• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Images Of Rumored White Xbox Series X With No Disc Drive

DaGwaphics

I don't get this thing. It needs to be cheap as piss or what's the point?

I assume they will add more storage. And, with so many XSS units selling without the drive it may have started to not be worth it for a lot of publishers to release physical. Or at least they could see things going that way.

Last edited:
I assume they will add more storage. And, with so many XSS units selling without the drive it may have started to not be worth it for a lot of publishers to release physical. Or at least they could see things going that way.
I don't know. I see them just doing a $399 1TB simply because it puts it technically below the PS5 Slim Digital Edition which is $449.

The problem is nobody gave a shit when the regular Series X was $399 or below and nobody is going to care now.

Rockman33

I’ll take the look and practicality of any of the series console over the PS5 all day, everyday. Anytime I try to dust under or around the PS5 it always falls off the stupid, shitty stand and I fumble over it to get it back to horizontal.

Maybe this is just a me problem but I doubt I’m the only one.

I have a series X and a PS5 digital sitting next to each other below my tv. The Xbox looks too much like a giant power brick and the PS5 looks like it’s trying too hard to be cool. Xbox 360 and PS1 are still my fav designs. I do like the ps5 design but wish it was flat. I play my Xbox mostly, but its design is all functionality and no aesthetics.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Xbox was considerably more powerful, the problem is the tech in Xbox was too new, programmable shaders lead the way to what we use today, but was something very new in the industry at the time. Games like Splinter Cell being on the more capable PC was the only real benchmark at the time, in fact the Xbox was so much more advanced that it can even handle games in HD.

It was a more modern architecture and overall more powerful, yes, but it was also like 4x the volume. It was not 4x as powerful. The GameCube was a very efficient little cube.

JackMcGunns

It was a more modern architecture and overall more powerful, yes, but it was also like 4x the volume. It was not 4x as powerful. The GameCube was a very efficient little cube.

The GPU die, CPU and ram used were likely around the same volume, so this case volume difference was not directly affected by the console having a more modern architecture and being more powerful, but rather design choices for the case. If you open up an old Xbox, there's a TON of empty space there. So like I said, Xbox has come a LONG way where they finally bested Sony in the hardware/case design, and that's pretty crazy.

Now, applying your point here, imagine you can say you take much less volume and are yet more powerful? that is what you see below:

TT1Pljh.png

But even more asinine to be making fun (Not you, that other guy) that your console didn't shrink much, meanwhile the PS5 slim is still bigger than the OG XSX lol.

78rt46H.png

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The GPU die, CPU and ram used were likely around the same volume, so this case volume difference was not directly affected by the console having a more modern architecture and being more powerful, but rather design choices for the case. If you open up an old Xbox, there's a TON of empty space there. So like I said, Xbox has come a LONG way where they finally bested Sony in the hardware/case design, and that's pretty crazy.

Now, applying your point here, imagine you can say you take much less volume and are yet more powerful? that is what you see below:

TT1Pljh.png

But even more asinine to be making fun (Not you, that other guy) that your console didn't shrink much, meanwhile the PS5 slim is still bigger than the OG XSX lol.

78rt46H.png

Is the XSX that much smaller in volume though? The PS5 is taller and deeper, but quite a bit less wide. The X probably still is smaller overall (the PS5 has that massive cooling system), but maybe not by as much as it looks.

JackMcGunns

The slim is slimmer, lighter and sexier than the OG SX

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I rather wait for the Pro. I just don't agree that it would be a disgrace if they don't change the size in a digital only version, which is what they might call this if the rumor is true, rather than a Slim version, so 2 different things here.

Any word on what the Pro might look like? I don't really care about the slim tbh.

Banjo64

cumsessed

TT1Pljh.png

78rt46H.png
The PS5 there looks to be what, 7cm taller, probably a similar depth to the Series X but the Series X is about 3x wider than the PS5.

In terms of cubic CM volume I’d be surprised if the Series X is smaller.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Should have released that with the series X disk version and not the S. Price it same as digital PS5.
You know MS like to do this weird thing where they make life hard for themselves. I swear… as a company…. They baffle me…. This should have been out from day one. I don’t like it in white though. Oddly rounds me of a 90s PC.

RickMasters

I meant more that nobody buys Xbox, and this model isn't going to turn the tides for the platform. This will probably sell more but it still won't matter.
Honestly it’s too late in the gen to have any hope of overtaking PS5. They can and should give up on that idea. Infact I’m sure they have as many hear wil agree going by comments….

Matter of fact gent already said they don’t care about selling Xboxes ages ago. So maybe onkyvPS fans care what x ox awls at this point for bragging rights. If MS don’t care. Xbox users certainly should not either.

JackMcGunns

PS5 slim digital edition:
eXwANu7.jpeg

Series X:
UEhXozJ.jpeg

Wow, that's closer than I thought! NOTE that you showed us the volume of the digital slim and 4 years later they barely got it to a smaller volume while removing the disc drive :messenger_open_mouth:

Goes to show how efficiently designed the Series X was in 2020 while having more horsepower. :messenger_clapping:

Now show us the DISC edition for the fair comparison since Series X 2020 has a disc drive. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Goes to show how efficiently designed the Series X was in 2020 while having more horsepower. :messenger_clapping:

It's true, SX is a marvelously engineered device. Great form factor and quieter in the same room as my PS5. More energy efficient as well.

The hardware design team definitely knocked it out of the park.

The PS5 by comparison feels over-engineered. Especially the massive heatsink that lined the entire chassis of the launch-device.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

"more horsepower"?

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Whether you like to hear that or no, facts are facts. Are games built from the ground up on PS5 as the lead platform 99% of the time therefore yielding favorable results most of the time for PS5? YES, but the fact that the machine has more horsepower is just facts over feelings. Even games like Alan Wake 2 having been built from the ground up on PS5 end up better on Series X and the majority of games having the upper hand according to a digital foundry round up should've been enough, but again "feelings".

Whether you like to hear that or no, facts are facts. Are games built from the ground up on PS5 as the lead platform 99% of the time therefore yielding favorable results most of the time for PS5? YES, but the fact that the machine has more horsepower is just facts over feelings. Even games like Alan Wake 2 having been built from the ground up on PS5 end up better on Series X and the majority of games having the upper hand according to a digital foundry round up should've been enough, but again "feelings".

Keep drinking the 12 Teraflops Kool Aid after 4 years of being proven wrong....

JackMcGunns

Keep drinking the 12 Teraflops Kool Aid after 4 years of being proven wrong....

I think there's a difference between believing Series X would be a sure win on every head to head or that the difference between games would be considerable, to understanding that one machine has slightly more horsepower than the other while being designed to occupy less volume and be more power efficient. There's no Kool Aid there. Some expectations may have been too high and PS fans are happy to see the difference is not as significant as originally believed, but the difference there.

So who is really drinking the Kool-Aid? where is the "proof" that you speak of? How many PS games are running with a higher internal resolution than SX while maintaining a similar framerate? how many games were built from the ground up on Series X, then ported to PS5? I'll wait...

Weird....wasn't it cylindrical in the document leaks?

This doesn't even look like a slim version though it's a bit hard to exactly tell. Just straight up a white version launch model with no disc drive... 4 years later?

Not sure I believe it..
That was the super eco-friendly one that was apparently in some form of development from the leaked docs. Different machine. We don't know if that one ever made it to final design phase for market release.

This white discless one I think is going to be sold by end of 2024 as part of their plan to lean into all-digital and cut cost down and sell it for maybe $399. For me, the round discless eco-friendly one sounded awesome, especially if it was gonna have 2TB SSD. I'd pay $500 for it, for sure. I don't need a discless Series X.

I think the expectation based on past console generations that machines become cheaper & smaller over time has become really hard to do with these new machines, which is why the "new" PS5 was barely smaller. And we can forget about signifcant price cuts. They're just so expensive to make it just isn't possible to do any more.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wow, that's closer than I thought! NOTE that you showed us the volume of the digital slim and 4 years later they barely got it to a smaller volume while removing the disc drive :messenger_open_mouth:
I don’t need to note that Jack, it was the first line in my comparison. Everyone can decide if 1/7th of the size is ‘barely smaller’ or not.

From memory the original PS5 with disc drive was similar in size to the Series X. Or it may have been ‘barely larger’ by your own metrics.

Now show us the DISC edition for the fair comparison since Series X 2020 has a disc drive. :messenger_winking:

This is a thread with a digital Series X which looks to be the exact same size as the disc drive version. Hence the comparison to the digital PlayStation revision.

JackMcGunns

This is a thread with a digital Series X which looks to be the exact same size as the disc drive version. Hence the comparison to the digital PlayStation revision.

This thread may be about that, but you're replying to MY comment about the OG SX being efficiently designed and disingenuously posted the dimensions of the PS5 slim "Digital" edition to disprove my point.

The truth is:

A: We don't know if this white SX model is real or know if the dimensions are the same as the OG SX.
B: We don't know if this is the "Slim" version of a SX or simply a digital version, similar to PS5 digital version rather than a redesign.
C: We don't know (and assuming this is real) if an addition to this model, there may be a slimmed SX model down the road. Slim vs Slim makes sense to compare, otherwise we should be comparing digital only PS5 vs digital only Series X.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s a rectangular white box. I can’t believe people have such a strong opinion about this. Maybe they should add some PS5 lips and a horizontal stand to make it look more attractive.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This thread may be about that, but you're replying to MY comment about the OG SX being efficiently designed and disingenuously posted the dimensions of the PS5 slim "Digital" edition to disprove my point.

No bitch tits. You were comparing the Series X to the digital slim PS5. That’s why I posted the dimensions.

meanwhile the PS5 slim is still bigger than the OG XSX lol.

78rt46H.png

TT1Pljh.png

78rt46H.png

Last edited:

onQ123

How can there be no overall reduction in size when they are removing the disc drive? I’m getting Xbox One SAD flashbacks.
Seems they don't expect to sell many of them so they didn't waste resources making a new design.

Most likely they just wanted a cheaper Xbox Series X

Drew1440

I was hoping they could make the design shorter, close to a cube shape like the original Series S mockups. The cylinder design was interesting but unpractical, and it isn't very efficient for cooling if the 2013 Mac Pro was anything to go by.

TT1Pljh.png

78rt46H.png
It's crazy how everyone just gives Sony a pass on the hardware this gen. It's wild to think the series x is somehow slightly more powerful than the ps5 considering that frankly absurd size difference. To add to the insanity, the one with the worse heating and louder noise is shockingly the console that is way way bigger. Madness.

Robb

Gold Member
I usually like the white colored versions, but this doesn’t really do much for me. Just looks very plain and boring imo, a lot more so than the black version - for whatever reason.

Lysandros

It's crazy how everyone just gives Sony a pass on the hardware this gen. It's wild to think the series x is somehow slightly more powerful than the ps5 considering that frankly absurd size difference. To add to the insanity, the one with the worse heating and louder noise is shockingly the console that is way way bigger. Madness.
PS5 GPU's every single component/fixed function unit is comparatively faster than XSX's due to whole GPU running at 22% higher frequency. There is a reason for PS5 consuming up to 20% more power while gaming. Slightly smaller, cheaper APU running at higher frequency is a deliberate design choice for the system. This comes with higher heat dissipation considerations hence the farm factor and heatsink. PS5 is die area/component and price efficient when it comes to performance. It is slightly more or less powerful depending on the specific metric/throughput. You declaring XSX as the more powerful machine as a whole is a mere subjective take, this is not even the manufacturer's current official stance which is "the most powerful Xbox".

In the end it's all about design choices nothing about 'superior engineering'.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Try reading.

Why should he read the whole thread when you can simply answer the question?

I'll answer. Moving goalposts.

1. Ass of Can Whooping said it's a disgrace that after 4 years the new Xbox did not get any smaller.
2. I responded by saying XSX was already very efficient to begin with and I showed pictures of the OG XSX next to the PS5 Slim.
3. Banjo proceeds to compare the dimensions of the OG XSX vs the PS5 Slim "DIGITAL" edition which is disingenuous to the back and forth discussed within the topic.

Banjo64

cumsessed

1. Ass of Can Whooping said it's a disgrace that after 4 years the new Xbox did not get any smaller.
2. I responded by saying XSX was already very efficient to begin with and I showed pictures of the OG XSX next to the PS5 Slim.
3. Banjo proceeds to compare the dimensions of the OG XSX vs the PS5 Slim "DIGITAL" edition which is disingenuous to the back and forth discussed within the topic.
You said the Xbox Series X is smaller than the PS5 slim digital edition.

Is there anything going on upstairs?

You said the Xbox Series X is smaller than the PS5 slim digital edition.

Is there anything going on upstairs?

Why is this even a point of argument when most people chose the PS5 over both Series consoles?

If anything it shows that most don't care about the size. Most people are just happy to play games on a console.

StereoVsn

Note that one advantage of PS5 design is they it allowed Sony to lower cost supposedly (consumers ain’t seeing those savings).

MS can’t do the same due to split motherboard design and overall CPU/GPU/SRAM structure.

Otherwise personally I like XSX design better. The white DE version looks like crap though.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Note that one advantage of PS5 design is they it allowed Sony to lower cost supposedly (consumers ain’t seeing those savings).

MS can’t do the same due to split motherboard design and overall CPU/GPU/SRAM structure.

Otherwise personally I like XSX design better. The white DE version looks like crap though.
SRAM?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

First mistake trying to reason with fanatics here

Top Bottom