• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox series X backwards compatibility

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah I've tried everything. It won't read dvds. It read blu ray discs fine. I'll get it fixed as it's not expensive to get a disc drive fixed or replaced.

If you have one of those fiber clothes for cleaning eye-glasses, try cleaning the disc with it. Maybe the laser on your disc drive is a bit weaker, might as well give it a shot, right?

Last edited:
If you have one of those fiber clothes for cleaning eye-glasses, try cleaning the disc with it. Maybe the laser on your disc drive is a bit weaker, might as well give it a shot, right?

I've already tried. Thankfully it's not too difficult or costly to fix. I've already called around and it can be fixed for under £50. Might aswell get it done. Better that then buying 360 games digitally because physical 360 games are so cheap. Its well worth it to have the drive working.

intbal

Before you spend any money, I've got one more suggestion.
It's a one-in-a-million shot, but it can't hurt to try it.

Xboxes can install disc games from the Store rather than from disc. When I was having some drive trouble with my Xbox One S, I had use that method instead of installing from the disc.
You said you have Blacklist. Without a disc in the drive, go to the Store on your Xbox, search for Blacklist. Click on the Blacklist page and then insert the disc and wait. If it recognizes the authentication code on the disc, it should give you the option to install it online.
I really don't think it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Yonyx

phil-spencer-cringe.gif
xD Anyone remembers the context of this reaction?

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Make sure you are hooked up to the internet as some games may need an update. The Series X can play Xbox disc games all the way back to the OG XBox.

Here's the official compatibility list:

Last edited:
Before you spend any money, I've got one more suggestion.
It's a one-in-a-million shot, but it can't hurt to try it.

Xboxes can install disc games from the Store rather than from disc. When I was having some drive trouble with my Xbox One S, I had use that method instead of installing from the disc.
You said you have Blacklist. Without a disc in the drive, go to the Store on your Xbox, search for Blacklist. Click on the Blacklist page and then insert the disc and wait. If it recognizes the authentication code on the disc, it should give you the option to install it online.
I really don't think it will work, but it's worth a shot.

I already tried that but it didn't work. The drive won't read dvd discs. I tried both 360 games and dvd movies. It reads blu ray discs fine. I think the laser that reads dvd discs is dead. I don't even know if it ever worked as this is the first time I've tried playing a physical 360 game on it since i bought it 2 years ago. I have an xbox one that can play 360 discs but I won't get the enhancements, like 4k resolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom