• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paranoia in Trump's White House

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
‘People are scared’: Paranoia seizes Trump’s White House

A culture of paranoia is consuming the Trump administration, with staffers increasingly preoccupied with perceived enemies — inside their own government.

In interviews, nearly a dozen White House aides and federal agency staffers described a litany of suspicions: that rival factions in the administration are trying to embarrass them, that civil servants opposed to President Donald Trump are trying to undermine him, and even that a “deep state” of career military and intelligence officials is out to destroy them.

Aides are going to great lengths to protect themselves. They’re turning off work-issued smartphones and putting them in drawers when they arrive home from work out of fear that they could be used to eavesdrop. They’re staying mum in meetings out of concern that their comments could be leaked to the press by foes.

Many are using encrypted apps that automatically delete messages once they’ve been read, or are leaving their personal cellphones at home in case their bosses initiate phone checks of the sort that press secretary Sean Spicer deployed last month to try to identify leakers on his team.

It’s an environment of fear that has hamstrung the routine functioning of the executive branch. Senior advisers are spending much of their time trying to protect turf, key positions have remained vacant due to a reluctance to hire people deemed insufficiently loyal, and Trump’s ambitious agenda has been eclipsed by headlines surrounding his unproven claim that former President Barack Obama tapped his phone lines at Trump Tower during the 2016 campaign.

One senior administration aide, who like most others interviewed for this story spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the degree of suspicion had created a toxicity that is unsustainable.

A White House official rejected the notion that there’s a culture of paranoia.

Spicer on Tuesday emphasized that cellphone checks are not White House policy and said that neither he nor others are still conducting them. “The only incident in which that occurred was limited to the one involving myself,” he said.

Trump has a history of overseeing pressure-cooker organizations rife with suspicion, setting up sophisticated surveillance in part to monitor employees at his properties, including at his campaign headquarters, where some campaign aides suspected their offices were bugged.

One widespread concern in the Trump White House: that career intelligence operatives are working to undermine the new president through a series of leaks of classified information.

Much of the suspicion is directed at the Central Intelligence Agency, which many Trump loyalists believe is targeting CIA skeptics who sit on the National Security Council. Some of them allege that the CIA was behind the damaging leaks to the press that culminated in the resignation of National Security Adviser Michael Flynn in February and that the agency has pushed for the removal of other staffers.

More at the link
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-white-house-paranoia-236069

This is really troubling for a lot of reasons. While I'm glad that working for Trump seems to be a living hell, It's going to make staffing the rest of the government nearly impossible. Though maybe that's a good thing. Also record keeping is going to be a huge problem if you're relying on secret apps.

Saya

Wrong, the WH is running like a fine tuned machine.

pqzq7cD.gif

"we never do cell phone checks, the only time that that incident occurred was that time where yknow we did do that but swearsies we don't do it anymore"

CHC

Well, yeah, when you make literally everyone your enemy, this kind of shit tends to happen.

Fuck him, fuck all the cunts who decided to work for him. I hope they lose sleep knowing that they have no stability, no allies, and are spending their days participating in the most corrupt and wannabe-despotic administration in modern American history.

It's not paranoia
There are no "perceived" enemies

Trump spent the entire campaign shitting on everyone in Washington. They do hate you, they are your enemy.

I hope this is true. I hope it leads to a massive fuck up. Not a nuclear missile size fuck up but one good enough to really damage the administration.

mnannola

Being the POTUS seems like one of the hardest jobs in the world when the WH is running as smoothly as it can.

What about when it's run by amatures and fearmongers? What WH functions are being ignored or underperformed due to the hectic nature of this staff?

I'm sure it's complete chaos.

Sounds like a Nixonian White House administration, in which individuals within the cabinet were working fiercely against each other, forming different alliances throughout the government that worked against each other.

jelly

Is Washington functional right now and just running how Obama left it or is it a shit show behind the scenes with nothing working?

zethren

Banned
Is Washington functional right now and just running how Obama left it or is it a shit show behind the scenes with nothing working?

There is very little of anything functional about the current state of the executive branch. It's a mess.

Washington is never truly functional. Washington is an exercise in dysfunction under every president, and it was also dysfunctional when Obama was president, but Trump's administration is an utter mess, juxtaposing themselves as antagonists to most of the Washington bureaucracy... And it's just become ever more dysfunctional.

Afrodium

Banned
I mean, it's pretty clear that there are a number of civil servants trying to undermine him and members of the intelligence community working against him, so I wouldn't exactly say he's paranoid.

However there is the larger question of why so many people who work with/under him are sharpening their knives.

It's because he's a piece of shit unqualified manchild with ties to Russia.

BasicMath

Yeah, Trump needs to put a stop to this and take control. This stuff is hurting America and helping Dems (and adversary states) undermine both him and the office of the POTUS.

If he can't do that, then he needs step down and let Pence take over.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Glad to hear that the administration that ran on a platform of hate, fear and witch-hunting is shooting itself in the foot with its own bullshit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If it makes them more inefficient at establishing long lasting damaging policies, then this is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom