• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo restricting ports to the Switch within the first six months of release?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This isn't to do with ports that were in dev before the Switch release.

Is this a speculation on your part? That ports that are in dev are exception.

Is what Hex Heroes said (no ports within the first ~6 months/launch window) a speculation derived from what Nintendo said publicly though?

antonz

I did buy it because there was literally nothing else available lol.

I'm playing Horizon so I want to finish that before tackling Zelda.

The next two games from Nintendo are ports! How does this policy make any sense?

Nintendo can do whatever it wants to do with its own games and hardware.

As far as the ports coming They are ports of successful titles. is it that hard to understand? They are open to successful titles that are quality. They have no interest in Wiiware again which was a dumping ground for any shit a 2 year old could throw togeather

We're just trying to evangelize what that unique perspective is for Nintendo Switch and what unique opportunities are available for it, and also to continue to look forward. There's a lot of fans, a lot of developers that have made content in the past and believe that it deserves to be on Nintendo Switch and maybe it will be eventually but we feel we have a responsibility to honor our fans and give them new and original experiences, and make sure they're really excited every time they come to the Nintendo eShop to see what's new."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-07-indies-on-nintendo-weve-been-treated-like-royalty

Obviously a branding thing.

Can't have late ports of very recent games as it implies Nintendo can't secure deals and/or develop the recent game in time.

Is this a speculation on your part? That ports that are in dev are exception.

Is what Hex Heroes said (no ports within the first ~6 months/launch window) a speculation derived from what Nintendo said publicly though?

Partial speculation derived from what was in the email - they specified how the Nindies showcase was of games already approved or in the process of certification, thus implying that as possible criteria - though I also raised the possibility in the OP that it might have been only the specìfic response that Hex Heroes got from Nintendo (ie, 'We're not gonna let you guys have a port within six months'). I put the question mark in the title for a reason.

Skyzard

Banned
They really should have secured up more deals (especially with this rule in place) if they haven't already then they should let up asap.

They can't exactly stop advertising till Christmas and let down over a million people who've bought one already who they'll need for word of mouth...unless they kill it with some big surprise announcements at holidays. Mario Odyssey and paid online doesn't mesh well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If they're doing this to indies mainly it's baffling. I can understand highlighting the new stuff, but there's a real dearth of content for the system at the moment so restricting releases seems odd, and refusing indies on this basis is stupid.

IC5

There is zero sense in restricting access to dev kits.

Restrict certification and ability to release, ok.

But by the time Nintendo eases up on restrictions....all of these games and their devs could have had that much time on real dev hardware. Even if said games never release----experience on dev kits will pay off in later games. And likely inspire new ideas.

That seems dumb. The only game my brother bought for his was a port (BOTW), and there's nothing on the horizon he's interested in until Christmas.

Why limit games on a console with such a sparse library? Old ports are better than no games at all.

ArtHands

Partial speculation derived from what was in the email - they specified how the Nindies showcase was of games already approved or in the process of certification, thus implying that as possible criteria - though I also raised the possibility in the OP that it might have been only the specìfic response that Hex Heroes got from Nintendo (ie, 'We're not gonna let you guys have a port within six months'). I put the question mark in the title for a reason.

these seems like a bunch of speculations stringed together, no offense. On their part they said they only talked to Nintendo briefly, and they haven't know how to even get a dev kit. They are also speculating that Nintendo will be more amenable to talking.

I am rather skeptic and have doubt about the 'restriction'.

these seems like a bunch of speculations stringed together, no offense. On their part they said they only talked to Nintendo briefly, and they haven't know how to even get a dev kit. They are also speculating that Nintendo will be more amenable to talking.

I am rather skeptic and have doubt about the 'restriction'.

Honestly I just appreciate the fact you at least clearly read the OP enough to raise the point on their discussions with Nintendo and getting a dev kit.

The big uncertainty is how/why they're able to specify six months/the launch window as the time frame. That sounds quite a decisive remark and I don't think the devs would come to it purely of their own accord.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is stupid. Nintendo desperately needs more games on their platform, they shouldn't be selective at all.

Yes they should, lest we end up with an eshop full of Meme Run level games.

That said they should also be making an exception for quality titles. But I understand not flooding the shop in the first year of the Switch's release. Gotta give the devs that are there some time to make money.

Cuburt

It's an interesting conundrum- maybe they want to avoid another "Batman Arkham City: But With Gloves!" Incident, where people thought the system would only get shit ports spammed. Also, that possibly could get a large influx of games during the holidays, under the guise of "look at all these games on the way!"
We'll see if this benefits them in the long run.

I think this is more of what there aim is.

There are ports on the Switch, but besides being handpicked, I think there is enough new games and enough new content to get people excited about the system. Even in upcoming games we know about, it doesn't feel like there is much stuff in the way of just "same ol'" ports but stuff that feels like it belongs on the system.

Ports are good and I doubt Nintendo would turn down even a vanilla port of something like GTA V if Rockstar really wanted it, but besides the reality of a scenario like that being very unlikely, I think Nintendo highlighting what is new and highlighting how games can be a good fit for the platform is a much better strategy than looking desperate for any game that developers will toss their way.

That desperation on the Wii U just created all sorts of poor scenarios for the platform because Nintendo allowed 3rd parties determine the perception of the console, and a lot of that just made the console look bad, even when it was getting games.

Lylo

I think the main reason for this is that Nintendo in fact doesn't want to scare the indie developers. Too many games could flood the Switch games library and canibalize the sales, it would hurt some indies and the devs maybe wouldn't want to release another game for the Switch. After all, there are about 1.5 million units on costumer's hands, it isn't that much yet.

fernoca

But Skylanders.

And Setsuna.
Though Skylanders is 5 months old now, Switch port started months ago.

Setsuna is 8 months old, but Switch version was pitched and started months ago.

So they entered development earlier than six months old. :p

I think the main reason for this is that Nintendo in fact doesn't want to scare the indie developers. Too many games could flood the Switch games library and canibalize the sales, it would hurt some indies and the devs maybe wouldn't want to release another game for the Switch. After all, there are about 1.5 million units on costumer's hands, it isn't that much yet.

And Nintendo are pushing the Switch as a console, having too many app store type titles on there might make it look like just another tablet to some consumers.

senj

This isn't to do with ports that were in dev before the Switch release.

That doesn't make any sense. If a game wasn't even in development before Mar 3, 2017, it's not getting released in the next 6 months. Even for a port a project just isn't going to get done, QA'd, approved, and manufactured that fast. The "rule" would be pointless.

Given that there are ports out now, and coming out in the next 6 months, either he is flat-out-wrong, or he was talking about something else (Nindie promotion support isn't going to ports in the next 6 months?) and spoke poorly/is being misunderstood.

I can see the Nintendo's point in this one after how badly the late and missing features ports took a damage into Wii U's credibility as well scared away any possibility of third-party support exodus in the machine. If that's the case to avoid repeating the Wii U scenario, then they are doing the right stuff. I hope they really are more rigid over third-party support quality on Switch, something that was an issue in their latest home consoles.

Are you seriously telling us the WiiU would have done better with no ports, just fewer games overall?

Yeah, this. I mean, it's not like a 'no ports' rule is going to make devs think "Oh, well let's just throw together an entirely new game instead!". It just means fewer Switch games.

This is stupid. Nintendo desperately needs more games on their platform, they shouldn't be selective at all.

Yes, they should. There's a reason I started ignoring the Wii U eShop years ago.

You should watch the Nindies Direct. Ports are obviously happening and they're happening already. And I hope Nintendo continues to curate.

ArtHands

Honestly I just appreciate the fact you at least clearly read the OP enough to raise the point on their discussions with Nintendo and getting a dev kit.

The big uncertainty is how/why they're able to specify six months/the launch window as the time frame. That sounds quite a decisive remark and I don't think the devs would come to it purely of their own accord.

I did read the part about the 6 months. I am saying this looks to be something that they thought themselves, not something Nintendo told them.

Even if you are saying that they are doing it to curate the library, the whole "games in development before Switch launch" being an exception looks to be a weird qualifier.

Peterc

Switch will never be the true heir to the Vita unless Nintendo let's through (and helps) as many indies as possible.

They are doing this. I think it's the first time indies getting that kind of support from someone. You can't of course do it for everyone. Otherwise you'll get bad software like android and ios. Uou don't want that.
Also thry need to be careful that the games doesn't have errors that could be vulnerable fir hacking

That just doesn't make sense. Look at the indie game, many of which are ports. A far as I can tell Lego City has no additional content. That is a port albeit a Nintendo funded port.

NimbusD

Being as hex heroes has been in development forever, and hasn't even been release on Wii u yet. I can see Nintendo being wary of letting them push out a questionable quality product early on in the life of the switch.

Obviously some ports have been allowed, I own one and a half of them. (fast rmx is sort of one).

duckroll

These are all ports of games already released on other platforms:
- Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
- Puyo Puyo Tetris S
- I am Setsuna
- Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
- Disgaea 5

These are all games which are also/will also be on other platforms:
- Zelda BotW
- Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
- Blaster Master Zero

These are upcoming games which are already released on other platforms:
- Mario Kart 8
- Cave Story
- Stardew Valley
- Terraria
- Binding of Isaac
- World of Goo

These are upcoming games which will also be on other platforms:
- Yooka Laylee
- Bloodstained
- Snake Pass
- Wonderboy
- Rime

The list goes on and on and on. This is not exhaustive. It they're restricting ports, they're doing a piss poor job of it!

Circinus

Seems stupid to me.

Not to mention, considering Switch is a handheld, having a portable version of a game (port) is an extra selling point for people interested in playing games in handheld mode.

Also, just for indie games? Obviously wouldn't make any sense to restrict games like GTA V, Minecraft, Overwatch etc if the companies that respectively own those games want to port them to Switch.

This is smart. One of the main problems with the Wii U was the fact that the only games coming out in that first year were ports. New games and exclusives are important here.

?

So you think that when companies can't do ports they're just going to develop a brand new game and release it exclusively on Switch?

If the Wii U didn't have ports in the first year, then it would somehow have more exclusives? (maybe a few smaller companies would be willing to try to make one exclusive for publicity reasons and because there would be very little competition, but obviously it wouldn't be worth the trade-off for Nintendo)

That seems dumb. The only game my brother bought for his was a port (BOTW), and there's nothing on the horizon he's interested in until Christmas.

Why limit games on a console with such a sparse library? Old ports are better than no games at all.

Old ports are toxic and damage the brand image.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
How is ARMS a port?

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what that post was talking about. Next releases are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS, AFAIK. I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is currently the only officially announced Nintendo port on the horizon (unless you count FE Warriors).

ramparter

Banned
These are all ports of games already released on other platforms:
- Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
- Puyo Puyo Tetris S
- I am Setsuna
- Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
- Disgaea 5

These are all games which are also/will also be on other platforms:
- Zelda BotW
- Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
- Blaster Master Zero

These are upcoming games which are already released on other platforms:
- Mario Kart 8
- Cave Story
- Stardew Valley
- Terraria
- Binding of Isaac
- World of Goo
Those games have been approved for a while and are releasing soon, probably the restriction was placed later as a counter measure.

Oh and I don't think it applies for those since they are fresh games:
These are upcoming games which will also be on other platforms:
- Yooka Laylee
- Bloodstained
- Snake Pass
- Wonderboy
- Rime

Top Bottom