• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo restricting ports to the Switch within the first six months of release?

Got an email from the Hex Heroes kickstarter project, updating on the current status of the game. In particular, they take some time to address the possibility of porting to the Switch, and here's what they have to say:
Let us be clear, at this time, Prismatic does not have access to the Switch development kit. Few devs do, in fact. We met briefly with Nintendo at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco but they didn't go into specifics about how to obtain a dev kit. As they've been saying publicly, they're being selective and want to curate the content on the Switch more. If you're concerned about our absence from the Nindie showcase, fret not - Nintendo will pretty much only feature games that have already made their way through, or are in the middle of the certification process.

Nintendo is being specific about Switch releases: No ports within the first ~6 months/launch window. This is somewhat of a plus for us because Hex Heroes cannot directly be ported to the Switch anyway; it will require some design changes.
We're speculating that Nintendo will be more amenable to talking when we've pitched them on a Switch version of Hex Heroes. We want to get the ball rolling this month and we do that by delivering a build of the game to them.

Hadn't seen this specific restriction come up previously; if it has, I apologise. Would suggest that any ports released in that window will have had to be under consideration since before the release of the Switch itself, though it could just be the specific response they've given Prismatic.

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
It's an interesting conundrum- maybe they want to avoid another "Batman Arkham City: But With Gloves!" Incident, where people thought the system would only get shit ports spammed. Also, that possibly could get a large influx of games during the holidays, under the guise of "look at all these games on the way!"
We'll see if this benefits them in the long run.

Oregano

I think that's a mis-characterization of what Damon Baker said, which is that Nintendo is focusing on games that will release at least day and date on Switch. It's obviously not a hard and fast rule considering Tomorrow Corp is releasing three ports this week.

cclittle

Neo Member
Switch will never be the true heir to the Vita unless Nintendo let's through (and helps) as many indies as possible.

This is smart. One of the main problems with the Wii U was the fact that the only games coming out in that first year were ports. New games and exclusives are important here.

This can't be true. Most of what's available are ports.

But Skylanders.

And Setsuna.

Hence my emphasis that what it may infer is that ports proposed or applied for after the launch will also not be allowed to release within six months of the launch. All of the 'Nindies' and current third party ports we know of were obviously in talks with Nintendo before the Switch hit the market.

watershed

Banned
I think that's a mis-characterization of what Damon Baker said, which is that Nintendo is focusing on games that will release at least day and date on Switch. It's obviously not a hard and fast rule considering Tomorrow Corp is releasing three ports this week.
Yeah this. He basically said recent or original content is the priority but ports of older games are coming and even then we have stuff like Fast Racing RMX. Its clearly not a strict NO PORTS IN THE 1ST 6 MONTHS policy. Just look at World of Goo coming this week.

This is smart. One of the main problems with the Wii U was the fact that the only games coming out in that first year were ports. New games and exclusives are important here.

Ports can still be important and are there to fill the droughts between the new games. Just look at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Yeah this. He basically said recent or original content is the priority but ports of older games are coming and even then we have stuff like Fast Racing RMX. Its clearly not a strict NO PORTS IN THE 1ST 6 MONTHS policy. Just look at World of Goo coming this week.

Read what I wrote and bolded again, particularly the bit on content that's already approved and in the process of being ported to Switch, rather than the likes of Hex Heroes which would be applying after the Switch. Hence also my choice of word for the title being 'restricting' (as in, limiting), rather than a total ban or block. Obviously there are ports coming, but this is apparently one of the restrictions that could affect some interested parties.

I think they just don't want it to end up like mobile stores or Steam where there are tons of shit games out there. Not saying that the Hex Heroes is a shit game, but I just think that are being careful right now to try to curate it.

Although that "Vroom in the night sky" game on the U.K. EShop looks pretty damn shitty to me... lol

At this point Nintendo needs all the ports they can get... because the release dates for their first party ports are taking way to long. If I were Nintendo I would release mk8 mid march, and would have ported more games from the Wii U line up. Like bayonetta 2 and pikmin 3.

If the Switch didn't have ports, its only title would be 1-2 switch.

It doesn't make sense with the games we already have and some coming soon. :/

Read what I wrote and bolded again, particularly the bit on content that's already approved and in the process of being ported to Switch, rather than the likes of Hex Heroes which would be applying after the Switch. Hence also my choice of word for the title being 'restricting' (as in, limiting), rather than a total ban or block. Obviously there are ports coming, but this is apparently one of the restrictions that could affect some interested parties.

There's a difference between a port Nintendo is confident in releasing themselves o n their platform and a third party port where quality can be more dubious to them.

So they should limit games released on their platform when it could use more games because there's a possibility the port can be bad? Unless the developer has a track record of releasing terribly preforming games I don't see the issue here.

watershed

Banned
Yeah Baker said to IGN that content is coming later. Nintendo is prioritizing original or more recent games in the launch window. Ports of older games are both already present and there is more to come.

This doesn't make sense. Binding of Isaac comes out on Friday. Shovel Knight was a launch game. So...???

I have a feeling it will end up like Microsoft's "launch parity" clause - they make plenty of exceptions for already hugely successful games.

This is stupid, instead of giving the option to release more games lets restrict ourselves and release less.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
its fine, gives them more dev time and gives me more of a reason to care about the library we have now.
What library? The launch slate was absolutely pathetic. Binding of Issac and Tomorrow Corps games are gonna be the first titles to actually let me play my Switch.

They even have those crappy neogeo ports... are they gonna fix these in the future? I do want to get Kof98 unless waku waku7 the only game with issues.

Oreoleo

This doesn't make sense. Binding of Isaac comes out on Friday. Shovel Knight was a launch game. So...???

Isn't the new Shovel Knight campaign a timed exclusive to the Switch? So I can see it getting a pass for that. Stuff like BoI and WORLD OF GOO though? I dunno..

its fine, gives them more dev time and gives me more of a reason to care about the library we have now.

What library?

You have:

Zelda
A bunch of junk
A bunch of cool older indie games that have been on sale on various platforms for 2-3$ at this point.

That's about it.

Skyzard

Banned
I think this is so it doesn't give a negative image of an older game machine if companies only invest ports to capitalize on the lack of selection on their new product at their base's expense.

Doubt it means they won't do it, and they'll make exceptions if it's really desired I'm sure.

What library? The launch slate was absolutely pathetic. Binding of Issac and Tomorrow Corps games are gonna be the first titles to actually let me play my Switch.

Did you buy a Switch, and not buy BOTW?

I did not think that was something that would happen with the launch lineup.

antonz

Nothing that absurd about the policy. if you want to bring an already released Indie title then it better be a massive title. Nintendo is not interested in just being a dumping site out the gate

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Did you buy a Switch, and not buy BOTW?

I did not think that was something that would happen with the launch lineup.
I did buy it because there was literally nothing else available lol.

I'm playing Horizon so I want to finish that before tackling Zelda.

Nothing that absurd about the policy. if you want to bring an already released Indie title then it better be a massive title. Nintendo is not interested in just being a dumping site out the gate
The next two games from Nintendo are ports! How does this policy make any sense?

Top Bottom