• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chronicles of Riddick will be DELISTED from GOG.com soon

Tizoc

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_arena_removal

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up to let you know that, unfortunately, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena will be leaving the GOG.com catalog as of 3pm UTC+1 today. We're sad to see the title go but will do our best to hopefully bring it back at some point in the future!
Dark Athena to be exact.
Grab it off GOG.com quick if you hadn't already.
https://www.gog.com/game/the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena

It is not on sale FYI.

OldMuffin

Hmmm I guess the rights are changing hand. Was Atari the last ones with the game rights? Hopefully some other company will pick up the rights and give us the sequel we deserve!

Lagamorph

I assume it's the same as Steam in that if it's in your gog library you can still re-download? I don't have to go and urgently download the installer now and archive it myself?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmmm I guess the rights are changing hand. Was Atari the last ones with the game rights? Hopefully some other company will pick up the rights and give us the sequel we deserve!

It's just a case of the licence expiring. Universal is happy to license the IP to multiple parties simultaneously as The Merc Files has nothing to do with Atari.

I assume it's the same as Steam in that if it's in your gog library you can still re-download? I don't have to go and urgently download the installer now and archive it myself?

Yes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Damn licensing issues.

Game is great, probably one of the best game based on a licensed/movie property. Highly recommended.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Doen't this game have DRM that limits the number of installs?

OldMuffin

It's just a case of the licence expiring. Universal is happy to license the IP to multiple parties simultaneously as The Merc Files has nothing to do with Atari

Hmm isn't the license to make mobile games and console/pc games different? I'm going by the fact that EA makes the console/pc star wars games while Disney mostly take cares of the mobile efforts.

Flintty

Damn. This was a glorious game on OG Xbox - the graphics were stunning at the time. I might pick it up just in case *panic buying*

O.DOGG

It will still be available to those who have it in their library though, right?
Edit: Ah, saw the answer above. Alright, then.

And this is why I am never going full digital, I still have copies of games I was bought in the 90's.

It's GOG dude. They:

A) Let you download a DRM-free installer that contains the entire game that never phones home
B) Let you redownload the game if you've already bought it even if they can no longer sell it.

JaseC

Hmm isn't the license to make mobile games and console/pc games different? I'm going by the fact that EA makes the console/pc star wars games while Disney mostly take cares of the mobile efforts.

There's no actual standard beyond the de facto one that exists simply because companies tend to license an IP to one party at a time. While Disney did reserve the right to release its own games "within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories", EA's contract has no restrictions and indeed it has released a mobile game of its own.

LewieP

I already had this, but it's a shame for anyone who misses this. I usually prefer Steam, but specially got this from GOG because of the DRM on all other versions.

ramparter

Banned
It's GOG dude. They:

A) Let you download a DRM-free installer that contains the entire game that never phones home
B) Let you redownload the game if you've already bought it even if they can no longer sell it.
No it's digital so they send you a swat team in your home and make sure you are never able a delisted game ever again.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Did they say why?

In other words, do we know if it'll be pulled from other storefronts like Steam or Games on Demand?

OldMuffin

There's no actual standard beyond the de facto one that exists simply because companies tend to license an IP to one party at a time. While Disney did reserve the right to release its own games "within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories", EA's contract has no restrictions and indeed it has released a mobile game of its own.
Fair enough, trying to keep up how licenses work is confusing as hell and usually just ends up throwing a monkey wrench in rerelease (see remakes for goldeneye and no one lives for ever).

JaseC

Did they say why?

It's not CDPR's place to say why, but it's undoubtedly due to the licence expiring.

In other words, do we know if it'll be pulled from other storefronts like Steam or Games on Demand?

Atari voluntarily pulled the game from the Steam Store back in April 2013, but it'll also disappear from XBL if the GOG removal is indeed licence-related, yes.

Good thing I got it two years ago, probably one of the best movie games ever made it's a shame they never got around to making a third game.

MacDragon

Neo Member
Ah, good, looks like I picked this up in a cheap gog sale other year.. got it on steam too, but considering the nasty drm there, good to have it on gog.

Yeah, copies of PC games from the 90s must work really great today.

You can get most of them working the same way GOG does (Dosbox / SCUMM / Fan Patches) or via Windows images on a virtual machine (Microsoft actually provides fully setup VM images for testing web page backwards compatibility) if you want to. Though you should probably be digitally imaging them since 90s CDs are probably getting sketchy by now and floppy disk readers are hard to find.

GOG mostly just works out preconfigures it for you. They do so some compatability stuff themselves too , to be fair (and remove DRM/copy protection). And sort out commercial rights of course but that doesn't matter much to an end user.

Bunga

Brilliant games, especially Escape from Butcher Bay. I played it years and years after its initial release and was really impressed.

IronRinn

I think I have a disc copy of this somewhere, but easier just to get the GOG version. Thanks for the heads up. A classic and one of my favorite games.

You can get most of them working the same way GOG does (Dosbox / SCUMM / Fan Patches) or via Windows images on a virtual machine (Microsoft actually provides fully setup VM images for testing web page backwards compatibility) if you want to. Though you should probably be digitally imaging them since 90s CDs are probably getting sketchy by now and floppy disk readers are hard to find.
I'm pretty sure if I went through all these floppy games I bought, they'd all be corrupt. They already tended to crap up back in the day, so I can't imagine they'd work after 2 decades.
PC was honestly a terrible example to make a point about how robust physical media is, because at the end of the day, GOG is probably a more durable solution than solely relying on physical media to not die.

Erasus

Dang I have the game on disc somewhere but would be nice to have digitally

I also remember Securom on the disc version being a pain

Tonyx

This delisting thing is terrible.

I don't think the owner of the rights will benefit from it not being availbe in digital stores so.. why delist?
Sad Panda.

JaseC

Its also not on steam??

Well... now I might "have" to buy this.
No sale :(
At work also, so cant buy it

GameStop sells Steam keys, but only to US customers. That and the Steam version is riddled with TAGES whereas the GOG version is DRM-free.

LewieP

This delisting thing is terrible.

I don't think the owner of the rights will benefit from it not being availbe in digital stores so.. why delist?
Sad Panda.
I think sometimes there has been an attempted negotiation to extend the license for a fee, but then it didn't pan out.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I went to buy this, but already own it. Apparently this was only $3 during a sale.

If you grab it on XBL make sure you also grab the free Butcher Bay commentary add on because that will go bye-bye too.

Not sure if I want to spend the $15 but I better search inside me real quick lol

Top Bottom