• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Images Of Rumored White Xbox Series X With No Disc Drive

Lysandros

It’s used as high speed cache to the CPU but takes up bunch of die space. That makes it harder to shrink the overall package.

Or am I misremembering Xbox One? Pretty sure that had like 32mb and Xbox Series has 70 or 80MB.
That was XboxOne/s with 32 MB indeed, not XSX or XSS.

RagnarokIV

Sony made beautiful consoles up until PLAYSTATION 3. When they went gay ps3 (slim onwards) they made either cheap or tacky looking shit.

Series X looks somewhat presentable. Closest to a PS2.

PS5 looks like a 9 year old designed something “cool gamer X instagram white”. Embarrassing. I hide mine behind the OLED.

My black NZXT PC case looks more presentable than the GayStation 5.

Sort that shit out you fucken benders.

Also, this fake white series X is shit too.

consoles designs peaked with Xbox 360 launch and PLAYSTATION 3

JackMcGunns

You said the Xbox Series X is smaller than the PS5 slim digital edition.

meanwhile the PS5 slim is still bigger than the OG XSX lol.

Is there anything going on upstairs?

Yes, the PS5 is upstairs because it's taller :messenger_winking_tongue:

Look, you came here to argue semantics, the point was the Series X was already very efficient, so making fun that it didn't shrink "AS MUCH" as the PS5 which was fucking massive is stupid. End of story. If there was something going on upstairs for you, it wouldn't be hard to understand what's being discussed, it was never a "My console is smaller than yours' argument.

It’s a rectangular white box. I can’t believe people have such a strong opinion about this. Maybe they should add some PS5 lips and a horizontal stand to make it look more attractive.

Maybe its just me but I never understood the obsession with console looks. You're purchasing one to play video games and maybe only a handful of people will see the thing sitting on your TV stand. What the thing looks like has never had any bearing on my desicion to buy one over the games the console has to offer.

DaGwaphics

It's true, SX is a marvelously engineered device. Great form factor and quieter in the same room as my PS5. More energy efficient as well.

The hardware design team definitely knocked it out of the park.

The PS5 by comparison feels over-engineered. Especially the massive heatsink that lined the entire chassis of the launch-device.

It is something they made it as small as they did, and without the liquid metal that slowly leaks out of containment in vertical mode. Really not a lot of need to redo it when you got it right the first time.

With that said, I'm glad I have the disk version even if it primarily gets used for retro disks or the odd movie (only bluray I've got after selling the old X1 and PS4).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It is something they made it as small as they did, and without the liquid metal that slowly leaks out of containment in vertical mode. Really not a lot of need to redo it when you got it right the first time.

With that said, I'm glad I have the disk version even if it primarily gets used for retro disks or the odd movie (only bluray I've got after selling the old X1 and PS4).

Same. Even if a digital version is $100~$200 cheaper, if given the choice, I'll opt for the version which can read discs just in case.

DaGwaphics

Same. Even if a digital version is $100~$200 cheaper, if given the choice, I'll opt for the version which can read discs just in case.

Same. I'd be shocked if they got the diskless model down to $299, maybe someday at a holiday fire sale. Though they were at $350 for the disk version, so, maybe. I paid the full $500 for mine, but it's a great machine so no regrets.

PS5 GPU's every single component/fixed function unit is comparatively faster than XSX's due to whole GPU running at 22% higher frequency. There is a reason for PS5 consuming up to 20% more power while gaming. Slightly smaller, cheaper APU running at higher frequency is a deliberate design choice for the system. This comes with higher heat dissipation considerations hence the farm factor and heatsink. PS5 is die area/component and price efficient when it comes to performance. It is slightly more or less powerful depending on the specific metric/throughput. You declaring XSX as the more powerful machine as a whole is a mere subjective take, this is not even the manufacturer's current official stance which is "the most powerful Xbox".

In the end it's all about design choices nothing about 'superior engineering'.
Omg idk why this is so hard to admit. Stop. Just stop. Yes of course they are built differently but it's the same god damn architecture (actually technically ps5 isn't even full RDNA2) so guess what...we do have a metric for objectively comparing the POWER (power = work/time) of 2 GPUs that share the same architecture called teraflops. Yes I know every smart guy on GAF likes to say how teraflops aren't a reliable metric but that is only true when you are comparing 2 separate architectures. It's actually the best way to objectively measure the literal definition of power between 2 chips made by the same company on the same god damn architecture. Xbox is able to compute more operations in a shorter period of time. 12TF vs PS5s 10.28. This is the definition of being more powerful. I didn't say better, cooler, faster, more stylish or fun, I said more POWER. Oh and they also have the same CPU architecture but the xbox's is clocked higher so it's more powerful there too. If Xbox was the better selling console and devs were optimizing games for it and then portion to ps5 it would be a major issue for the ps5 much like how the LESS POWERFUL Xbox one struggled to handle the games that were optimized first for the more popular and MORE POWERFUL PS4

Moses85

Will this save the Xbox Series X?

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by TLC Europe

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Omg idk why this is so hard to admit. Stop. Just stop. Yes of course they are built differently but it's the same god damn architecture (actually technically ps5 isn't even full RDNA2) so guess what...we do have a metric for objectively comparing the POWER (power = work/time) of 2 GPUs that share the same architecture called teraflops. Yes I know every smart guy on GAF likes to say how teraflops aren't a reliable metric but that is only true when you are comparing 2 separate architectures. It's actually the best way to objectively measure the literal definition of power between 2 chips made by the same company on the same god damn architecture. Xbox is able to compute more operations in a shorter period of time. 12TF vs PS5s 10.28. This is the definition of being more powerful. I didn't say better, cooler, faster, more stylish or fun, I said more POWER. Oh and they also have the same CPU architecture but the xbox's is clocked higher so it's more powerful there too. If Xbox was the better selling console and devs were optimizing games for it and then portion to ps5 it would be a major issue for the ps5 much like how the LESS POWERFUL Xbox one struggled to handle the games that were optimized first for the more popular and MORE POWERFUL PS4

Issue is there's more to it than just the rating of the components. PS5's memory and bus arrangements are different, so its easier to fully utilize.

Lysandros

Chill out. Did stating a few technical facts cause physical pain or something? "Just stop and admit"?.. Admit to what? Your specific views imposed as an objective one? No need to worry about your personal preferences, those are secure within you. Go on with your system bashing if you are in dire need for it now, no further interaction from me.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It's crazy how everyone just gives Sony a pass on the hardware this gen. It's wild to think the series x is somehow slightly more powerful than the ps5 considering that frankly absurd size difference. To add to the insanity, the one with the worse heating and louder noise is shockingly the console that is way way bigger. Madness.
That hasn't been my experience. Both my OG PS5 (March 2022) and my launch XSX proved to both be very quiet and excellent bits of hardware. But my PS5 is literally silent at all times. Where as my XSX did get noticeably louder on a few games. I could switch between Metro Exodus on both and the XSX would always be louder.

Back to the OP. I still dont see how anyone can look at this refresh and not think its lazy. I get the "if it aint broke dont fix it" approach is reliable. But the lack of effort here couldn't scream any louder. If it allows for a vastly cheaper XSX though and you could buy a black wrap for it, I guess it's of some worth, otherwise its just a worse looking white XSX with less functionality. Why bother?

JackMcGunns

I thought you were talking about someone else the first time you said this. No I didn't say that 🤡

I'm paraphrasing.

The context:

The rumored discless Series X looks to be the same size. How come they didn't attempt to make it smaller like Sony did with the slim? Xbox Too™

My Reasoning:

The Series X was already engineered to be small. It's extremely packed compared to the PS5 despite the horsepower. There doesn't seem to be much room to improve volume just by removing the drive based on its original box design. Also, putting it next to the newer PS5 slim, it still appears to be smaller (shorter)

Your answer:

Yes and lol? It's still a shitty ass refresh four years later

So you said it's a shitty ass refresh 4 years later, maybe I should've quoted your exact words, sounds more "graceful" as opposed to "disgraceful" lol.

I'm paraphrasing.

The context:

The rumored discless Series X looks to be the same size. How come they didn't attempt to make it smaller like Sony did with the slim? Xbox Too™

My Reasoning:

The Series X was already engineered to be small. It's extremely packed compared to the PS5 despite the horsepower. There doesn't seem to be much room to improve volume just by removing the drive based on its original box design. Also, putting it next to the newer PS5 slim, it still appears to be smaller (shorter)

Your answer:

So you said it's a shitty ass refresh 4 years later, maybe I should've quoted your exact words, sounds more "graceful" as opposed to "disgraceful" lol.

We're talking about a refresh releasing in 2024, not the OG 4 years ago.

Yes i'm going to call it shitty when they've done nothing but remove a hole. I'm not just calling it shitty because there's no size difference.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If real, that's the most low-effort console refresh I have ever seen. MS is a joke.
Its not a refresh its just another SKU thats "hopefully"cheaper.
Just like the Xbox One SD is literally just an Xbox One S with the disk drive blanked off.

06939247-ac05-4014-804d-a2a1b00d945e.jpg

SenkiDala

At a VERY agressive price like 249/299€/$ they might sell some (and put the XSS at 149€). More than that would be delusional.

And for those who might thing "no way, you're dreaming", the Gamecube came out in Europe at 199€ which was already a low price and after a year seeing it doesn't sell well the price went down at 99€. 99€ for a modern new gen console.

Also MS released the OG Xbox in Europe at 479€ (wtf were they thinking) when the PS2 was at 299€. Of course they sold no Xbox at all and after 2 months the price went down at 299€. 180€ price cut after 2 months.

The new team at Xbox is so delusional, they are not being realistic. For exemple the console sell not bad in USA and doesn't sell in Europe (9 PS5 for 1 Xbox) so they decide to... RISE UP THE PRICE IN EUROPE. WHAT ? In what world you rise the price of a product that doesn't sell, to sell more ? Same for the One, it didn't sell but they never tried to lower the price under than the PS4 price to compete... It's like they don't give a fuck...

And for those who might think "but but but console sales don't matter, what matters is GP subs and for that xCloud is enough". Well those people must live in some kind of multiverse. In our reality PC gamers don't sub to GP, because 99.99% of them are attached to Steam, some to GOG, but certainly none to the Xbox MS Store. Then xCloud, well it is by far the worst service in terms of quality compared to Gforce Now, RIP Stadia, or even the PS+ Streaming service, and nobody uses the xCloud TV app, it runs like shit, worst than the console / browser counterpart that already runs like shit. Nobody will pay a 15$/month sub to play on that shitty tv/browser xCloud.

Xbox is sinking, for real, their last big shot, Starfield, bombed. They must react by selling their consoles for dirt cheap or they're over. In the gaming market I mean.

Last edited:
Issue is there's more to it than just the rating of the components. PS5's memory and bus arrangements are different, so its easier to fully utilize.
Yes I agree but this is no way contradicts my point about POWER. Xbox is more powerful. Doesn't always mean more performance in every scenario but it as a matter of fact is more powerful

Chill out. Did stating a few technical facts cause physical pain or something? "Just stop and admit"?.. Admit to what? Your specific views imposed as an objective one? No need to worry about your personal preferences, those are secure within you. Go on with your system bashing if you are in dire need for it now, no further interaction from me.
Noooo I need more interaction with you. Please done leave me! Keep interacting with me.

lucbr

It's true, SX is a marvelously engineered device. Great form factor and quieter in the same room as my PS5. More energy efficient as well.

The hardware design team definitely knocked it out of the park.

The PS5 by comparison feels over-engineered. Especially the massive heatsink that lined the entire chassis of the launch-device.

I completely agree. I still impressed after a few years when I look at both machines next to each other. Series X is quieter, smaller. And when we think about energy consumption, up to 30% less, man it's so impressive.

Because of that, and quick resume, I always use SX to play third-party games. The performance is almost the same most of the time (impressive as well when taking in account that developers will always optimise with PS5 in mind being SX an afterthought).

If they still make hardware I hope they keep this team.

King Dazzar

If they still make hardware I hope they keep this team.
For all the greatness of their XSX hardware. They definitely need to rethink the expansion storage side of things. Especially if they're continuing with the all digital push. And whoever designed the Series S, whilst improving its cpu, but making it unable to run the X1X native 4k res and enhancements, should be taken out and shot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes I agree but this is no way contradicts my point about POWER. Xbox is more powerful. Doesn't always mean more performance in every scenario but it as a matter of fact is more powerful

That's fair, but its very much a PS3 versus 360 type situation where making the full use of the hardware is something that only a minority of devs have the desire or opportunity to strive for, *except* that in this instance its showing the fundamental differences don't need to be great to have the same effect.

It really makes me wonder how little of the potential afforded by high end PC components (like a 4090) is actually getting leveraged when nobody really is writing specifically for it. What we mostly see is easy stuff like jacking up frame-rate and native res, things that can largely be equivalenced through ML stuff like frame-gen and upscaling.

Top Bottom