• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing The Last Guardian, first time, not enjoying it

televator

I loved ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. That said, the very first thing that stood out to me in TLG were the god awful controls. Not a good first impression. The previous games didn't have exemplary controls but TLG goes beyond and into the realm of borderline broken. Horrible acceleration, lag, and terrible contextual detection.

Anyway, that wasn't the deal breaker, but I noted that I'd have to wait and see how the rest of the game catches my attention. So I progress after you
see the other Trico and the revolving enemies that are planted into the ground
, and along the way... I'm pretty bored. I started to think back how I never felt like this in the previous games. Then I get to where you have to get Trico to pull the chain while you put a metal object under the gate that is controlled by the chain. I had to put a bucket of bait for Trico to become interested in it. I succeeded, and all that was left was to leave the area by way of higher ground. So I got on top of Trico and pointed toward the exit... Trico responds by going back under the gate and into the previous area. Thing is, he's not even playing with the baited chain anymore and he's just sitting there staring at it like he's in a trance. He won't respond to calling or pushing or anything. I cant even unhook the bait from the chain to get him to follow it. I kinda wanna quit the game at this point TBH. Restarting this area is kinda tedious as it involves a few steps.

Anyway, I just feel a bit surprised that this is how I feel at this point about the game. I was not expecting this and just wanted to tell GAF about it. Do things pick up a bit more later or is it going to be more of the same? Should I stick with it and force myself through?

Persona7

Banned
Terrible controls, AI and technical issues persist throughout the entire game. Totally half baked and extremely frustrating. It feels like a bloodborne situation where the game is pushed out a few months early but knowing the history of this game it just shows that it is deeply flawed to the core.

Ratrat

I don't think the game really changes drastically. If you dislike it early on, there isn't anything later that will change your mind.

Personally, I loved it. If Trico, the art direction, level design, puzzles, music and story don't draw you in you may as well quit.

Popsickles

I enjoyed my time with the game but I am surprised there hasn't been any patches to address some of the issues.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The game was an amazing experience, but the game is loaded with jank. The acceleration issue stems from the fact that there is no walking... You either tip toe or Sprint and that's it.

I had similar complaints and stuck with it.

Honestly, it wasn't worth the time or effort.

I should mention I'm also a huge fan of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

I enjoyed The Last Guardian.

That said, I can completely understand why someone would be turned off by it. If you're not enjoying it at all, then the later parts of the game probably won't change your mind.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Terrible controls, AI and technical issues persist throughout the entire game. Totally half baked and extremely frustrating. It feels like a bloodborne situation where the game is pushed out a few months early but knowing the history of this game it just shows that it is deeply flawed to the core.

Yep

The more i think about the more i just hated the entire experience of the last guardian except for like 1 or 2 minor things

The game does pick up slightly in terms of environments and different types of ouzzles, but tricos AI gets significantly worse in these bits

Join the club. Played up until the first antenna, struggling with the controls and camera the entire time, and gave up. One of the only games I've ever quit without finishing.

I've never played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus though. I do want to go back to it but don't know if I ever will.

*TRIGGERED*

please explain what do you mean by 'a bloodborne situation'.

Mutombo

I didn't mind the controls, I just found it boring to play. Quit halfway through. I am trying to sell it or trade it for another game now, but no succes of yet.

ricelord

Plz explain.

Fonds

jck.gif

The only time I ever had trouble with Trico not doing what I wanted was when you have to
swim under the water gates. In the end I found the best method was to start swimming down and he'd carry you through automatically.

The controls are undeniably clunky but i got used to them pretty quickly and ended up loving the game. If you're really not enjoying it, it's probably best to quit while you're ahead. It's definitely not for everyone.

Paertan

I loved it and hated it. The controls, camera, AI and movement made me curse a lot. But I loved so much else with the game. A few months of polishing would have been great but seriously they worked on the game forever. It should have been fixed!

Jonnax

It found playing it quite stressful at points. Until I just decided to play it in short bursts.

Do 1 or 2 puzzles at a time and then put it down.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Somebody Please tell me what was wrong with Bloodborne @ release.. I fail to see what was wrong with it.

This game have a lot of lows... But.. them highs are of another level and Trico is one of my favourite companions ever. I really really REALLY loved this game.

Apenheul

I had the same experience as you OP, though I kept on playing and must say that the second half of the game is significantly better than the first half. It won't become your favorite game of 2016 but it might still feel worth your time.

Bulby

Played for maybe 3 hours amd havnt picked it up since. What was there didnt particularly grab me. I loved the asthetic and though Trico looked and animated amazingly well. But I found the gameplay too trial and error.

Vorheez

Yeah, tlg was pretty bad. It was a huge letdown coming from sotc. Terrible controls, bland concrete world, and terrible AI.

The game just wasn't fun to play. It felt like a chore.

what.png

What on earth is that about

Initially loved it for the creature Ai alone , but then started to see its repetitiveness and terrible controls the more you play.

AI is still a marvel but the rest not so much, also felt it dragged on way longer then it should .

televator

The game was an amazing experience, but the game is loaded with jank. The acceleration issue stems from the fact that there is no walking... You either tip toe or Sprint and that's it.

Yeah that's true. Sometimes I wanna go medium speed and he either tip toes at a snail's pace or lunges forward. Like why can't I walk? First time I got outside, I wanted to take in what view I could see while walking. Nope, game has no such thing. Lame.

Anyway, I restarted from checkpoint and it started me at the end of the tedious puzzle rather than at the begining and I got a bit further.

Yep

The more i think about the more i just hated the entire experience of the last guardian except for like 1 or 2 minor things

The game does pick up slightly in terms of environments and different types of ouzzles, but tricos AI gets significantly worse in these bits

Not what I was hoping to hear. I find myself sighing and rolling my eyeas frequently enough where I'm at. lol

Yoday

I'm kind of in the same boat. Lived ICO to death, but the last guardian just hasn't been able to grab me. I finally picked it up when it dropped in price, and I put it back on the shelf after about an hour. I forgot I even had it to go back to until just yesterday. My first impressions were that it looks like a higher res PS3 game, and it plays like a sloppy PS2 game. I still want to give it another chance, but I don't have high hopes for sticking with it.

The controls aren't going to get any better. Personally, I don't think this game is anywhere near the level of Ico and SOTC, but I did still find it a pretty remarkable experience overall. The puzzle design is generally good, the story stayed with me for a good few days. It's a horrifically frustrating experience because the controls are just so bad, but I certainly don't regret playing it.

Bloodborne situation...yeah right.

I thought The Last Guardian was solid 8.5. Yeah the controls sucked, but it was still a great game. I didn't have much trouble at all controlling Trico. I think that comes down to player skill to be honest.

I remember getting completely pissed off by ICO's control and puzzle design. (To be fair I played it right after finishing The Last of Us so it's REALLY hard for me to adjust.)
But still in the end I really loved the game and would consider it to be one of the best game of 2001.
It's a magical experience for me, the only down side is that it's way too short.
I hope I feel the same about The Last Guardian, because I really love the art style and atmosphere of Fumito Ueda universe.

p.s. I am still waiting for the performance patch, don't wanna let shitty framedrop ruin the set pieces for me.

Kill3r7

Personally I would recommend taking your time with. It is really important that you get to enjoy your budding relationship with Trico. Think of it as a pet. Enjoy the adventure and exploration elements as you ascend the tower. If not, the experience will feel very hollow. Also try not let the technical shortcomings/controls frustrate you. I did and it negatively impacted my enjoyment of the game.

silva1991

Trico responds by going back under the gate and into the previous area. Thing is, he's not even playing with the baited chain anymore and he's just sitting there staring at it like he's in a trance. He won't respond to calling or pushing or anything

Good Lord. If that happened to me I would have thrown the controller.

If the story doesn't grab you enough to enjoy the experience, I don't think you will be satisfied by the end.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I didn't love it.
6.5/10

Wish I loved it more. Struggled with the camera + controls.

Same.

It's not a bad game, it's an amazing game that's kicked down several notches down to something whose sum of its parts is diminished due to all the things commonly held against it (specifically control and A.I).

Finishing it was very cathartic, I wanted to stop every other hour but kept slogging through because just like yourself I loved ICO and SOTC...

...and before anyone goes 'well guess what those games also suffered from similar limitations/downfalls so you must not have really loved them either' - those games are like decades old.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Neither myself nor my girlfriend could being ourselves to finishing it. She enjoyed it more than I did, but the kid controls like absolute fucking garbage and Trico can be infuriating. Simultaneously, coming off of a game like Inside, TLG just felt insanely repetitive in comparison.

SOTC is probably in my top 5 games of all time, but with TLG I put it down after about 2 hours and have no desire to go back. Such a disappointment.

Dingotech

It felt like the most boring sections of Uncharted mashed together with clunky controls and a frustrating animal to control. One of the most disappointing games I played last year.

I'm not sure how the experience/story is supposed to redeem it, it doesn't even really go anywhere major.

But each to their own, I just didn't rate it.

Illucio

Banned
There are some cool moments within the game. But if your not enjoying it early on you will probably not enjoy it late game.

Never did come to love it, instead it felt like I just tolerated it long enough until I got the platinum. Can't see myself returning to it ever again like I do ICO & Shadow of the Colossus for a playthrough every other year.

Top Bottom