• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: Everyone Seems Ready to Rip ME:A to Shreds

mlclmtckr

Banned
I thought this was an interesting article about the really intense backlash to Mass Effect Andromeda we've been seeing.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/everyone-seems-ready-to-rip-mass-effect-andromeda-to-shreds

Much like Mass Effect's own Reapers, there's an observable cycle to how this tends to play out—a snowballing effect. When one person finds a glitch or quirk, people look for others, and as those get shared more widely, it creates the perception that it's all anyone is talking about. Most likely, it's a combination of factors that came together at once, fueled by the class clown nature of social media, in which the thirst for retweets fuels people to try and one up one another. If someone else can get thousands of shares by uploading a GIF that shows the game in a bad light, maybe you can add cheeky music to it and get even more attention.

Facial animations being worse than it's 10 year old predecessor isn't really a witch hunt or opportunism or cherry picking or one-up-manship or any of that though.

In and of itself, no it's not.

But, at least in my experience, the animations are rarely as bad as the moments the internet has chosen to highlight. Which in turn creates the perception that some are scouring for moments to pick at, which is dumb.

Mifune

Mehmber
I found all the vids and memes and piling on to be obnoxious to be honest. But now I've played the game and it really is a bit of a turd, so...

Zukkoyaki

In and of itself, no it's not.

But, at least in my experience, the animations are rarely as bad as the moments the internet has chosen to highlight. Which in turn creates the perception that some are scouring for moments to pick at, which is dumb.

The article in a nutshell haha

AAA game people were very hyped for has awful graphics and bad writing, we rip to shreads because we deserve better from a series that has the reputation it has. Let down doesn't begin to describe it when it was one of your most excited for games of the year.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
They did it with the Order: 1886...
Please don't thrash me lol
Honestly, if the Order 1886 wasn't under 5hrs to complete, and had maybe did a little bit more with the gameplay, it would have gotten a much warmer embrace. The graphics were amazing, and the game was mechanically sound. So a 10hr+ campaign, with a tighter gameplay loop, and it would have had a great showing.

AlexBasch

I feel kinda angry at downloading 44GB and finding out the game is ass.

My ISP doesn't do download caps or anything but...fuck I could have downloaded something else, you know?

Hari Seldon

Contrary to the game press bubble, a lot of people REALLY HATED DA:I. So it is the game after the stinker that is suffering from the backlash. Ask Ubi how this works.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The bigger issue isn't just that Mass Effect Andromeda has some serioues issues in several areas but that its coming out in a time period where it has some competition from all directions that are considered towering achievements in gaming all around. If ME:A hadn't come out right after Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of the Wild and before Persona 5 I think people might have brushed off its more glaring issues or just not noticed them quite as much.

SilentRob

Yes, *all* reviews are wrong. The game is being unfairly criticized. lol

Hey. Maybe try reading the article. Because that's not what it says :)

This thread is going to be full of people laughing at Klepek for trying to excuse the animations and blame the fans when the article isn't about that at all, isn't it?

Lime

People would be much more lenient if the game wasn't such a technical disaster, even compared to previous games like DA:I and ME3. It seems like something went really wrong during its development and it's unfathomable that this was the result after 5 years.

BADMAN

This would be more relevant if it were just jarring facial animations, but in combination with the sloppy animations across the board and the moments of piss poor writing/voice acting direction it was fair to turn it into a shitstorm.

I do agree that part (however small) of it definitely is a certain subset of gamers upset that quite a few of the characters are "attractive" looking. But I think the game largely got a trashing because it didn't look so hot.

yeah that or some things are just funny and people enjoy sharing funny things?

I don't see how enjoying a game because you find it unintentionally humorous is any less valid than enjoying it any other way. I also question why there's an expectation in the videogame industry to "respect" certain games when at the end of the day games are a product like anything else. I don't see any problem with being critical, even if the general consensus is that something isn't very good or if that criticism seems harsh. Consumers don't have any obligation to EA or any other company to like their games or to "be nice on the internet," and I really don't understand why a lot of people place this expectation on consumers instead of the companies who create games.

iskeledz

Banned
ezpYS4K.jpg
Shamelessly stolen from Lirik's stream.

Its because this game SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD. This isn't a delve into new gaming experiences ala new VR games, or the first game from a new studio ala No Man's Sky, or wrestling with technology that is cutting edge like a new switch or scorpio game.

This is the fourth iteration of a beloved game that has been missing for years now. Fans were very clear on what they liked about Mass Effect. Just like weird abstract art, many people felt like they could have written a good ME game. And then to come out with this... its disappointing.

If you fail, you have to take the blame. Bioware failed. Whether its because they had too many new hires who didn't know what they were doing, a lack of oversight from experienced folks, a game that had to be restarted multiple times, lack of money from EA, or a million other reasons we don't know, but its clear that Bioware did fail and hundreds of people poured 5 years of work into a game that should have been better. Not just animation glitches but story, writing, dialogue, characters, lots of meaningless side quests, etc. And there won't be another Mass Effect game now for 3-10 years.

Do we "deserve" a great ME:A? No. Is it ok to fail? Yup. Its also ok for there to be a backlash and for there to be consequences to failing, that is simply business.

This article says nothing about the criticism being unfair.

It's just an examination of internet gif and reaction culture, where focusing on the negative is more popular than the positive.

The internet reaction to Zelda says otherwise. Perhaps both games are receiving the appropriate reaction, on the whole.

Vitacat

A AAA game lives on its marketing and it's graphics. This one fucked up the graphics.

They also screwed with a lot of core gameplay, which left my wife bewildered and disappointed. She's a huge get ME fan, and avoided reading anything about the game to avoid spoilers. Last night was sad to watch, because I really wanted her to be overjoyed about having a new game. But instead I watched her frown and point out all the weird missteps and inexplicable bad decisions surrounding the game. I think we both almost felt like crying a little. Some mean things got said about EA ruining another franchise, and we went to bed.

She's still determined to give the game a chance, but if my wife is struggling to love a ME game then they screwed up, royally.

Jamesac68

Banned
Series has game that doesn't appeal. Walk away and play something else, because it's not like there aren't a million other things to play. Not really sure why this is such a thing, honestly.

joe2187

Banned
I never got over me3 and da2.

I was correct in my assumptions that they are more than just a little lost and confused, theyre downright incompetent.

They also screwed with a lot of core gameplay, which left my wife bewildered and disappointed. She's a huge get ME fan, and avoided reading anything about the game to avoid spoilers. Last night was sad to watch, because I really wanted her to be overjoyed about having a new game. But instead I watched her frown and point out all the weird missteps and inexplicable bad decisions surrounding the game. I think we both almost felt like crying a little. Some mean things got said about EA ruining another franchise, and we went to bed.

She's still determined to give the game a chance, but if my wife is struggling to love a ME game then they screwed up, royally.

Just curious, but what were some of the things that she was disappointed in? She sounds like someone who didn't give in to all the internet BS, so I'm curious what someone who went into it blind reacted like.

The internet reaction to Zelda says otherwise. Perhaps both games are receiving the appropriate reaction, on the whole.

What would even be the negative focus on Zelda though (at least that can be gif-ed)? That'd be reaching to dramatic proportions. And even if that's the point, it's an unrealistic expectation.

Deadstar

People are angry because the series deserves so much better. Mass Effect is an awesome world. The races look cool and are interesting, the decisions you make feel important, you can choose to play paragon/renegade or somewhere in between, the music is fantastic, the graphics look amazing, etc. Those things made the original trilogy. But this new game appears to be missing the mark on almost everything I loved in the previous games. I really don't care too much about the animation to be honest but it's all the other things that make me feel sad for what could have been. I may be spoiled now after Witcher 3 but this game looks like a full generation behind in terms of fidelity.

Slaythe

Can I be honest ?

I think many of us got fucked hard by DA:I.

Andromeda was their last chance.

It's kind of how FFXIII took everybody hostage at first, then the resentment came.

I also don't think anybody was looking for a perfect game, or glitch free experience. But the amount of amateur writing, animations, modeling, and the lack of polish in the game, is just undeniable and a deal breaker for many that cared about immersion in Mass Effect.

Top Bottom