expecting more. Still plays great of course.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm pretty sure AM2 would fix this in any ports of VF5, the reason I say that is because AM2 would have had thousands of VF5 players in Japan breathing down their necks over the glitch in a matter of days.

If it does not get fixed in the final retail copy for PS3, then it's going to make for great press coverage for VF haters.

elostyle said:
As I said before, people will be very disappointed by the graphics.

It looks somewhat flat in the more barren stages which lack light sources, but in others it really pops out in HD, not saying it will set a new bar for graphics like VF1, 2, and 3, but I think fans will be happy that they will be getting the first arcade perfect port of a VF game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Tisan said:
Oh cool, well that's all good then :) Sony seem to be more consistent in their quality checking for framerates than Microsoft IMO.

Stealth microsoft trolling on a arcade oriented thread... what for?

He's playing the game on a Arcade, so why the superiority of Sony over Microsoft (as described by you) would be of any importance on this conversation?

Oneself

Even if it's based on version b (PS3) doesn't mean this bug will be in. Version B has nothing to do with graphics, it's the gameplay revision. Anyways, for the consoles, they had to reprogram the graphic engine.

well of course it's not as cracked up to be, because it's not exclusive to your source's platform of choice anymore.

Reno is a hardcore fighting game fan with street cred, not some fanboy who's words are to be used for your system wars.

if he mentions something like this, it's because he wants to draw attention to it so that people can talk about it so that it can be fixed.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Srider said:

Trojan X said:
If that's your post then it's pretty stupid making a thread title like that unless you're intentionally trying to destroy the VF hype?

STFU. Yes, I'm going to sabotage the hype of a game that I've been hyping since the first location test. You guys are morons. This bug also doesn't happen with just Wolf. It happened in an Akira vs. Akira match, Pai vs. Eileen, as well as my own match (Lion vs. Shun) This is something that can happen in ANY match randomly. Given that Version A apparently didn't even have this (and if it did, I didn't even see it...), this is shocking given the pedigree of the series.

Srider

Banned
Reno said:
STFU. Yes, I'm going to sabotage the hype of a game that I've been hyping since the first location test. You guys are morons. This bug also doesn't happen with just Wolf. It happened in an Akira vs. Akira match, Pai vs. Eileen, as well as my own match (Lion vs. Shun) This is something that can happen in ANY match randomly. Given that Version A apparently didn't even have this (and if it did, I didn't even see it...), this is shocking given the pedigree of the series.

Well then, you can be rest assured that the latest PS3 build thus far does not suffer from such a problem.

US is getting the superior PS3 version.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
If I know anything about GAF folk, it's that there's a seemingly weekly tradition of Reno kicking Sp0rsk's ass at fighters in a goddamn arcade.
If someone who still goes out to ****ing arcades to play fighters, I'm going to wager there's a fair chance they don't give a shit about none but the quality of the game.
GAF, you shame yourselves more and more.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Reno said:

I think people raised an eyebrow at a) the timing of this thread considering the massive VF5 thread we just had, and b) the complete misnomer of a title that's just screaming "troll." No offense. Get a clearer title change, and you probably wouldn't have had any of the replies you've had in this thread. something like "VF5 Ver. B (Arcade) issues."

Which would, you know, state the subject of the thread. The title, as it stands, is trolling the game. =P

DCharlie

Banned
Reno`s sentiments are exactly the same to the few VF nuts opinions that i`ve heard.

Sri, given you`re obviously on the `know` , with VF5 under some tight deadlines, how confident are you they`ll nail this?

Srider

Banned
DCharlie said:
Reno`s sentiments are exactly the same to the few VF nuts opinions that i`ve heard.

Sri, given you`re obviously on the `know` , with VF5 under some tight deadlines, how confident are you they`ll nail this?

Yeah, the slowdown issue in the arcade version is a bit of a bummer. No one really knows why it occurs since like Reno said, the problem wasn't in Version A.

Thus far, the PS3 version is still getting new builds as we speak, and issues are being fixed one by one. No such issue is being experienced thus far in the PS3 version. Since the game is a port to the PS3, a much different hardware than the Pentium based Lindberg, I have no doubt that the US gamers will get a version that replicates the arcade gameplay perfectly without any of the problems in the arcade version.

Juice

Tisan said:
Oh cool, well that's all good then :) Sony seem to be more consistent in their quality checking for framerates than Microsoft IMO.

TRUTH. Just look at THP8 or Fight Night.

Trojan X said:

I treasure this post. It's like he's a child at Christmas, cradling some tangible concept of hype in his little arms. Then, some big bully Reno comes over and says, "I'm going to destroy that hype of yours." Then he's all crybaby.gif and posts the above exhortation.

Sorry bud, but not everyone likes VF and *gasp* there will probably be people who don't like VF5 who loved VF4. This is true for every major franchise sequel.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that someone can't post impressions here without everyone leaping to the conclusion that he is trying to *cue evil music* SABOTAGE THE HYPE!

Not everyone is a raging fanboy, some people come here to discuss games.

mosaic

go eat paint
New members really ought to lurk longer before they accuse longtime, reputable members of "hype killing" and or "troll fishing."

I'd rather someone call Sega out on the carpet for potential problems than let them get all comfy and turn the VF series into Sonic the totally irrelevant Hedgehog. VF is a series I and many others STILL want to play!

mosaic said:
New members really ought to lurk longer before they accuse longtime, reputable members of "hype killing" and or "troll fishing."

I'd rather someone call Sega out on the carpet for potential problems than let them get all comfy and turn the VF series into Sonic the totally irrelevant Hedgehog. VF is a series I and many others STILL want to play!

Forgive me because I am new, but do Sega developers/workers actually post here?

Tisan said:

Will they start holding back games like CoD3 that have worse framerates on PS3 than 360? Maybe it's Sony, not Bethesda, that is holding Oblivion back. Do they really have a framerate TCR?

Dice said:
Wow, that's bad. VF requires unshakable 60fps.

I'm sure it will be fixed for home and I wouldn't even be too sure that they can't fix the arcade version. Heck, it could be a bug.

teiresias

Geez, this thing took a downward spiral for the worst really damn quickly. Anyone thinking Reno would de-hype based on a PS3 vs. 360 stance when it comes to VF is an absolute moron and/or junior member (and honestly, nowadays aren't those pretty much synonyms on here?).

Not to mention the people that came in here thinking he was referring to the PS3 version and not the arcade game.

It would be funny if everyone that made both of these fallacies in this thread were banned - just a suggestion. :lol I know, I know, would be humorous though.

It is a pretty bad issue to have show up in a released version of the VF arcade release, even if it is a play test. Framerate hiccup every now and then, maybe not so bad, but to have an entire match play out like that is just ridiculous given the fact that . . . well . . . it's VF, and though I don't play fighting games, everyone knows VF - regardless of what it's being played on, really shouldn't have issues like that. They'd render the game without textures before letting the gameplay suffer in any way like that as a general rule.

Trojan X

Banned
Reno said:

So that means you have to title the thread the way you did? Please don't be silly. Think about what you're saying.

Amir0x

Banned
Guys stop being asshats, Reno would never try to sabotage hype for this series. He loves Virtua Fighter games. It's a god-damn thread title, who even cares enough to complain about it

Top Bottom