• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero (Switch) review thread

Scoops

Banned
blaster-master-zero-3-1-ds1-670x341-constrain.jpg

OT - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351043

Meta - 84 (6 reviews)

Nintendo World Report - 9/10

Blaster Master Zero is the Blaster Master follow-up we've been waiting for since 1988. Is it a revolutionary game? Probably not. But it is a dang fine video game that completely (blaster) masters what it sets out to do. With an amazing progression, fun co-op multiplayer, and absolutely gorgeous retro style, Inti Creates has created a new classic and must-buy for the Nintendo Switch.

Video Chums - 9/10

Blaster Master Zero is the definition of a retro remake done right. Inti Creates did a phenomenal job of improving every aspect of the original to make in an enjoyable experience for existing fans and newcomers alike so hop in your tank and start having a blast.

Dual Shockers - 9/10

Blaster Master Zero does everything right in terms of rebooting an old franchise. The game retains all the quirks and cues fans of the series adore and presents them in a way that a new generation of gamers can enjoy. The pacing and difficulty is set just right to keep gamers entertained for hours. In short, this is now the definitive way to play a game from my childhood that I've held so close to heart.

Nintendo Life - 8/10

Blaster Master Zero is a lovely addition to the Switch's library. We suspect that it will help to fill the gap between major retail releases for anxious Switch owners looking for a low-impact game to play on the go. As Blaster Master Zero features simplistic visuals, we were able to squeeze some extra battery life out of our Switch while playing it when compared to some of the more visually intense titles already on offer.

Destructoid - 8/10

Blaster Master Zero is a loving recreation that serves as both a companion and in some ways a replacement for the original. While I'll always see myself going back to the NES classic for the rest of my days, Zero is a good way to introduce the series to a newcomer without scaring them off.

Cub3d - 7/10

Blaster Master Zero is a brief and faithful successor to Blaster Master. This may not be as hard as the NES game; it has modern conveniences like checkpoints and save files as it slavishly pays lip service to the classic. It does Sunsoft justice and perfectly captures that distinctive Sunsoft sound that they were known for in the NES generation. It is just too bad Inti Creates played it too safe and did not try to truly push Blaster Master Zero to the heights it could have reached. For $9.99, it is a decent throwback retro title.

jonno394

Great game so glad reviews are looking good. Alongside Shovel Knight and Voez, these are must own digital titles on the switch imo.

Great game so glad reviews are looking good. Alongside Shovel Knight and Voez, these are must own digital titles on the switch imo.

I'd say Fast RMX is worth it if you haven't played Fast Racing Neo on Wii U already. The indies/downloadable games have been great. Also, Snipperclips is awesome too!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Well deserved. Inti always delivers, except when they unwisely commit to releasing a UE3 game on seventeen different platforms.

I do hope none of the professional reviews complain about lack of Pro Controller support in the Switch version. It's the sort of thing that would drop the game a full point on a ten point scale for me, but everyone knows it is being patched in a few days, right?

Fast is fucking rad.

Also, I've been having a lot of fun with Shock Troopers in short spurts :p

Yeah, I need to get Fast at some point soon and I will. Definitely enough content there for me to double dip since I had the Wii U version, but never got the DLC.

Been really enjoying Specter of Torment a lot when I'm not playing Zelda after finishing through another play through of Shovel Knight's campaign (Shovel of Hope). Really awesome. I've played a little of Blaster Master Zero and enjoyed it so far, but I'll probably get it to after Zelda and Specter of Torment are done.

Plus, I've got Isaac coming later this week so that'll be a time sink. :p

mazillion

I haven't had time to put more than a couple hours into this game. It was fun for the first half hour but it was so damn easy that I quickly got bored. Does the challenge ramp up at all?

Is Voez really that good? It just looks like a reskined Tap Tap Revenge and Tap Tap got old fast.

Pinky

Banned
I've only played up to the first boss(Zelda is consuming me), but it's a really tight game. Some good ol' retro fun. Looks crisp and clean in handheld mode.

I played the 3DS version over the weekend, and this is easily the best Blaster Master game ever. As much as I love the original, it was just too damn hard. I always got stuck at that damn crab boss that shoots the endless bubbles at you. This game is much easier, thankfully.

I may double dip on the Switch version after Pro Controller support is added in, but I heard it had some weird pixel scaling going on that turned me off to it. Can anyone confirm if that's true or if there are scaling options for this title?

Tain

I haven't had time to put more than a couple hours into this game. It was fun for the first half hour but it was so damn easy that I quickly got bored. Does the challenge ramp up at all?

This game looks good but talk of how easy it is has been keeping me away. I'm pretty picky about difficulty in 2D action games. Shovel Knight, for example, was ultimately solid enough (not great) but the first half dragged quite a bit and I wouldn't have bothered if it were notably easier.

This game is so much fun. I've always wanted to get into Blaster Master, but thought the NES game was too hard back in the day. Either I'm better at gaming now, or this one is a little more user friendly, but I'm loving every second of this game on my Switch.

AzerPhire

I love how Jason talks about his master blaster getting excited around Eve. Did a double take when he first said then not a minute later mentions it again.

Slacker

Is Voez really that good? It just looks like a reskined Tap Tap Revenge and Tap Tap got old fast.

It's not bad if you like that kind of game. I'll probably buy it eventually. Download it on your cell phone first for a free demo.

I'd say Fast RMX is worth it if you haven't played Fast Racing Neo on Wii U already. The indies/downloadable games have been great. Also, Snipperclips is awesome too!

I just wish fast RMX had a demo, want a racing fix, but I was so terrible at Fzero and wipeout that I know I will be bad at it lol.

This game looks good but talk of how easy it is has been keeping me away. I'm pretty picky about difficulty in 2D action games. Shovel Knight, for example, was ultimately solid enough (not great) but the first half dragged quite a bit and I wouldn't have bothered if it were notably easier.

I haven't finished it yet but you may want to stay away from it. It is very easy, if you keep your weapon powered up in the overhead actions it's pretty much a cakewalk. I have mowed down most of the bosses in 10 seconds or so. One died so fast I don't think it even went into its second attack animation/sequence, or even moved at all.

I'm enjoying it, it looks and sounds and controls nice, the level layouts are generally well done. But if challenge is a big selling point for you I don't think this will even come close to meeting your standard.

Tamanator

Agreed. I even own FAST on Wii U but double dipped for the Switch version. Such a great game to play on the go and the local multiplayer is superb.

I must pick up Blaster Master Zero as well, sounds like an excellent game. Truly an early surprise to the Switch library.

Pretty fun game with great HD rumble from what little I've played.

Only worry I have is whether it gets samey latter on, but I've been too busy with zelda to give it more then 30 mins.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

co-signed on Fast. It is an amazing game for the $20 price. Scratched the F-Zero itch that I had been having for the longest time.

Blaster Master is fun. Never played the original NES title. Been playing it co-op with my little sister and we've been having a blast so far.

Zutrax

Anyone know if the game is worth playing without any nostalgic fondness for the original? I've never played Blaster Master in my life, but this looks like a nice new age retro title. But next to Shovel Knight the decision gets a lot harder.

Finished the campaign last night and had a blast. BMZ felt like a GBA game to me. Essentially an enhanced remake of the original, but with enough extra functionality and content that it felt fresh. Not sure if this joke has been made yet, but it would have been more accurate if they appended the word "Mission" to the end of the title, if you know what I mean. Glad it's reviewing pretty well so that it will get some more attention.

Anyone know if the game is worth playing without any nostalgic fondness for the original? I've never played Blaster Master in my life, but this looks like a nice new age retro title. But next to Shovel Knight the decision gets a lot harder.

You definitely don't need any nostalgia for the original. In fact, nostalgia might actually hurt one's opinion, as this game is really, really easy compared to the NES game.

I'm stuck on this decision as well. This or Shovel Knight?

Shovel Knight is far better. Blaster Master is good, but SK is fantastic.

Symphonic

I'm stuck on this decision as well. This or Shovel Knight?

GDGF

Soothsayer
So glad this reviewed well! Downloaded it a few days ago but I haven't had time to sink my teeth into it yet (because of Zelda)

Looking forward to playing it later.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm a huge fan of the original so this is a pretty decent remake, a little heavy handed with the story but whatever. Worth ten bucks

Hope this heavily-curated Switch eShop maintains this level of quality. Wii U has been a trash fire for far too long when it comes to digital-only stuff.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Is there a manual for the game anywhere? I'm curious about some features, and I can't seem to find one in game or on the home screen launch menu.

I'm kinda sad, I'm the only person around my circle of friends whose heard of blaster master.

"Oh man! Did you see try are bringing back blaster master!?"

"? Is that the game that deals with math?"

Doh!

tebunker

Banned
I'm kinda sad, I'm the only person around my circle of friends whose heard of blaster master.

Doh!
Sounds like you need to show your friends frog fractions

Dan-o

Yeah, the game is easier than the old NES version, a game I had played a lot but never finished, but it's incredibly fun. I mainly stuck with the default gun throughout most of it.

I think I'm at the final boss now. Beat the first iteration, but as soon as he changes and powers up... I'm lost. Can't figure out how to avoid his attacks. Only tried once or twice, though, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Is it port begging to want the music on vinyl? Because... I want this music on vinyl.

Doh!

Not going to lie, every time I see the title my brain wants to take me there even though I know it's wrong.

Top Bottom