• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox series X backwards compatibility

How do I play my 360 discs on my series X? I know they're compatible because I've checked but nothing happens when I insert the disc? Tried a few things and nothing seems to work. This is really annoying. Surely the disc drive can't be broken? I've barely used the thing.

Update: I've tried everything and nothing works. I've even reset the whole system. Next step is to try a xbox one or series x game. My uncle has some xbox one games, so I'm gonna head over to his later and see if I can narrow down the problem. There's people on reddit saying that xbox one and series x discs work fine but xbox 360 discs won't read on their console either. So it's happened to others aswell. If xbox one discs don't work then I'll know that the drive is dead.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What game (or games) are you trying? Is your console connected to the internet and fully up to date?

It's far more likely the discs themselves are damaged due to time, rather than the disc drive. Do other (non-360) games work?

What game (or games) are you trying? Is your console connected to the internet and fully up to date?

It's far more likely the discs themselves are damaged due to time, rather than the disc drive. Do other (non-360) games work?

I've tried batman arkham origins and splinter cell blacklist. Both discs look fine but nothing happens when I insert them. I literally have no other discs to try. Console is updated and connected to the Internet.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I've tried batman arkham origins and splinter cell blacklist. Both discs look fine but nothing happens when I insert them. I literally have no other discs to try. Console is updated and connected to the Internet.

Sounds like you may have a disc drive issue. Have you tried a full power down / restart? If so, you may have to try resetting your console.

starfire1978

Neo Member
If compatible you sometimes have to restart console with disc in drive when it restarts title will show or give message not compatible. Over the past year some discs have become not compatible and only digital version works.

Topher

Gold Member
I was going to post a thread, but just going to post it here since it seems there might be issues with BC. I just bought Lost Odyssey (digital, not disk) and every single time I launch the game, I have to enter a password.

Reddit thread on the issue...

This has started the last few weeks apparently so not sure what is going on with BC.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Series X doesn’t actually play or load games form X360 and Xbox OG disks. It should download appropriate BC code though in disk detection (just need disk 1 I think if it’s multi disk release).

If it doesn’t detect your copy you have a bad disk. Happened to me with Jade Empire so had to rebuy the physical copy.

StereoVsn

I was going to post a thread, but just going to post it here since it seems there might be issues with BC. I just bought Lost Odyssey and every single time I launch the game, I have to enter a password.

This has started the last few weeks apparently so not sure what is going on with BC.

Huh, wonder what MS screwed up then. I will throw in a few BC disks and check it out.

In the OPs case I don’t think it gets this far though as disk doesn’t seem to be detected.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was going to post a thread, but just going to post it here since it seems there might be issues with BC. I just bought Lost Odyssey (digital, not disk) and every single time I launch the game, I have to enter a password.

Bizarre.

I bought Silent Hill: Downpour 2 days ago and it's working without any issues (or asking passwords) for me.

How do I play my 360 discs on my series X? I know they're compatible because I've checked but nothing happens when I insert the disc? Tried a few things and nothing seems to work. This is really annoying. Surely the disc drive can't be broken? I've barely used the thing.

Do you get any kind of "getting your game ready" prompt, or does it begin any downloads?

The way these BC games work, the disc is basically to authorize and the system will download an Xbox One / Series formatted version of that game on your HDD. The game doesn't run off of the disc itself.

If you have your Xbox disconnected, try connecting it online.

edit: I see you have your console connected online, in that case it's either bad discs or your disc drive having issues. Try running some other discs on it and see if those work.

Will a series X play any disc or just the compatible ones?

Only games from the curated compatibility list work.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a disc drive issue. Have you tried a full power down / restart? If so, you may have to try resetting your console.

Looks like it unfortunately. I don't have a series x disc to test and see if they work. I'm pretty mad right now because I bought a whole bunch of 360 games off ebay and looks like none of them will work. Should have bought one first to test a see if it works but I never anticipated any problems. If the drive is dead, that's pretty pathetic considering I've never even used it before and have way way older systems that have disc drives that still work. Out of warranty too so guess there's nothing I can do. Oh well.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Bizarre.

I bought Silent Hill: Downpour 2 days ago and it's working without any issues (or asking passwords) for me.

I mean to to mention that it isn't every game. Only games that require you to sign in to save, it seems. Didn't realize this was a thing with 360 games.

Anyway, Split/Second and Burnout don't have this problem, thankfully. Going to get on a call with MS support on it.

So i just checked the store and arkham origins can't even be bought digitally and splinter cell blacklist costs £14.99 when I bought it on ebay for £3. Now I'm even more pissed. I won't be able to play some of my favourite 360 games and the ones I can, I will have to pay more than I would have if the discs worked. This is so annoying.

Topher

Gold Member
So i just checked the store and arkham origins can't even be bought digitally and splinter cell blacklist costs £14.99 when I bought it on ebay for £3. Now I'm even more pissed. I won't be able to play some of my favourite 360 games and the ones I can, I will have to pay more than I would have if the discs worked. This is so annoying.

Do Xbox One or XSX game discs work?

intbal

Or OG Xbox discs (compatible ones).
Just anything to see if the drive is having issues.

Also, try changing your Series X orientation. Horizontal if you have it vertical and vice versa.
My drive makes weird noises and seems to have read issues when I use it vertically.

I have none to test. This is actually the first time I'm using the disc drive on my series x. Apparently other people have had the same issue with 360 discs not reading on their series x. My uncle has an xbox one. I might pop over later and test these 360 games on his console. I'll see if he has any xbox one games for me to test on my series x. If the 360 games work on his, I'm gonna ask to borrow it for a while.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have none to test. This is actually the first time I'm using the disc drive on my series x. Apparently other people have had the same issue with 360 discs not reading on their series x. My uncle has an xbox one. I might pop over later and test these 360 games on his console. I'll see if he has any xbox one games for me to test on my series x.

That's why I'm wondering if these are BC specific issues and not just problems with discs.

StereoVsn

That's why I'm wondering if these are BC specific issues and not just problems with discs.
That would suck, but I would imagine this would have been all over Reddit.

Honestly based on OPs experience with multiple 360 titles it sounds like there might be a bad drive.

If compatible you sometimes have to restart console with disc in drive when it restarts title will show or give message not compatible. Over the past year some discs have become not compatible and only digital version works.
Delete this comment or the Physical Supremacists will hunt you down!

That would suck, but I would imagine this would have been all over Reddit.

Honestly based on OPs experience with multiple 360 titles it sounds like there might be a bad drive.

Yep. Looks like that's the case. Just my luck. Theres alot of people on reddit who have had the same issue. Did Microsoft use some cheap ass drive or something?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have none to test. This is actually the first time I'm using the disc drive on my series x. Apparently other people have had the same issue with 360 discs not reading on their series x. My uncle has an xbox one. I might pop over later and test these 360 games on his console. I'll see if he has any xbox one games for me to test on my series x. If the 360 games work on his, I'm gonna ask to borrow it for a while.

I feel for you man, it sounds like you got a bum deal and those discs are not working or your drive itself is on the fritz, but give it a shot on your uncle's Xbox and see if it works there.

Last edited:

intbal

Yep. Looks like that's the case. Just my luck. Theres alot of people on reddit who have had the same issue. Did Microsoft use some cheap ass drive or something?
Did you try changing your console orientation?
I tried just now, with my Series X vertically, and it wouldn't recognize a 360 disc.
Changing it to horizontal worked fine.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I'm I correct when saying the Xbox One family of consoles has more backwards compatibility than the Series S/X?

iu
I wished they would add this to the list of og xbox games that are backwards compatible

MikeM

I thought you sold your Series X?

Looks like its the drive and not the discs. Both 360 discs work fine on my uncles xbox one. He has a few xbox one games that im gonna try on my series x when I get home. Maybe my series x can't read dvd discs?

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Have put in the discs in the correct way?
As some already mentioned, it will show up on the disk area on tge dashboard and will load a "xbox series" compatible version from the store
The disc is only needed to verify the license

starfire1978

Neo Member
Delete this comment or the Physical Supremacists will hunt you down!
Ouch , can I remove if so bad? I have all systems and just stating I have a few disc titles that used to work and only digital versions work now. Tekken 6 for example. Nfl2k5/project gothem/soul caliber required to keep 360.

Md Ray

I bought another one on ebay. Decided I wanted to play some 360 BC games and XSX is the best way to do that. Paid exactly what I sold it for so.....
Slightly off-topic: any suggestions for best Xbox 360 BC games to play on Series X? Preferably disc BC games.

intbal

Slightly off-topic: any suggestions for best Xbox 360 BC games to play on Series X? Preferably disc BC games.
Blacklist with X-enhancement looks better than a lot of early Xbox One games. It's a profound upgrade.
Although if you don't like Splinter Cell gameplay, that's not much of a recommendation.

I successfully use 360 games on my series X.

Black ops and GTA 4

I think series X just uses the disk for licensing and actually installs a digital version of the game

Aldynes

Update: I've tried everything and nothing works. I've even reset the whole system. Next step is to try a xbox one or series x game. My uncle has some xbox one games, so I'm gonna head over to his later and see if I can narrow down the problem. There's people on reddit saying that xbox one and series x discs work fine but xbox 360 discs won't read on their console either. So it's happened to others aswell. If xbox one discs don't work then I'll know that the drive is dead.

Hi man, I got the exact same problem you got with my Series X which I bought at release, the disc drive was dead for me, 1 year after i bought mine it started, had to insert and eject multiple times to have the disc icon pop, it started with backward compatible games ( OG Xbox ) but near the end it also affected Xbox One discs too, since I got my warranty I've used it before the 2 year end.

FeralEcho

Leave it to Xbox to fuck up the one thing they were actually doing great with....

Top Bottom