• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Xbox's biggest crisis right now isn't games. It's hardware.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Dont worry, when they realize Burning Shores was PS5 only...maybe they will finally understand.

So, you want cross gen to last the entire gen?

Help us understand your point.
Playstation first party games are going to continue to come to PC, including PCs with lower specs than the Series S. It isn’t going to stop. Look at Ratchet and Clank just a couple days ago.

So again, the whole argument that the Series S is somehow holding back game development is a crock of shit.

Last edited:

hinch7

Serious question. What is gained by this article? You're calling Damage control, but I fail to see it as beneficial to MS to crap on their top selling console.
At bold. Literally written sub heading of his article - The PlayStation 5 is on track to outsell Xbox 2:1, again. Idk what is gained other than to defend Microsoft and the current trajectory for Xbox. And why they aren't doing so well. Is to blame the Series S?

After his little rant and peeves with current Xbox. Then goes and ends with about XCloud good, GP still best deal in gaming and then ends with a just you wait...

He's a known shill. I mean the websites name just says it all lol.

Last edited:
Haha. If I was going to go with an analogy I'd say so far GP is the corporation and PS+ (extra/premium) is more a lemonade stand on the side of the road. But, to each their own.
Truest analogy would be where PS+ is what is produced on the corporation's luxury line, and GP is the sewage sludge from the factory used to drip feed the green rats.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So, wouldn't mind if Starfield came to XBO, right?
Playstation first party games are going to continue to come to PC, including PCs with lower specs than the Series S. It isn’t going to stop. Look at Ratchet and Clank just a couple days ago.

So again, the whole argument that the Series S is somehow holding back game development is a crock of shit.

Last edited:
If those 3rd party games are CoD and GTAV. Id easily wager that SOny gets a significant chunk of their revenue from 1st party sales. 10-20M copies is pretty good revenue.
I definitely believe that they make a lot of money from the first part, but the fact that they can get money from any transaction undeniably brings a lot of profits
and regarding MS, what are your options? They have no 1st party games that interest people, at least not enough to survive as a 3rd party

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
He makes me laugh. I think he is genuinely taking the piss. He's got to be, am I the only one that see's it. You can see it in his face for a start.
I honestly think he is a corporate dick eater, dude recently gloated how Todd came up to him, shook his hand and thanked him for all his hard work (which probably didnt happen) but dudes a corporate shill because he gets views for bending over and grabbing his ankles

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Playstation first party games are going to continue to come to PC, including PCs with lower specs than the Series S. It isn’t going to stop. Look at Ratcher and Clank just a couple days ago.

So, again, you wouldn't mind if Starfield came to XBO, right?

And I'm pretty sure the whole Rift Apart on PC thing has a ton of context, but good try.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So, again, you wouldn't mind if Starfield came to XBO, right?

And I'm pretty sure the whole Rift Apart on PC thing has a ton of context, but good try.

I’d prefer it didn’t, because the Series S and XBO aren’t remotely comparable.

What’s the context of Rift Apart? Does it have the same context as Uncharted, or Days Gone, or God of War, or The Last of Us, or Returnal, or any of the other Playstation first party games that have come to PC?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I honestly think he is a corporate dick eater, dude recently gloated how Todd came up to him, shook his hand and thanked him for all his hard work (which probably didnt happen) but dudes a corporate shill because he gets views for bending over and grabbing his ankles
Exactly. He's just taking the piss. I've never taken offence to bullshitters. I just laugh.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I’d prefer it didn’t, because the Series S and XBO aren’t remotely comparable.

What’s the context of Rift Apart? Does it have the same context as Uncharted, or Days Gone, or God of War, or The Last of Us, or Returnal, or any of the other Playstation first party games that have come to PC?
Do they all have the same minimum or recommended requirements? Did all those games start as a PS5 game?

You mention PC's with lower specs than the Series S and used Rift Apart as an example. Pretty sure Rift Apart on PC has a ton of context.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Post of the month!
mjf-aew.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I definitely believe that they make a lot of money from the first part, but the fact that they can get money from any transaction undeniably brings a lot of profits
and regarding MS, what are your options? They have no 1st party games that interest people, at least not enough to survive as a 3rd party
If I were in charge of Xbox, and I had just acquired Bethesda, I would have immediately commissioned a safe remaster of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Put a smaller studio on it, get them valuable experience. Get those games running on XS at 4K/60-120. Add some popular mods for qoL. Give it a year at most. Do the same with classic games like Doom, Quake and Hexen/Heretic. Get that entire library on Xbox ASAP like they did with the EXCELLENT port of Quake. Immediately commission another studio (ideally Obsidian) to work on another Fallout game. Tell Bethesda gamers arent going to wait for 15 years for another mainline Fallout game. Have every 360/X1 game enhanced on the system. Make a sequel to Doom 3 using the Doom 3 engine. Stuff like that is small and would go a long way.

But no...MS wants to let Bethesda run independently and keep their IPs. Fuck that. Take advantage of the IPs you have. Assassins Creed is proof that you can have regular releases of an open world game and it still sell. I am not advocating for a yearly release of a new Fallout game. Of course not, but every 3 years is a good goal. They have the resources. They have the funds. What they don't have is the leadership and management to keep the focus.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Do they all have the same minimum or recommended requirements? Did all those games start as a PS5 game?

You mention PC's with lower specs than the Series S and used Rift Apart as an example. Pretty sure Rift Apart on PC has a ton of context.

They all have minimum requirements lower than the specs that the Series S offers.

Again, what context are you talking about in regards to Rift Apart and all these other games?

DaGwaphics

Truest analogy would be where PS+ is what is produced on the corporation's luxury line, and GP is the sewage sludge from the factory used to drip feed the green rats.

I did forget to include the fact that the lemonade stand uses 4 year old lemons, my bad. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously though, PS+ Extra isn't a bad deal at all if you take advantage of the 25% off yearly rate, so basically $15 over essentials. The lack of day one games severely limits the value of the service, but PS has priced it with that in mind.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's not at all what I'm doing.

What I'm doing is responding to your asinine assertion that Microsoft creating games for Series S and PC is "THE PROBLEM" when Sony literally does the exact same thing with some of their biggest and best first party titles.

LOL! That's not the point. It's not putting the game on PC or Series S that's the problem. It's that MS doesn't seem to have a dedicated plan for anything. They are all over the place.

Sony treats PC the same way a movie studio treated DVD and Blu-ray sales.

- Put a 1st party PS game on the main Playstation console
- After 1-2 years put it on PS+ for 3-6 months. Add-ons and MTX sold separately.
- After 1.5 to 3 years put it on PC with the Game of the Year edition and all add-ons and updates.

That's three separate bites of the apple that Sony is making money on the same 1st party game. MS is putting it on every platform on Day One (PLUS their subscription service). Their strategy leads to a worm eating its own tail to the point of eating itself whole.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
LOL! That's not the point. It's not putting the game on PC or Series S that's the problem. It's that MS doesn't seem to have a dedicated plan for anything. They are all over the place.

Sony treats PC the same way a movie studio treated DVD and Blu-ray sales.

- Put a 1st party PS game on the main Playstation console
- After 1-2 years put it on PS+ for 3-6 months. Add-ons and MTX sold separately.
- After 1.5 to 3 years put it on PC with the Game of the Year edition and all add-ons and updates.

That's three separate bites of the apple that Sony is making money on the same 1st party game. MS is putting it on every platform on Day One (PLUS their subscription service). Their strategy leads to a worm eating its own tail to the point of eating itself whole.
Correct. The number of people who will wait to play God of War Ragnarok on PC has a negligible effect on PS5 sales. Most people now know the game will come to PS+ sometime down the line. I don't if they are truly maximizing their sales in that regard, but it's hard to argue another method would be more effective.

Meanwhile, if MS had made something similar for Starfield, I'd say that there was a decent chance it could move XSX units. The creators of Skyrim does carry some weight, but their current strategy seems to be the worst of all worlds.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Playstation first party games are going to continue to come to PC, including PCs with lower specs than the Series S. It isn’t going to stop. Look at Ratcher and Clank just a couple days ago.

You were saying?

baldurs-gate-3-xbox-series-x-s-gamerant.jpg

Last edited:

What is a crock of shit is this idiotic argument.

PS First Party games don't even launch day and date on PC. They're made first for PS5, then ported by a whole other studio to PC long afterward. So low-end (sub-XSS spec) PCs will run the games at whatever shitty settings those configs allow. But at that point, it's barely even the same game.

Sony's first-party studios are not having to reign in their technical ambitions for low-end PCs, because PC isn't even a consideration for the games that are exclusively developed for the console first by the main studios making them. The same isn't true at all for devs working on XSS.

I did forget to include the fact that the lemonade stand uses 4 year old lemons, my bad. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously though, PS+ Extra isn't a bad deal at all if you take advantage of the 25% off yearly rate, so basically $15 over essentials. The lack of day one games severely limits the value of the service, but PS has priced it with that in mind.
PS+ Fermented to fine Limoncello, while GP hooch makes you blind.

Stooky

One really shouldn't be seeing any difference then should we?
And console people always like to hear how their version looks or sound the best, not that will make them buy a rival console mind (if their version is the best)
it’s all click bait. it was fucked when df started doing super zooms on images to spot differences. at that point what is the point?……click bait.

DaGwaphics

PS+ Fermented to fine Limoncello, while GP hooch makes you blind.

I think it fermented so much it turned to poison. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Note to casual readers that are stuck reading these bad jokes, I'm actual a premium subscriber myself and enjoy the service, a lot of the old games I haven't played since I'm more of a $20 buyer. I just like the GP approach even better, but I think it's good that the services are different from each other. LOL

it’s all click bait. it was fucked when df started doing super zooms on images to spot differences. at that point what is the point?……click bait.
I still remember the days of SNES owners saying how much better their version of SF2 was down to nothing more than colours and sound samples and Mega Drive owners saying how much better their version of EA Hockey was.

Its nothing really new

Jakk

No one is forced to release games that run on PCs with lower specs than the Series S. Also, when you run a game on a PC that only meets minimum requirements, it is almost always a bad experience which would be unacceptable on a console. On the other hand, if you want to release a game on the Series X, you have to make it run acceptably on Series S.

There's been multiple developers who voiced their concerns mainly about the RAM size on the Series S, even Steam Deck has more RAM. Baldur's Gate 3 is literally releasing later on Xbox because they are struggling to get the coop running on Series S. And we are just now leaving the cross-gen period. So how is it a crock of shit? You have to at least admit it's not true that it is always enough to just drop the resolution to run a game on Series S.

I would say the biggest issue is PR. It's beyond pathetic there's none of it; Aaron Greenberg must have the easiest job in the world and money for jam

Three

R&C doesn't run well at all on lower spec PCs than the Series S. Where are you getting that idea from. Even min spec asks for more RAM.

Honey Bunny

Every public statement Phil has made for years now makes them sound like they just want to be a publisher and sell their games everywhere, but they don't look to be dropping their hardware any time soon. I still think it's a PR smokescreen.

vkbest

And if Sony is the only one selling apples, they will try to sell oranges too, if you see what I mean. If XBox is gone, and Sony feels that they can do a subpar job, they will. Any monopoly works that way. But we are far from that. And it is not a probable future of course. I do believe that Sony will not want to loose hundreds of millions in profits if they can. Why should they? Look at Apple and Nividia prices. And imagine if they were even more dominant. Now imagine if Sony is the only one making consoles. And that somehow Nintendo did not rise with Xbox fall. Then I can see future playstation be weaker than they should. Or/ and with bad services, like a useless PS+ with awful games each month.
No mate, people will want to play their new next gen Fifa, COD, etc. This is not about consoles anymore. PC, services, and hybrid devices will be more and more competitive in the market. Why do you think both companies are releasing games in PC? and looking for mobile too? Because they know consoles are not necessary anymore.

And if Sony is the only one selling apples, they will try to sell oranges too, if you see what I mean. If XBox is gone, and Sony feels that they can do a subpar job, they will. Any monopoly works that way. But we are far from that. And it is not a probable future of course. I do believe that Sony will not want to loose hundreds of millions in profits if they can. Why should they? Look at Apple and Nividia prices. And imagine if they were even more dominant. Now imagine if Sony is the only one making consoles. And that somehow Nintendo did not rise with Xbox fall. Then I can see future playstation be weaker than they should. Or/ and with bad services, like a useless PS+ with awful games each month.
Pure F.U.D.
Straight out of the playbook.

So they don’t “struggle” at games. They are literally one of the first companies to even make a video game.
What the fuck does how long they've been in the industry have to do with their ability to make quality games?
Judging by xbox's first party output the last ten years or so, not a single damn thing.
Yes, they struggle at making quality games consistently.

They are still sold out here. Can't find one to save yourself. PS5 on the other hand, you have to be careful where you are walking because you can trip over them.

Sony got the supply chain humming, but you would expect that to be a strength of theirs, with being a consumer electronics giant and all.

Strange. Where I am series x is in stock right now at target, walmart, best buy, fred meyer.
All available to walk in and buy.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Based on this article, Windows Central biggest crisis right now isn't content, it's writers.

Top Bottom